What changed bros

Suddenly remembered Suisei no Gargantia existed and rewatched it after how many years. I haven't watched anime in a long time ever since I became a manga fag, less time too unlike during my highschool days. But damn, this shit was good, this show is like when you watch a good movie and wished they made a show out of it so you could have more but you're afraid they'd just fuck it up. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but after reading so many mangas and seeing clips of all the newer animes these past years, it's just too clear how different the atmosphere of it felt. I could very confidently say, we'll never get another anime like Suisei no Gargantia

Now I didn't post this to start some rant or debate about old or new being better, but is it just me or is there like a massive tonal difference between the early 2000s stuff and now? I'm talking about both the storytelling, and atmosphere that just makes it so easy to identify if it's an older or newer one. For example, I can never imagine Monster's adaptation getting released today without major changes to how the experience of watching it feels; or Tora Dora's drama having the same impact as it did if it was adaptated today. If you go even further back in time the differences are even more clear VISUALLY sure (eg. gore, bare tits); but with the early 2000s stuff it's very much more of an feel than a visual difference.

Attached: image_2022-09-07_180540220.png (960x640, 510.17K)

Yeah I didn't read any of that, but I'm gonna post Ridget.

Attached: Gargantia 05 [BDRip 1920x1080 x264 FLAC].mkv_snapshot_15.47_[2019.10.07_04.01.53].jpg (1920x1080, 230.92K)

Thanks bro, based post

Tone-wise Gargantia was an outlier when it came out, it is a somewhat experimental show in this sense. Its general atmosphere reminds me of a certain kind of 90s scifi and fantasy ovas/movies like Windaria, but it uniquely combines that atmosphere with the visual techniques of 2010s. There will never be anything like it because it was supposed to be the first of its kind and it wasn't successful enough.

Man I wish there was more like this show. I was also thinking it might just be a mecha anime thing but I don't watch enough of them to actually know that; though I do remember Eureka Seven having a scene where it seems to handle atmosphere a similar way, but I'm not sure either cause I only saw a few episodes as a kid.

Also holy cow this anime is even more amazing than I thought; I was checking if there was an LN but apparently this was a bonafide anime original which is a whole topic itself (too many adaptations not enough original works or stories made specifically for animated medium)

>mangas
>animes

Attached: 18.png (326x522, 345.89K)

Yeah, Bones shows are kind of similar, but not quite. I could describe the difference as NGE influence on Bones shows which is absent in Gargantia. I don't really know if it is due to that influence, if just feels that way.

And yep, TV show and OVAs are all we'll ever get. Being originalsfag is suffering.

thought this was adapted from LNs?
Or are the sequels LNs?

Attached: 1630876579175.jpg (1800x1356, 1.28M)

I fucking loved that show. It should have been dark and depressing considering its post apocalyptic but for the most part its a fun fish out of water adventure until the last few episodes.
The ED song remains one of my favourites because of both the visuals and the weird summer evening feel the music has.
Was the movie any good? I never got around to it.

The show was a 6/10 at best, get a grip.

I wouldn't say Gargantia's feel is typical of early 2000s anime. Look at something like Vandread or Divergence Eve. They had a heavy early CGI presence and were often a combination of lazy attempts at comedy followed by a lot of dark and edgy shit with fanservice mixed in for good measure. The mid to late 2000s had the best atmosphere in their shows because they started to ease off on all the overly dark and depressing stuff.
Although on the subject of Divergence Eve I still occasionally fap to Misaki because she was my original waifu.

Attached: fd1c83ac2e514c529f1ec438b05035b2.jpg (1421x2013, 2.11M)

What was a good show from that era then?

Bellows a best

Attached: Damn.jpg (1400x991, 275.97K)

>On April 3, 2015, at an event in Tokyo, Bandai Visual revealed that a sequel for the anime was planned, but due to "various circumstances", was scrapped.[10] The sequel would instead be published as two novels, titled Suisei no Gargantia ~Haruka, Kaigō no Tenchi~ (翠星のガルガンティア ~遥か、邂逅の天地~, "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet: Far Beyond the Chance Meeting of Heaven and Earth"), which were published on August 29, 2015 and March 30, 2016 in Japan.

I actually enjoyed Suisei no Gargantia and you've convinced me to rewatch it again. I remember it being a fun show with a slightly disappointing ending because the war between the two surviving space faring human colonies are just forgotten about. They're clearly a potential threat to Earth because two random soldiers have already ended up back there and it seems likely more will show up someday.

Made sense for it to be the way it was though when you consider the creator's intentions. On an interview, it was apparently for young adults just starting their new life and to show them not to be afraid of the world and how beautiful it can be. Speaking of the music, the ost Iwashiro made was a match made in heaven with this show

I remember watching the first epiode and got hooked!

Attached: gargantia-0102.jpg (1280x720, 64.63K)

just another power fantasy. it better than most of the stuff we have today, but the genre itself is cancer.

Attached: 6282f9e44dee4fb9fec7fd6d9fab596f.gif (500x283, 2.55M)

I'd take more shows like it that 99% of the isekai drivel we have today. I'm so fucking tired of seeing boring modern day nips thrown into fantasy worlds and dominating them because of bullshit superpowers.

gargantia is basicly isekai....

For me the unsaturated story telling is what also adds to that feel, like I can't even remember any of the comedy attempts at all, but everything else including how the plot develops feels so unique and refreshing, or at least at this time.

The best example of this probably is To Love Ru and Sagrada Reset. Even though both of them are just a year apart from each other, Sagrada Reset feels more like something easily identifiable as from that era while with To Love Ru I can easily be fooled if it was remade scene-per-scene with only newer animation being the difference. Sagrada Reset feels like they already knew beforehand how the story starts and how it ends, like it knew exactly what happens after the next thing that'll happen; there's no "going through the motions"

I'd power fantasy Melty iykwim...

The show need another 10 episodes in the middle and a like 5 between him leaving Gargantia and finding the fleet

I'd beg to differ on the power fantasy thing. It was really focused more on a lot of stuff where "I come from a more technologically advanced civilization" didn't matter at all. The OVAs where Chamber is no longer around proved that well, they were great OVAs and no combat nor human antagonist (for at least one of them) were involved at all

We all know Ixion Saga DT was the og isekai

you mean, the wizard of oz