Do you know why ‘John, 50’ is such a depressing story?

do you know why ‘John, 50’ is such a depressing story?

its not because it took 50 years for John to accept what she’s always wanted.

its because we recognize 50 as far, far past the physical and mental prime of life.

its because we recognize that even if John finds happiness, they have strikingly few years left to explore themselves

i know we all joke around about the Wall and how we all have Peter Pan Syndrome, but its never made sense to me why we accept aging

it doesnt need to be this way. there are legitimate technologies out there that could completely stop/reverse aging, we just need to pay more attention to it

cellular reprogramming via yamanaka factors, senolytics, sirtoin upregulation via small molecules, and so much more

consider doing a small monthly donation to the SENS Research Foundation.

or, better yet, join the field as either a phd student, programmer, or researcher. theres tons of lgbt people here, all with identical goals

we never need to die. we NEVER need to die. we could be the first immortal generation, its a legitimate possibility especially if youre in your 20’s or younger right now

Attached: 4F0763A5-F8F1-4BDA-B058-91B1F6955EDC.jpg (750x593, 32.99K)

sounds nice in theory but have you really thought this through? i feel like maybe humans are meant to die after a while for a good reason

Attached: 1654058346162.jpg (1080x1080, 170.91K)

Another BPDfag scared of ageing

i unironically do not want to accumulate even 200 years of psychological baggage, never mind thousands or even millions of years, and if my personality gets erased completely anyway, why do i need to be immortal?

yeah maybe people, but that doesn't include you, right? are you really so flippant about your own life?

>SENS Research Foundation
based
death is a solvable problem that results from a combination or probability over time of individual treatable diseases and failure points in the brain and body

Peace be with you, John 50

what makes you think you and i are better/have more intrinsic value than some random person on the other side of the world?
do you think only a few people should get to live forever? sounds like eugenics

>always wanted
How do you know she felt dysphoria her whole life? It's not mentioned in the story, just a vague 'for years'. It could be middle life crisis induced dysphoria for the last ten years (40-50).

who is this john 50 person and where can i read more about them

>what makes you think you and i are better/have more intrinsic value than some random person on the other side of the world?
first of all, based.
second, we all die. we all go back to the ground and life continues on as it always has. the earth is 4.5 billion years old, humans have only been around for like 6 thousand of those. Our lives are such a small blip in time.

You know stopping your body from auto decaying doesn't mean you become immune to bullets right

yes there's no point in delaying the inevitable imo
yes, what's your point?

you can die if you want, i believe in legal euthanasia too, but death shouldnt be FORCED on you

yes, its called self preservation

if we fix aging, we have probably unlocked ways to increase our neuroplasticity too! youre thinking about this from a very ‘modern day’ human perspective. imagine transhumanism, where you have an extremely dense brain capable of understanding and parsing your millions of years of lived experience

‘we’ve always gotten polio! no use in curing it’

absolutely dumb jfc

Attached: 05197562-22F7-4D62-88D6-740A025F72C8.jpg (641x680, 72.29K)

If you 'live forever' you can still kill yourself at any time if you want to stop living, you're not just trapped

nothing, but that's just illusory. you're just projecting your consciousness onto others' (still anchored in you). the only thing you have access to is yourself. other people worthless without (you)r existence.

>imagine transhumanism, where you have an extremely dense brain capable of understanding and parsing your millions of years of lived experience
i see, so you're magically fixing aging and neurology at the same time while somehow expecting us to relate to such an experience at all

>you can die if you want, i believe in legal euthanasia too
ok based and the transhumanism part is based too, but for scientific advances like this you need funding, and rich people only care about themselves so they'll gatekeep it from the average person like always
alright if you have the option to die whenever you want maybe it wouldn't be so bad
>the only thing you have access to is yourself. other people are worthless without (you)r existence
holy cringe, sociopathic behavior

I would like to accumlate 200 or so years of baggage. I don’t really want to live forever, but I think I could go for 250 years or so.

many of these problems are related to each other, we arent ‘fixing them at the same time’, both of them have the same root causes

and yes, i expect you to have at least a little imagination.

it is extremely unlikely that itll be gatekept. the most promising direction right now (cellular reprogramming) isnt cheap, but isnt extremely expensive either, costs about the same as chemo

as a side note, rich people benefit from a population that doesnt need to retire so early or have as many age-related diseases they need to pay for via company health insurance. maybe us poors wont get the primo stuff, but longevity drugs is mutually beneficial to all groups

Of course you can, imo the draw is giving more people agency of when they die and especially making it so your body doesn't turn to trash making life more enjoyable.
If the rich vampires fund it I don't think they will be able to really suppress it, the people working in it will want it for themselves and will leak the tech to China or whoever doesn't give a shit about IP laws

>holy cringe, sociopathic behavior
doesn't make it not true. you're just trying to escape your death by escaping through another. it's not virtuous, you're just being scammed.

you aren't wrong though.
i just want to live as a hot girl for the rest of my days
but even if i were immortal my head is too big to be a woman's

>but its never made sense to me why we accept aging
because nobody has found a solution. the moment a solution gets found people will start fearing that they will be excluded