The Great Gatsby

So, is the so-called "definitive American novel" based or cringe? Thoughts, opinions, spoilers?

Attached: The_Great_Gatsby_Cover_1925_Retouched.jpg (1129x1600, 2.65M)

Attached: excerpt.png (646x160, 52.15K)

It's a terrible plot written beautifully IMO. By that I mean, in terms of pure use of the English language, it's outstanding. But Fitzgerald uses that to describe the most pathetic and pointless simpery in history, and that's just awful. Such a waste.

Based
Anti Semitic, anti degeneracy, anti richfags etc

>the most pathetic and pointless simpery in history
You’re not just supposed to unironically swallow that the sun shines out of Daisy’s asshole.

Attached: 359F827C-E631-4586-9FC7-1C07B5585337.jpg (225x225, 7.61K)

Cringe. Tom Buchanan was based

/thread

any story that revolves around women in any way is automatic garbage

Cuckold story

Winter Dreams by the same author is a short story that shows you his views much faster than the Great Gatsby: he hated roasties.

Found it incredibly depressing and empty.

What about Jordan Baker? Tomboy gfs are pretty based
>bretty sure Nick was secretly gay though.

Attached: cheers-leonardo-dicaprio.gif (480x270, 3.59M)

>So, is the so-called "definitive American novel" based or cringe? Thoughts, opinions, spoilers?
It is in fact the definitive American novel, that is why it is cringe and sucks.

He was married to the biggest roastie of all time.

absolute cringe, and it isn't the definitive American novel, Moby Dick is.

>I'd swallow anything that comes out of that asshole, old sport.

Attached: 95d61628854aef8fb491a69236d576d6.jpg (584x876, 76.56K)

He set out to write a venal seller. Plus, he had a small dick.
The book itself is dry as shit. Nothing happens.

>married roastie
>hates roastie
fits

I don't acknowledge the humanity of those things.

gatsby was a shit book

coming through

Attached: hatchet.jfif.jpg (416x639, 38.08K)

What if there was a movie about taking away women's rights and burning them on stakes? Like Fahrenheit 451 except instead of books it's women that step out of line

Great American novel is East of Eden, which also transcends it’s plot to remind us we have free will no matter how much we may think we’re trapped.

Gatsby is also unironically good, as is catcher in the rye (i.e. the one-two punch of high school lit). Gatsby is about the beauty, misery, and pure unattainability of nostalgia. It’s closing lines are some of the most beautiful ever written. Catcher, while less (or more) obvious, is about the loss of innocence, which is absolutely lost on the age group reading it. Read it again in twenty years though and it hurts. It’s similar to gatsby, just less eloquent and more annoying (although that’s by design).

Attached: FEDB929C-FADF-4FFE-8419-2AD48356E910.jpg (720x948, 76.18K)

Gatsby is a tragic figure meant to be pitied, not admired. You missed the point fo the novel.

This nigga thinks that Farenheit 451 was a prescription

The actual book is "The Rising Tide of Colou" by Lothrop Stoddard
public domain and available online

The Rising Tide of Color*

i like the way you think user

Attached: very nice.gif (150x200, 1.07M)

Is it good?

I had better shit to do than this assigned reading in highschool.

based and childhood foundation pinned

He wrote love letters to her constantly. They were both retarded.

>The Great Gatsby
On my bookshelf along with other books for no other reason than to see what the fuss all about & as proof I've read them.
Overrated to death.
Best author to ever come out of America is Cormac McCarthy.
Blood Meridian is an absolute masterpiece.

Attached: 513C4KTMW5L.jpg (304x475, 47.5K)

>“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
Sounds like Any Forums

Attached: E382930B-10C1-4EBB-910D-BF504B6D2614.jpg (600x600, 127.7K)

I thought it was decent
Basically the point was that the ascendancy of Europe had come to an end, whites had overextended their empires, and the rest of the world was breeding faster than whites were, so white people would have to make strategic choices on what areas of their empires to hold on to, as well as not underestimate the muslims or east asians.
Predicted the rise of Japan as an imperial power and the general collapse of European colonial empires in 1920
A couple of his predictions/warnings didn't come true but most did

What about the Iliad?

it's super cringe, Old Sport