Why has '1980's nostalgia' lasted so long...

Why has '1980's nostalgia' lasted so long, even into younger generations which were not around for the 80's (or even the 90's)? Isn't this kind of weird? From what I can find, '80's nostalgia' began as early as the late-90's, with computer programs like the Nesticle Nintendo emulator. And it continues into the present-day. We are now going into the third decade of 1980's nostalgia.

Did this happen in the past? Did people in the 1950's through the 1980's experience 25+ years of 1940's nostalgia? I don't think it worked that way. What changed, Any Forums?

Attached: 11906942624_f9520dcf73_b[1].jpg (1024x1024, 196K)

80s thread number 1234132412432132131232
>what destroyed it all?
gemans and vaticunt
literal nazis.

no one remembers prefab sprout
you even have to remind Any Forums who they are

The 1980s was the last belch of culture from the dying beast that is the west.

Last time the media was for white people

Laws in the 80s let violent cartoons based around action figures happen.
That shit was stopped in the 90s.
There was also mainly PG or R movies.
PG-13 happened in 84 because of red dawn and gremlins.
PG movies prior to that could show full frontal if it wasn't sexualized.
There was also the cool rich American West vs the foraging for potatoes ussr.
The US was badass and cool as fuck back then.
Gore, violence, sex, anti-gay, def anti-tranny, jokes about anything and everything.
Any Forums is pretty much what 80s was.

zoomer here, i grew up watching 80s movies my parents liked and 50s/60s shows my grandparents liked

Attached: idream-genie.gif (220x429, 153.54K)

>muscle cars
>beautiful women in bikinis
>skyscrapers and beaches
>the best party drugs
>best electronic and rock music while still having room for experimental stuff
>entertainment didn't actively hate you.
>reasonably good economy, except for the Carter years.
>Could openly openly laugh at feminists and flamboyant gays without having to live in a cardboard box
>Nerds might have been dumped on, but they had their space with the problematic posse trying to phase them out.
>Texh was new and exciting without being invasive.

There was a big '50s nostalgia-thing in the late '70s.

It didn’t happen because of gremlins; it was that heart pull out scene from Temple of Doom that solidified it.

What changes is everything keeps getting progressively shittier with each year, hence people long for the past. What's hard to understand about that?

Sorry, TECH.

yeah dad had a big thing for the Avengers, and i had a big thing for Diana Rigg especially being 11 and all.

Attached: MrsPeel.jpg (800x1200, 232.59K)

Complete opposite with the 70s and 80s. 1970s was shit with inflation, high gas prices, and a pretty downsided view of america. Then the 80s came along and reversed the pessimism into an optimistic future where mullets, rising economy, technological advances like the home computer, and video game introduction made America a powerhouse again

Here's another example of the 80s.
The sitcom Night Court had a main character that sexually harassed multiple females EVERY episode, including his peers.
Not only that, the guy that played that character won Emmys like 5 years in a row for best comedic supporting character.
That's how much society has changed since the 80s.

All the 90's nostalgia reboots flopped so they went back to mining the 80s for cultural nuggets. The culture of the 2000s was cringe reality TV shows and cringier emo music. The Iphone came about in 2007 and halted new culture from being made because everyone since then lives in their own algorithmic bubble.

The 80s is pretty much the starting point of a lot of culture that continues into the present:
>Star wars, Star Trek (TNG, albeit it more of an 80s-90s thing, it's what influenced modern star trek fans more than the kirk ones), 40k and other sci fi defined the expectation and aesthetics of sci fi
>Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy
>Anime mecha
>Action movies of the 80s shape/flavor patisches of the present
>Musical trends really establish templates to follow from Madonna to Michael Jackson to otehrs
The dominant consumers of culture right now are still people who grew up in the shadow of the 80s.

As for past nostalgia, it may be that there was less available products to consume from past decades in the past. That, and it required the faster clip of cultural progression that we've seen post 45. Culture between 1920 and 1940 was not as stark as between 1990 and 2010.

I do think there was something of that +20 year nostalgia cycle though it was also often a skip further back in time. In the 1940s-50s you still have a love of 20s-30s noir shit but also the sheer hegemony of Wild-West pop culture from fucking 1900 to 1960s.

My parents were able to get a large apartment with a grocery store salary back in the 80s

>Did this happen in the past?
Yes, from the 70's to the 90's it was 50's nostalgia because that's was the Boomer's most nostalgic period and they were a big demographic ripe for targeting by ad agencies. Now the new target demographic is millennials and the 80's/90's. Soon it'll be the zoomers or the alphas and whatever years tickle their nostalgic money bone.

Do u even have to ask?

Attached: 77E5D059-F2D8-46DB-8218-473A4689AA8B.jpg (600x607, 97.89K)

80s and 90s nostalgia has lasted for so long because no new IPs have come along. The only new things that found mass cultural relevancy since the 90s have been SpongeBob and Pokémon

>no one remembers prefab sprout
wrong, famalam

Hence why the 80s were so big on retro-futurism most like. I cannot think of just about any big retro trends in the 80s, the most notable would be Back to the Future and that is leavened with time travel. Streets of Fire might be another competitor but the trailer gives me much more of a 80s vibe than 50s one.

I understand the change of today to the 80s, it's 30-40 years. That's like being shocked 1940 is different from 1900. It's how break neck and unsustainable it is now that's fucked up. 2010 is treated as far back as 1980 is culturally. Fucking humor from 2014 will get you crucified and it's 8 years ago.

It was when masculinity and femininity exhaled their final breaths.

Attached: He-Man.jpg (640x638, 74.74K)