Classic anime in south america

how come these guys got to watch Saint Seiya, Kamen Rider and Ranma 1/2 as a kid while americans didn't?

Attached: Kamen_rider_eurodata.png (258x387, 166.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent
youtu.be/IojfbJQVrvU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>when you are less CULTURED in classic anime than a spic
how can americans recover?

We didn't watch Kamen Rider. We watched sentai. I think there are two main reasons.

- We don't have a puritan culture

- We don't mind if the heroes aren't from our country. Meanwhile a non-American saving the world is anti-American in the land of the free

Attached: Liveman.jpg (630x550, 149.01K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

how was the localisation? did they do stupid things like turning "Macross" to "Robotech"?

Attached: images (16).jpg (306x165, 8.04K)

even euros got to watch anime in the 80s(picrel is french)
why didn't americans?

Attached: mazinger-z---ediciones-juniors-sa-1979----5---stop-the-ashler-s-army-p-image-339454-grande.jpg (800x1024, 158.32K)

I watched Kamen Raider, Jiraya, Jiban, Jaspion, cybercops, Patrini and another one planet themed I forgot the name. I might have watched more but don’t remember or confuse it with something else. I’m sure I have seen Changerman merch

Maybe because Americans had enough homegrown cartoons at the time?

Americans watched Speed Racer, Astro Boy, Voltron, Robotech, Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers.

No, Macross stayed Macross. From Mexico down they weren't using the American versions, they were importing, translating, and dubbing straight from the Japanese source.

because americans had their own fucking cartoons and weren't third world shitholes who had to import everything?
youtu.be/IojfbJQVrvU

Attached: -9440647119786.jpg (640x320, 35.71K)

And for tokusatsu: Power Rangers, Masked Rider, VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, and Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad.

Voltron is actually GoLion, planets is actually Gatchaman, and Star Blazers is actually Space Battleship Yamato. They watched heavily edited shit.

Sucks to be American. We got duped even when we got toonami in the 90's since what was imported was shows for teenagers.

Localization is an American thing only. Again, they're the only ones triggered by other countries existing. At worst the latino dub add a local reference when the joke is too Japanese but that's it

me too, except the last 2

They were animated in third world shitholes and written by German and polish jews.

it's not like we didn't watch TMNT too tho

You just sort of completely missed the whole point there, didn't you?

Genuinely a better martial arts show than Ranma.

Attached: teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-season-7-japan.jpg (411x313, 37.68K)

>Voltron, Robotech, Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers
never heard of them

Attached: desuex.jpg (240x240, 39.85K)

Ronin Warriors is way better than Saint Seiya.

Attached: D20E4FED-DDB4-49AA-9EC9-A97A94E6C23E.jpg (220x318, 40.18K)

>because americans had their own fucking cartoon
They sucked ass in comparison to anime tho. & that's saying a lot.

Things I watched while growing up in Aztec land before returning to the US:
Doraemon
Speed Racer
Mazinger
Macross (the real one, not robotech trash)
Cardcaptor Sakura
Digimon (with original soundtrack)
Gundam
Gundam Wing
Pokemon
Zoids
Saint Seiya
Ranma 1/2
DB (the original to GT and original soundtrack)

There was so much good shit being brought over. I doubt it's the same anymore.

I'm just pointing out we had TMNT even if it was imported. actually doesn't it just mean we had everything?idk

I heard that Tokusatsu was very popular in Hawaii.
Japanese actors were not replaced by gaijin, and the show was broadcast as it was.
The influence of various cultural and historical backgrounds that differ from puritanism may indeed be significant.
Also, speaking of South America and Hawaii, it may have something to do with the social acceptance of the Japanese immigrant community.

Oh and Captain Tsubasa, everyone fucking loved Captain Tsubasa.

I think the main answer is that America made enough domestic content that TV execs or whoever typically felt that channels etc. didn't need to import non-English foreign content + that up until dubbing anime became more mainstream, dubbing foreign content was usually regarded as cheap/low quality (because those early dubs of live-action stuff were often done poorly).

Yeah there's also the issue of something like Ranma for example having content that wouldn't be seen as appropriate for kids, but even tamer kids' series typically didn't get English dubs compared to other countries, so I think execs initially believing there was no market for dubbing foreign content in general was the main reason.

Dubbing anime is still cheap/low quality labor.

Nips often call Yu Yu Hakusho the Saint Seiya of the 90s. Ronin Warriors is just a footnote in Saint Seiya history. If you want to shit over Saint Seiya, at least use a relevant title.

Attached: Yusuke travel.jpg (959x720, 137.07K)

The fact that boomers are still mad for WW2 and the Japanese miracle might be a huge factor. Wasn't the yellow peril very high in the 80s? Burgers insisted Japanese products had microphones, destroyed Japanese cars as revenge and even killed a Chinese-American worker for being a jap spy

Attached: Japan Newspng.png (635x1085, 143.84K)

Yeah, it is, but I'm referring to stuff like really early dubs of live-action stuff where there was zero effort in lip-synching, etc. I left a couple words out but meant that even the audiences a couple decades ago generally thought dubbed foreign shows (again, live-action) were trash.

Obviously dubbing animated stuff is different and yeah maybe executives should've realized that back then, but it just didn't happen and I think subtitled stuff also wasn't mainstream outside of like foreign films that also probably wouldn't regularly air on TV.

Oh that shit, yeah I remember that.

I mean a lot of the really popular 80s and 90s anime would be hard as fuck to localize for Americans at the time without totally bastardizing it, which is why they werent typically broadcast and instead went straight to video. Why the hell would a TV exec go through all the effort to get something like Urusei Yatsura to
>remotely make sense to an American audience not familiar with japanese culture
>somewhat censor it so the puritans don't riot
>make it actually work in English
when they could just air something homegrown like Inspector Gadget and not have to deal with any of that? Sure it's more expensive to make your own content, but not having to pay licensing fees goes a long way to making it worth their while.
>Sidenote: there were a decent amount of anime that could have been brought over fairly easily but weren't for whatever reason (many of Adachi's works fall into this category). It's probably just that Americans were making enough animation themselves that stations didnt feel the need to supplement that, unlike in other countries who probably enjoyed that anime was cheaper to licence than American cartoons.