So I just watched Platoon and it made me wonder if the phenomenon of PTSD only occured in Soldiers that knew that the...

So I just watched Platoon and it made me wonder if the phenomenon of PTSD only occured in Soldiers that knew that the war they were fighting in was pointless. We hear nothing about WW2 veterans suffering from mental instability and most seemed to live normal lives after the war, starting families, going to university... yet the Vietnam war and recent Middle Eastern conflicts have created a generation of drug addicts and broken men.

Attached: 800px-WW2_Marine_after_Eniwetok_assault.jpg (800x702, 98.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=40F0ECB137DDB2B5D3710D16A59A8332
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WW2 vets did suffer PTSD.

However, the Average American infantryman in WW2 saw about 40 days of combat in 4 years. The average infantryman in Vietnam saw about 240 days in 1 year.

idk ask their beaten children

It uses to be called shell shock fuckhead, it's well documented after ww1 and ww2

it just had a different name in WW and WW2, shell-shocked syndrome. the damaged veterans were left to rot after the war was over and their suffering was just ignored by the government afterwards.

Attached: ss.jpg (198x255, 12.82K)

during the first war it happened to everyone due to non stop artillery, you would be shocked to hear how many shells were fired, it constantly rained hell and after a day or two you lose it, for the second war not many were affected because there wasn't that much artillery, it was more mechanized and as such you either instantly die or get wounded and instantly evacuated instead of sleeping in a trench that keeps moving from non stop artillery, as to the wars that came after one could say that they kept telling the soldiers about these ptsd stories and how they affect them so it got into their head, you could call it reverse psychology or just vets abusing the system to get money after they quit for life

Yes!

Look in to PTSD rates for white soldiers fighting in the Rhodesian Bush War- nonexistant though there are many parallells with Vietnam.

Except of course they all knew what they were fighting for and believed in the cause.

you're forgetting the rampant PTSD in the first world war.

my grandpa's shell shocked NEET-alcoholic uncle lived with him out in the country, said he was kind of spooky

yeah but what I'm getting as it that after WW1 and 2 they came back to an economy that was on fire and could easily find jobs. They knew that what they were fighting for brought results. The Vietnam veterans came back to a country that hated them and an economy that was in the toilet.

>it made me wonder if the phenomenon of PTSD only occured in Soldiers that knew that the war they were fighting in was pointless
no, but it could probably contribute to the stress

Shellshock and PTSD are not the same thing. You can get shellshock from attending too many heavy metal concerts. It's about vibration and resonance, not psychological impact.

germany fired 222 million rounds during the first war, the second wasn't even close to that number

Attached: Military_Field_Artillery_Numbers_by_Country_in_1919.jpg (1367x2689, 893.97K)

It was called shellshock back then and is widely documented. There was an instance so bad it caused widespread delusions and hallucinations on both sides of the trenches.

Where'd you get the idea that WW2 didn't create traumatized soldiers suffering from PTSD? My dad told me about "drunkards" living in the forest he and his friends laughed at when they were kids, only later to find out they were veterans broken by war.

Most soldiers didn’t shoot in WWII during engagements. Those that did, the majority purposely missed. Following this, the U.S. military changed its training doctrine to help destigmatize the taking of another life. This coupled with This user’s point as well as the fact that society was either indifferent, openly hostile, or at best served up lukewarm platitudes of support. So GI’s who still had a conscience, fought for far less amount of time consistently, and had a huge social safety network to return to vs. GI’s trained to dehumanize any potential target, near constant mid-level intensity engagements, and a society that spat on them on their return.

PTSD literally means my consciousness is dirty

forgot to add this dope photo of a ww1 vet

Attached: n8u34i363TzM1QeUgVidSVLbfzUr4SQEwLtRQ76Apes.jpg (540x597, 57.15K)

World War I and II vets definitely did, but there was no post-military incentive to talk to others about what you had experienced. They just dealt with it the best they could. Some became alcoholics, some killed themselves, some just had nightmares, others it didn't really effect. As said, there's an incentive now to being diagnosed with PTSD. Not so much only for the benefits, but many feel like that's a way they can relate to other veterans and society in general after getting out - "the PTSD suffering combat veteran" is an archetype which has been pushed hard in the US since the early 2000s and they're viewed less as lost causes(like Vietnam vets were) and more as a normal part of life in a country that had been at war for 20 years straight.

my british great grandfather fought in ww1 brutal trench warfare getting shelled then was a bike scout in the Dardanelles and got sniped but lived

zero ptsd, no drinking problems, but he would never talk about the war or watch violence in movies. Has 6 kids, lived until he was 98 always happy and jovial.
Guess men back then were made of harder material or they weren't drafted and volunteered for violence

i can't speak on their behalf, some adjusted to life after the war, some did not, but it was a huge price to pay and no doubt their humanity was damaged. there's probably as many different reactions and perspectives on the matter as there were soldiers in those wars.

this, when you keep talking about something it will eventually get into the soldier's head and he will start believing he has it, it's like how some normal individuals wake up one day and decide that they are faggots, simply because they heard about it so much that it messed their brain

libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=40F0ECB137DDB2B5D3710D16A59A8332
If anyone wants to read more about this