Is home ownership overrated?

Is home ownership overrated?
It just seems like something to tie you down for life. Houses are hard to sell and not very useful given that so many careers require you to move every couple years.
"The things you own end up owning you."

Attached: Montauk.jpg (1200x799, 270.79K)

Some people would really like to live in that house, I believe.

The alternatives are live with your parents until they die, or rent forever to a richer man that bothered to buy the homes. No, it's not overrated

Housing is hot right now. Expensive but they sell fast, like within hours of listing. Problem is the market is overvalued for normal buyers... and interest rates are creeping up.

You don’t have to move every couple of years.

Even if you do, you retain equity in your house and increase it while you live there. When it is time to sell and move, you can transfer most of that to the new property and continue on.

When you rent, your money is gone forever for the month without anything to show for it.

Many mortgages can be cheaper than comparable apartment sizes, plus if you have your own it’s you can grow your own shit.

Buying and holding property made me a millionaire. I won 7 homes now.

Desirable property is sold within a 2 days - 2 months.

You have to put your wealth "somewhere".
1. Maybe you don't have any.
2. Or you trust the stock market. Good luck with that.

Having your own property makes you feel like an adult.

Buy something cheap, pay it off.

It's good when you have equity. I'm not selling another home with a realtor though. They're useless bloodsuckers who completed a 6 week course. Selling on my own next time and saving my 3 percent.

Owning a home, or even paying a mortgage, is a great investment if you don’t live in some shit hole in the middle of nowhere. As other have pointed out, you gain equity in your loan, so the more / longer you pay, you will get that money back when you decide to sell your home. Also, most homes appreciate in value, so also earn money by literally doing just the bare minimum to keep yourself house looking decent and not falling in on itself.

Sure, there’s a couple of catches. Location is one: your house will appreciate more if it’s in near a city or a place where people want to work. Also a few hours within popular destinations, etc. Second is maintenance: some issues out of your control (foundation, roofing, AC) can cost a ton - luckily, those aren’t always issues for homeowners. Do the basics and keep you house looking nice and don’t be a slob and your home should appreciate nicely.

Seriously, if you have the money, get a mortgage. People will ALWAYS want homes in America. It’s a better investment than any sort of digital fun money or risky stock options. It is the cornerstone to most people’s retirement and a solid nest egg that you can leverage for other assets and money down the road.

>Is home ownership overrated?
It was a good deal for boomers but now with house prices you will paying for it forever, if you're lucky enough to even own a house. Many millenials/zoomers are lucky to sleep in a van.

Attached: R (14).jpg (968x634, 266.86K)

Is this Cope?

I'm owned by a house? How does that work?

it's the best way for middle class people to transfer and reliably build their wealth. the problem is the entry barrier to housing is getting increasingly unaffordable. pretty much everywhere.

better than being a rentoid.
>inb4 muh property tax
Even when renting you still pay property tax, albeit indirectly. You really dumb enough to think someone will rent a house at their own expense?

Maybe since the 80s getting a home had its Ups and downd
But now that time is over, and it will literally only go up from here
The population is skyrocketing and new constructions are all sardine can pieces of shit
If you buy actual *land* with a decent-ish house on it within 2 hours from a major city your home value will only go up, forever
And if you don't buy a house in the next few months, enjoy living in a 3 story new construction with a 0.14 acre lot or renting perpetually because Blackrock will see to it that all other property is owned by themselves

Nope, it feels great. It's not a very liquid asset, sure, but once you have plenty of other more liquid assets who cares?

Attached: gurouriasu nippon.jpg (500x375, 35.64K)

Owning a house is worth it if you are over 30 and plan to setttle down. If not there's literally no purpose, when you're in your 20s you should be traveling the world desu

>I'm owned by a house? How does that work?

Some people think that when you buy a property it takes over your life, I suppose it can... if you get in over your head.

BUT IMO? Home ownership forces you to grow up and be responsible. The alternative? Spend all day flipping between various forums at Reddit that demonize capitalism. Which leads nowhere productive.

Simply.. Adults with Credibility own property. You decide if you want to be in that group. The sacrifice forces you add value to your own life and western civilization.

Fuck off Schwab, I WILL own things, I WON'T eat the bugs, and I WON'T sleep in the pod! For that matter, I refuse to live in mega-cities where you can watch every second of my life, I refuse to give up my car, and I refuse to give up my privacy.

best alternatives are vanlife or living off the land, neither of which losers like you would be able stand for more than a week

>500 sq ft of actual lawn front to back.
i would only live here if there was an hoa whose only policy was no niggers

Also by owning a home you are exposed to the price appreciation / depreciation of it

don't forget property taxes :)