How long does a manga have to get before you write it off as a job security story?

How long does a manga have to get before you write it off as a job security story?

I don't tolerate anything longer than 20 volumes. If it takes that long to tell a story it shows a clear lack of direction.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-08-13 15-22-02.png (380x328, 32.6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manga_series_by_volume_count
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

20-25 is my pick. I rarely read anything beyond ten vols these days. Though, I guess a couple of series might get into that territory because of increased popularity...

350+ chapters

I only read manga with at least 500 chapters.

Lmao at piss chuggers, oda will never have the legacy Togashi has

Please stop reading shonen.

More like company security story. If Takei with his axed Shaman King could buy a Ferrari, any Mangaka could get set with a popular story with less than 30 volumes, if they go beyond that, then it's just pure company meddling. How long was Yu Yu Hakusho? Saint Seiya? Ichigo 100%? After 30 volumes is just way too overkill. 20-25 should be the standard.

It's about the journey sometimes. Long-running stories can be kino as long as the don't fully lose their way.

I wish more mangaka had the imagination (although opportunity is probably the bottleneck) to make 100+ volumes story of a single adventure.

I agree with him, and same thing applies to the spinoffs that aren't even made by the same author, who needed boruto? Who needed fairy tail 100yr quest? For sure not the reader.
but at the end think about it, if you are a mangaka and are able to get big one time, that his the chance of your life, so you have to milk it as much as possible since your second work will not be as big most likely and try to become a millionare out of it, if not going to work in a fabbric js not fun

If a story passes the 10 year mark, but still feel like it's far from over, then it's a pretty good sign that it's going to shit itself eventually if it hasn't already.

It depends on the series really. Things like Baki and Jojo tend to like to shake up or try new things so it is tolerable to both binge and follow. Some get better over time like Usogui. While some like Blue Exorcist, Ace of Diamond ect just kinda circle around. Ippo kinda feels that way at the moment, even as a Walli fan. I imagine episodic/small arc manga like Conan or Komi last a lot better.
Doesn't Saint Seiya have like 3-4 different manga running across all of Champion's magazines/digital? I get Champion Red every month and I'm always going through a solid 30 to 40 odd pages of Seiya stuff.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manga_series_by_volume_count

Most of the longer mangas dont really focuse on the story and live with the volume by volume entertainment value where a reader can just pick up a copy and start enjoying themselves.

I prefer stories on the shorter side because the longer it goes the higher the chances of it shitting the bed, but I don't mind longer stories if the author wants to tell a proper story. Nothing is worse than either shounenshit that go on forever or manga that gets the axe before it can go where the author intended it to go.

It really depends on the story, different genres can have wildly different scales. It's when they have entire arcs that don't progress the main story in any meaningful way that it's all over. Generally, though, I'd say 10 for things like romance and grounded drama and maybe 40 for a grand action-adventure.

Ho many volumes did SYD have over its 14 year run?

Yeah, I don't have any real problems with length as long as it doesn't feel like the story is spinning its wheels.

I prefer less than or around 20 as well. Ideally it'd end around 10. I prefer shorter stories so they end well and don't feel dragged out. Also it costs money to keep up with a story if its 30 or 40+ volumes long. Will the quality drop? Is it worth keeping on if I'm not liking it the last couple chapters? What if they keep making more volumes, do I keep buying them? Etc. all run through my head as risks. Keep it to 20ish and there's very little risk with me jumping on board.

It's hard to say honestly. Some stories just need to be longer than others. Some stories are content to be episodic so can run as long as they can keep making money. If I had to pick a personal comfort zone I'd probably say somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-somewhere in the 20s.

100 chapters is a good place for a lot of series to end though many have perfectly good send offs after 60-70 chapters. Past 300 you should consider if the series has any connection to what interested you in the first place.

That's why I'm slowly migrating to LNs. They are also for the most part translation proof and more self contained.
Manga just feels impossible to find the right length, short stories are usually more because rushed ending than the author's intention and long stories just feel endless if you didn't catch up at the 100-150 chapter mark.