Keroro Gunsou

Why did this series never get further english translations beyond volume 20? Did it drop in popularity somewhere after that?

Attached: 89.jpg (640x480, 32.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TGzddKRtUeA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was a fine series, so surely they didn't just give up the publications for no reason.

Attached: 90.jpg (1075x1652, 689.18K)

Worse. Tokyopop died after volume 21 and nobody felt like continuing the translations. The official release was one of Tokyopop's more popular series, too. Every volume had a fancy foil cover.

Attached: s-l500(2).jpg (351x500, 38.75K)

PS. Be happy that, against all odds, the anime is actually getting an official release in the west. It was VERY high on my list of shit I honestly thought would never happen, especially since the first attempt at a western release underpermformed pretty hard.

The manga was originally aimed at adults and teens,but once an anime company saw the cute frogs as marketeable to little kids they adapted it to a childrens anime and the manga was heavily toned down as a result, the latest chapters/volume have a really "cheap" looking art when compared to the earliest ones almost if Mine Yoshizaki no longer gives a single shit about it, so I can't blame people to lose interest for it over the years (after all the lack of interest was what let to the anime's cancellation)

Attached: z1464615945417.jpg (2844x1624, 2.19M)

I'm still waiting for them to continue the dub

Attached: z98567.jpg (939x1101, 394.73K)

Fanservice aside, the anime is pretty much a straight upgrade in every other aspect. I only watched it for the first time last month, and I was amazed that nearly every problem I had with the manga was fixed in the anime.
>Kululu actually seems to give a shit about the other frogs outside of fucking with them
>instead of Dororo betraying Keron and actively working against the other frogs, he just gets pissy whenever an invasion plan involves environmental destruction
>the "Tamamo is gay" joke that consumed his character in later volumes is toned way, way down (Koyuki, too)
>Yoshizaki's bizarre love of having characters randomly wax poetic to make a chapter seem more poignant (especially Dororo and Mutsumi) has been GREATLY reduced
>the frogs actually remember that they're supposed to invading shit more than once a volume
>the awful "Fuyuki falls asleep watching a video of Keroneons playing soccer" chapter got reworked into a much more entertaining Inazuma 11 parody (it was, by far, the absolute worst chapter of the manga)

youtube.com/watch?v=TGzddKRtUeA

can't find actual video opening on youtube anymore, but op 3 was iconic in my heart

I didn't realized, that's exciting

Attached: 91.jpg (1143x602, 120.75K)

Vol21, you mean. And the publisher actually close doors. Some other series were picked up by other publishers afterwards, but I guess no one was interested in Keroro. Its volume sales in Japan fell a lot shortly afterwards too, due to the anime dying and bad reaction to a character they introduced around that point.

>instead of Dororo betraying Keron and actively working against the other frogs, he just gets pissy whenever an invasion plan involves environmental destruction
Eh, the anime pushes the trauma switch way too much. I guess manga Dororo ends up being too overpowered and pretty much ending things when he gets involved, but anime Dororo often ends up way too one note.

>the "Tamamo is gay" joke that consumed his character in later volumes is toned way, way down (Koyuki, too)
How far did you get in the manga? That pretty much dies there after the Zoruru vs Dororo chapter (Vol14 or 16, I can't remember right now) when there's a scene with Tamama thinking Keroro's fame was exaggerated. The anime, on the other hand, actually HEAVILY pushes it in later episodes. There's an entire story about Tamama attempting to kiss Keroro.

Attached: krr266-2.jpg (640x480, 57.39K)

didn't even realize there was a published 21st volume, it was ridiculously hard to get my hands on store copies at the time. Either way, I heard about the disliked character they introduced. Was it really that bad?

Attached: 92.jpg (238x318, 9.48K)

>Was it really that bad?
Kind of? He was pointless in the end. New Keroro was basically young Taruru as an actual main cast member, and with fighting ability comparable to the platoon members.

People feared he'd be the new protagonist, when he was clearly more a 6th Ranger that then got sidelined. He was obviously created with a new anime in mind (a color change ability in a black and white manga?), but they could only get flash shorts off the ground.

Attached: keroro_23_0013.jpg (1102x1584, 513.36K)

Mois' cute breasts.

his design sticks out sorely compared to the rest of the platoon, it's kind of an odd choice.

Attached: 93.jpg (736x1054, 121.76K)

i owned up to volume 12 or so and i remember selling them for like two dollars each at a local anime con
i don't regret it after seeing all the censorship, honestly
fuck tokyopoop

I liked fat Keroro from the early volumes the best

Attached: Keroro Natsumi.jpg (548x834, 69.16K)

>The manga was originally aimed at adults and teens
The "Shounen" in Monthly Shounen Ace means literally kids, not adults.

>(after all the lack of interest was what let to the anime's cancellation)
Nah, the issue was that Bandai was the main sponsor and they pulled out of the anime in the last season. There were even episodes sponsored by Takara at that point (with stuff like a Keroro Starscream released in a kid's magazine).

Bandai changed focus from using Keroro to introduce model kits to kids to pushing Gundam to them directly with SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors, and then AGE, following Build Fighters and a lot of other stuff in the following decade.

Keroro has done a lot of collabs, but it's clear they never managed to find someone else that would put in as much money into Keroro to back up another anime.

Attached: krr_transformers_KeroroScream_B_05.jpg (675x900, 479.84K)

>How far did you get in the manga?
I've read all that's been translated, but I only personally owned the first 13 volumes or so, so those are the ones I have the clearest memories of. New volumes started only coming out once a year because Tokyopop caught up to the Japanese release, so it was a bit hard to keep interested. The only thing I remember from after the big story arc with Giroro's brother was Alisa Southerncross (god her name was a pain to look up) getting way too much screentime.

>Nah
Yeh, nowadays no one gives enough of a shit to pick the manga up and on top of that the later volumes barely have any fan letters or fanart at all like in the past
Fuck, marry, kill

Attached: Keroro girls.jpg (770x1200, 157.49K)

As much of a crush i had on natsumi when i was younger, i loved her mom much more.

Whatever happened to the red frog's crush to Natsumi? Did they get together or he keeps getting cucked by the reality pen faggot?