Remember the times when fansubs used to look like, say, this, with sometimes colorful...

Remember the times when fansubs used to look like, say, this, with sometimes colorful, creative subtitles as well as karaoke and translation notes? There were a lot of groups! Nowadays, I can only find 2: HorribleSubs and SubsPlease, and they're not as creative as everyone else. What happened to those days?

Attached: ''It's an American... we have an American among us...''.png (1512x1135, 1.4M)

what happened is fansubs don't fucking exist anymore. they've been gone for years.

Also, whatever happened to the times when anime was all 2D without the very stupid CGI? Everytime I hear about today's anime like Uzaki-chan and Dorohedoro that has CGI, I get so pissed off/jealous that I would rather watch season 2 and beyond of Sailor Moon Crystal/Ponyo and Studio Ghilbi's other modern completely 2D films/Kyouka Senki.

yes the thing I miss more are the tldr. notes for japanese culture, now they explain nothing and even worse localize it with a shitty equivalent.
>What happened?
legal streaming started to pop up around 2016(?) like cruncyroll and the like, those companies did "simulcasting" so the subs were made in advance and aired at the same time of japan, fansubbers couldn't compete with the legal option since they would deliver the translation hours or days later so they became useless, a lot of those fan translators of relevant groups were hired by the streaming services, so it created a conflict of interest too. So the main reason is that anime became more popular and the need of fan translators went away since now they are streamed worldwide at the same time.
>HorribleSubs and SubsPlease
horriblesubs is dead since years, subsplease is the successor, but they aren't groups that translate, they just rip off the official translation from cruncyroll.
There are still some groups around, but they translate only stuff that dosn't get an official translation or they clean up the shitty translations of cruncyroll and pubblish the anime much later on nyaa

>legal streaming started to pop up around 2016(?)
Earlier. Around 2012.

>cgi
is cheaper and more importantly easier to animate, still is mostly used for background elements in most anime, then yeah you have cgi anime too. CGI is not really bad if implemented well but most of the times look like shit

Some series are basically unwatchable without them adding context like Gintama. Most comedy anime tend to lacking without some clarification of certain jokes. Dattebayo subs will always have a special place in my heart, including the amount of fuckery and trolling they did. With all that being said, fansubs are mostly dead as there's enough "professional" groups that it's easier to just bootleg them and maybe make a few changes

Attached: subs.jpg (3185x1348, 1.47M)

Consider lurking more and watching more anime.

>What happened to those days?
Streaming sites appeared its not exactly a mystery

>Also, whatever happened to the times when anime was all 2D without the very stupid CGI?
Cgi has been used for 2 decades at this point, yea some underpaid animator probably can't be bothered to actually animate some car that appears for 10 seconds in the background of some romcom when he can ask for a cgi model to be dropped in. And i honestly don't blame them even if i dont like it

It's still like that for Indonesian fansubs

Have you been in a coma since 2010 or something?

>Among us
sus

>tfw former timing/karaoke guy
I miss those days, too.

youtube's been there since 2005, crunchyroll since 2006. Azumanga isn't that much older.

I hate wakanim,crunchylol ,cuckflix and other shit
I will not pay for my anime and I will be happy

Attached: Wikipe-tananime.png (720x480, 373.42K)

>karaoke
God, remember the autism fights about whether there should be karaoke or not?

>legal streaming started to pop up around 2016
What the hell. It popped up around 2008 and CR's "Shinji" collective pseudonym would shill it here.

we still have based Zafkiel

Attached: [Zafkiel] Prima Doll - 05 [1080p][5922F1D9],00_01_47, 0001.jpg (1920x1080, 392.27K)

Honestly I'd just be happy with better font in general. I don't know what the fuck is going on with most of these crunchy rips but this shit can get straight up unreadable at times.

Enjoy nobody pandering to you

>Enjoy nobody pandering to you
So? Why would I care? I would have my anime
>Ho no the normies won't like me, how am I going to do it :(

I say it's a grave omission that we don't get lyrics of op/ed by the maker of this subsplease subs, that's a big oversight and someone should tell it to the group