Psycho pass is almost 10 years old

>psycho pass is almost 10 years old
is sci-fi anime dead? nothing managed to surpass the first season of psycho pass in the past decade

Attached: 3020549.jpg (1200x1600, 378.78K)

the later seasons really killed public's interest for this series, a shame

>nothing managed to surpass the first season of psycho pass in the past decade
Or the second. And third.

>Hey I'd like to ramble on society in this anime. How do I hold my audience's interest by presenting my ideas in a visually interesting manner?
>Ideas? Interesting visuals? Dude just quote a book, author, poet or philosopher then make sure you mention the name in the smuggest most self satisfied way as if the character is you come to life going "heh, yeah I work out at the library. I read books, you know.". Just put the main antagonist's theme over it and we're good to go.
Holy fuck this style of presentation drives me up the fucking wall especially since the conversations themselves are vapid as fuck but attempt to broach interesting subjects.

kek this, it's one of the shows that are legitimately pretentious and so up its own ass that it's hard to take shit seriously in this

Depends on your definition of sci-fi. Psycho Pass isn't that good.

Season 2 goes into "so bad it's good" territory.

Yes, sci-fi is dead. Nothing surpassed it because barely any legit sci-fi is being made these days. Psycho-Pass, LOGH and Yamato remakes are the only things that are even trying, for better or worse. Sadly that's how it is.

Gundam G-reco exists though

>nothing managed to surpass the first season of psycho pass in the past decade
then sci-fi must have been dead for a long time because Psycho-Pass is a 7/10 at best

Attached: Texh.jpg (940x492, 43.94K)

This. People say Ergo Proxy is pretentious show that constantly drops philosophers and I can't help but feel like they are mistaking it for Psycho-Pass

never forget the Gore Pharmacy

I couldn't believe they did my favourite up and coming supporting character so dirty. What a waste of a cool inspector.

Attached: Psycho Pass 2 - 03 - The Devil's Proof [DarkDream].mkv_snapshot_19.34_[2021.10.18_02.07.51].jpg (1920x1080, 179.58K)

>othing managed to surpass the first season of psycho pass
Third season of psycho pass

Filtered. Most of the books referenced in Psycho Pass are very famous and not just being brought up for no reason. You'd know if you read them

She deserved it for turning her subordinate into pizza

Attached: 1416316169382.jpg (623x714, 125.01K)

Vivy was just last year with classic sci-fi tropes

Venus people arc has some of my favorite sci fi concepts and I can only hope it's feasible by 2600

Phillip K. Dick called, he wants his Minority Report back.

>and not just being brought up for no reason
Why Electric Sheep was brought up?

No shit dingus, that's why the conversations are so vapid.
>Makishma's theme
>Character 2: Opening statement introducing subject.
>Character 1: Ah yes it's like William Gibson's Neuromancer.
>panning shot of some background element
>Character 2: Oh you've read Gibson's work? I'm more into Asimov.
>panning shot of some other background element
>Character 1: Ah, but as renowned japanese author Isamo Haido once said, "chicken nugget scoon".
>one frame of Choe sucking off Makishma
>Character 2: Indeed. I dream of Electric Sheep and Plato.
>end scene
It's one thing to bring up a reference in order to strengthen a following argument or help the audience visualize it. It's another just to bring it up to go "heh audience, I know of this thing. Do you?" and then move on.

The hacker guy was asking for recs

Usually the references fit contextually -- quotes pair with an action/idea that then elaborate on them. That scene where Makishima reads Titus Andronicus while the robodog eats up the murderess for example; or when Makishima quotes Descartes and tosses Akane the shotgun before throat-slicing her friend; or when Makishima thinks of Balnibarbi while smashing Sibyl's brain; Saraba, Eiga Yo and Plato for VR... It's rarely just "reference for reference's sake".

More annoying is the presence of references that serve no ostensible story/character purpose and are there for something like "ambiance" -- like having unread home libraries. Ergo Proxy for example will name non-characters "Kristeva and Deleuze and Guatarri" only to provoke recognition in the watcher: "Oh, I know who those people are! Perhaps this connects to the story's themes in some way?" Psycho Pass at least attempts engagement with what it references, however cornily.

Isn’t Psycho-Pass more cyberpunk than sci-fi? Or are they basically the same genre?