Give it to me straight, fellow anons...((Part Dos))

Project Orion...the space ship designs from the 50s/60s using controlled nuclear detonations to propel the ship through space at a pretty good clip, apparently...

As far as I know, it's the only legitimately "could be built today" option to travel within our own solar system ~easily~, but obviously the nuclear aspect was a PR problem back in the day. Still, they are supposedly viable. Earth to Mars in a couple of months, right?

What do you think? Are there some up there already, or are we incapable of making this a reality?

Attached: orions2.jpg (700x495, 54.35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Lp--itIOoLI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtu.be/Lp--itIOoLI

we got UFOs
those are obsolete

Attached: Project_Orion_design.jpg (812x600, 133.79K)

It's not that easy or practical. Huge investments involved. Heavy ship and expensive albeit high energy fuel. You still have to put it into orbit the conventional way, which means assembling or building it there, since the concept doesn't work on a small scale.

Attached: Orion_Taylor.jpg (1100x1284, 110.86K)

It sounds like a very dubious idea and there are better options now.

Righr, definitely effort involved. But supposedly it's the only viable non-tin foil method with current tech. And they can be reused for a while it sounds like, multiple trips back and forth from wherever.

Probably gonna be better to wait until next gen engines are truly ready, say fusion. Nuclear Propulsion really seems like a stopgap before you get the good stuff.
That said, weren't there concepts to heat a fuel in a reactor, without literally pooping nuclear bombs?
I can see nuclear propulsion as a suitable starter engine though, say you hollow out an asteroid somewhat, put the nuke in there, and a buffered shield over the opening, which propels the spacecraft, but ultimately isn't part of it, so it may be reusable.
Like a nuclear cannon of sorts.

there's no reason to use fissiles for ship propulsion. fusion is the way to fly around in space.

You havent been to space, if you have kids they also will never go, and neither will your grandchildren either....only actors and NASA employees ever go to “space”.....space and nukes are both FAKE

Attached: B25C33CE-D05C-451A-9F9E-02BBF750A5B2.png (524x380, 217.89K)

>nuclear cannon launch
Actually seems quite feasible. Maybe a sacrificial shield would be better?
>get big asteroid (or use the moon)
>drill hole down to the middle somewhere
>put nuke in there
>stuff the opening with something that expands when it explodes nuclearly
>put sabot "bullet" in there that serves as a buffer
>finally put the craft into the barrel (which uses some other kind of engine on its own)
Probably best for robotic craft because high G.

You're fake, faggot.

Heres a moon buggy for retards like you to watch

Attached: 03AFBF77-E238-40E6-A535-E789C53C4A2E.gif (293x200, 802.93K)

A moon buggy for ants. What is it Im supposed to see there and believe space is fake?

Jews have an immeasurable hatred for space threads, and will abandon shilling other things just to come raid them

Every flat earth, moon landing hoax, or other /x/ retardation is from the same pack of rats in Tel Aviv

Attached: 1523467292368.png (700x769, 425.94K)

Nuclear option is possibly bad for constant travel, it may leave pollution, we still can't get a grip on how much frozen nuclear waste leaked out of soviet weather satellites from the 70's, it is mixed in with space debris floating around earth

Attached: footfall-michael_by_william_black-d8eudqd.jpg (1600x2083, 407.74K)

>nuclear bottle rocket
More stupid then the regular bottle rockets we occasionally blow ourselves up with.

space has no properties. Assume what you want about it, there's no scientific evidence to back up any claim you make about it. Make of that however you want.

Attached: cd373b11a398ca9153278114f7f2a42f.jpg (850x400, 72.56K)

Attached: footfall_gunship.jpg (802x996, 99.78K)

Attached: niven_pournelle_footfall.jpg (1097x709, 89.76K)

So you dont know? Answer the question. Shills like you post that gif often and I dont know what you think it shows.

Based.

Attached: 1643897654604.jpg (700x1366, 263.74K)

i agree nothing empty exists and that space is therefore not a thing. but space is a word that means where there is less pressure than air 100km altitude, i dont know about that not existing, i am in fact pretty sure. what is that if it is not something? nothing? are you sure? you are wrong i think. space is real and pretty easy. its the only thing we can make infinitely more of with time.