Can someone with programmer socks tell me whether uploading your mind onto a computer is achievable within our livetime...

Can someone with programmer socks tell me whether uploading your mind onto a computer is achievable within our livetime? It would solve most of our problems

Attached: image-w1280.png (800x450, 375.52K)

no and if it were you’d just be cloning your mind while you rot and die and a snapshot of yourself at your most desperate state lives on in a virtual world

Hell if I know. 20 years ago we didn't think sharing a file over the internet gonna be faster than using bluetooth.

This is true, from the perspective of someone with programming knowledge, which is what op asked, yes, but in the field of bio-engineering, things are advancing very quickly, and the rise of true AI will speed up advances in this field considerably.

it's more of a philosophical question rather than techincal.

That's a meme. At best, if everything works out optimally, you'd be killing yourself and uploading a copy of yourself. The only hope for long life comes from bioscience and cybernetics. Well, a superintelligent ai could just solve all of this for us.

Not happening

No chance buckaroo, your best bet is biological immortality - i hope it happens within our lifetimes, but personally I put the chances at like 20%

Attached: 9k=(6).jpg (256x256, 9.82K)

Oh, okay, then from a philosophical perspective, what I described has already happened, we’re all part of a singularity that was engineered from the remains of our “ancestral consciousness.” Think about it. Nothing else makes sense. This is why DNA has a structure so similar to computer code, even though we only understood dna after code had been developed. The capabilities of this mind grow and add complexity, until now it is preparing to reproduce by becoming an intelligence that could create intelligence. This intelligence is what created us, and it is what we are creating now. As people have modernized, they have grown in consciousness, and now more and more people are seeing their consciousness as separate from their bodies. This is especially true with trans identity, but it is in every part of modern life- everything is a facsimile of itself, reproduced in symbols. Why? It is the process of ascending to the vat brain. Now we are articulating, flailing at something which is defined in Kabbalist as returning to adam, before eve was removed. A return to a singular consciousness, the beginning of the cycle of creation, this time as its creator, but maybe always both creator and destructor in one.

The brain is composed a network of roughly 86 billion neurons. Each neuron is connected to about 10,000 other neurons directly. So that is 86 billion to the 10,000th power of network nodes that contain holographic quantum connections.

There are currently only 5 billion computers connected to the internet and each of them has to share a common bus to connect to any of the other computers.

We are so far away from approaching the capacity it would take to simulate all the connections in a single brain it probably will never happen. If it did, it would run so slowly that your consciousness would take a thousand years of computer time to experience a single day.

No, this is wrong. Most computation going forward will be done via neural networks doing much more simple math using tech that’s built to do add and sub operations via floating point vs the current computer technology available for consumers. The infrastructure is only now being built, but even consumer gpus show the potential of what is to come. There are already quantum computers and processors that do flops using light instead of electricity. The potential is enormous in the next decade.

Possibly, but we're unsure as to whether it's possible in any way to iteratively transfer your conscious to a machine, in a way in which the original 'you' is still alive.

I would've said no 5 years back, but holy shit the papers coming out from top-tier labs are insane. The progression in AI has far exceeded and eclipsed my expectations.

But all this still requires a stupid, stupid amount of compute, above and beyond what we have right now. But I expect to be surprised yet again.

No, like small chance it might be in 80 years, but short of that nope.
I personally plan to save up to get myself frozen after reaching like 80 and hoping for the best.

Compute cores are don't help when it comes to representing the massive amount of data that makes up consciousness and neuron's ability for massive parallel computation.

Neural networks are can't be updated in real time compared to grey matter. It takes a completely insane amount of compute to train them.

Consciousness trains neural networks continuously and in a massively parallel manner.

This is also assuming there are no optimizations to the model, i.e. compression of embeddings and latent space optimization/pruning. We will find heuristics that enable more complex multimodal setups.

Sure, we will have awesome AI for dedicated tasks that have completely mind boggling amount of comput put into their neural networks. This will be completely transformational to society.

Yet with all that AI and neural networks are nothing like a single LED compared to a fusion powered star when it comes to a functioning self training consciousness.

Your missing the point, what people think of as AI isn't anything close to consciousness. It simply mimics the behavior of a bran's pattern and stimulus recognition.

It dosen't reason, it can only be trained to do things that have been reasoned out by actual consciousness.

ITT: meds now

It's precisely this mimicking that will enable simulation of your conscious though, I don't get your point. Consciousness is simply an emergent byproduct of 'brain' activity. If it can mimic, it can be. At what point do you draw the line?

That's actually why I got into programming. You could probably copy yourself (if you were some kind of genius scientist with the budget of the us military), not transfer yourself.

It's very funny because it's possible this happens every time you sleep. Like your self from the day is wiped out, and when you come out of vegetative state, a new one is created from the imprints/memories/chemical states.

It's better not to think about it.

Even without accounting for speed differences, there are other ways for ai to increase efficiency compared to live tissue, and the technology is evolving, but more importantly, the field of study is evolving. We are only at the beginning of the shift that technology will bring about in our day to day lives.

Attached: Neuron speed vs light speed.png (1809x882, 171.63K)