Why are we seeing g5 in OP: RED before its in the show?

Total fuckin screw up on toei's part. Luffy gets that on the roof while fighting kaido after zoro gets his ass beat, obviously RED is going to be non-canon like every other movie; but is it supposed to be taking place after the big fight?

Attached: DTlLNLXVQAEQmzb.jpg (640x480, 56.9K)

It doesn't take place anywhere, it's not canon.

Well yes, but the activation of gear 5 in the film could lead one to believe that the movie is post-wano. Right?

Attached: 20220721_044145.jpg (3024x2816, 1.24M)

Maybe. But the movies happen in the own vacuum. Take it as a "what if" story.
The more pragmatic explanation is obviously that toei wants to hype the new hype form.

it's semi-canonical. shanks being a celestial dragon found in god valley is canon, uta fucking stuff up is non-canon.

Anime onlys only exist in the zooming west, everyone in Japan reads the manga so it's not spoilers for them

I see.
I can kind of understand the sentiment behind it, if I have been animating a show for the last 20 years of my life I'd want to push out as much "new form" content as possible as soon as I got wind of it too.

Attached: 20220806_050923.jpg (1712x2017, 500.07K)

I'm caught up, 1056 and waiting for more. I just figured we'd see g5 in like ep.1070 and /then/ in a movie

Attached: 73d7fcf37ca0479b39e68bc20bf7163a.png (500x373, 203.88K)

Just treat One Piece movies as their own canon.

They teased Gear Second in a movie before Water 7 too. It's not canon, the movies are literally filler. The reason they are teasing shit from the manga is because nobody will go and see them otherwise.

>it's semi-canonical
Until I see it in the manga, nothing you just said is canon.

Why? It's fun to imagine where these fit in the timeline.

They fit in their own timeline. In that timeline, Luffy defeated Shiki with Gear 3, Z only using haki and Tesoro and Bullet with Gear 4. Movie Luffy is stronger than original Luffy and his story is probably more exciting than what we got in the manga/anime. It's more fun to imagine the adventures of a pre ts Luffy beating a Legend, proceeding to beat a former Admiral, the most important man in the underworld and a former Roger pirate in quick succession.

Why would they spoil that? There's a chunk of japan's op fanbase that are animeonlys

Hell it's hardly even the first time something like this happened.
Naruto had a pseudo Nine Tails Mode in Road to Ninja with obvious allusions to the manga panels before the form officially debuted in the anime. The weird Gold and Red form Goku had in the Slug movie was supposed to be Super Saiyan but the design had yet to be finalized and was going off an earlier concept. And if we want to be technical Pokemon had debuted a multitude of Mon and moves (Shadow Ball, Lugia, Magearna) before they debuted in the games/source material.
One Piece also has a prior example of this happening, the Seventh Movie debuted Gear Second several months ahead of the main Anime due to it's theatrical release earlier that year and even it's DVD release beat out the anime episode revealing Gear Second by about a week.
Cashing in on the hype ASAP is kinda Toeis thing, now.

That turtle island movie foreshadowed Gear 2, although I don't remember if Gear 2 was already introduced in the manga.

Anyway I got a ticket to see the movie tomorrow so hopefully it'll be cool.

we literally saw uta last chapter it's 100% canon

Uta herself is canon, the movie is not.

Yes, it's annoying, but that's how it is. I haven't seen the movie but at best all it can hope for is to be "not contradicted by canon", so you could MAYBE slot it between two panels of the SH sailing post-Wano and it could've happened there.

Honestly I wouldn't say seeing a character is enough given how awkward it can be to insert certain movies into the timeline, like I don't think there's enough time afforded between Thriller Bark and Sabaody Archipelago to fit in Strong World (manga-wise anyway) but I may be misremembering.
Shiki is obviously canon, but whether or not the events of Strong World are may not be the case.
Times like these I consider the anime and manga to be two different timelines since anything extra you can just work in as typical anime filler, but that's getting into headcanon territory.
Even Dragon Balls films are getting ambiguously canonical, to the point where you basically have staff saying "yeah just don't think about it it's for people who don't read [Laughs]"

Because Yamato is not in the movie so she will never join

so, anybody got a link for the movie? Doesn´t seem to be up anywhere atm