Is mystery a boring genre?

Is mystery a boring genre?

Attached: 1614583362012.jpg (1440x1080, 871.19K)

that show has a girl who swallowed literally the cunny pill, imagine giving your wife the cunny pill

i am still loving conan many many years in

Attached: thecrew.jpg (1280x720, 188.35K)

Mystery is the best genre when the clues are laid out such that a careful reader can actually figure out the whole mystery.
>try to browse through random Mystery/detective tagged manga after going through all the well known ones like Conan and Kindaichi
>majority are garbage that often try to invoke superpowers being used to solve cases instead of logic
Sometimes I stumble across parodies of the formula and get a kick out of it everytime. Loved Jiken Jaken for that.

Attached: 4e61d396-656e-495a-b5c0-9a2b8fba387a.png (2251x1600, 428.29K)

s26 is looking like it might be as good as a s17 or s18

Mystery is the best genre. For me, anime need to have some sort of mystery to keep me entertained.

Attached: curtains_for_her.webm (1280x720, 1.55M)

that fucking episode, holy shit.
>conan "one more thing"s his way into her car, then her house
>she keeps seducing him harder

Attached: fit_in_her_suitcase.webm (1280x720, 2.09M)

>He's never seen Columbo
If done well, its great user

Attached: 1648689675232.gif (297x297, 2.29M)

Knox’s Commandments:
>The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.
>All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
>Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
>No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
>No Chinaman must figure in the story.
>No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
>The detective must not himself commit the crime.
>The detective must not light on any clues which are not instantly produced for the inspection of the reader.
>The stupid friend of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal any thoughts which pass through his mind; his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
>Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

>>No Chinaman must figure in the story.
Kek what

it was one of those background character tropes of its day, where chinamen were referred to as "you boy" and so on. basically a blank servant character, would be wasteful to feature them in a mystery.

Maybe

Columbo isn't really like other mysteries though. In Columbo the culprit is shown the audience usually within the first few minutes of the episode. It then becomes a matter of HOW the killer is caught not who the killer is.

There's more than a couple stories from the pulp days of the culprit being a previously unmentioned chinaman, whose motivation is that he's a treacherous chinaman.

its only boring if the writer is bad
maybe anime should adapt novels rather than attempting to write their own, since the latter generally ends up bad

Attached: the-inugami-family-1976-poster.jpg (750x1065, 592.87K)

conan's super unique in its black shadow man killer stuff too. we (sometimes) see a how but not a who. very interesting place to start from.

There are no boring genres, only boring products.

That shit's not unique. That's only more visually striking than having the victim react and go "OH NO! NOT YOU!"

we follow the shadow man throughout the hunt, too. its a great device.

it's just a list of tropes of the day that knox hated

It's visually pleasing but it doesn't really change the way the story is actually told.

sturgeon's law. 90% of mystery anime is shit but 10% is okay

i love mystery but its rarely well done and the biggest problem is always making a good solution.
i think the only mystery anime i like is baccano but im probably forgetting something.

lots of those lists kicking around started the "fair play" sort of genre rules we got now and that is the best.

doesnt change much, no. it's not like a cartoon character has tells for their fake personality stuff like a real actor would.

the tighter you pull the genre rules together the easier it is to hit medium-okay mystery stuff. its like paint by numbers at that point, impossible to fuck it up. thats why you get like 20 seasons of murder she wrote and stuff.