Why didn't Digimon do as well as Pokemon in the west?

Why didn't Digimon do as well as Pokemon in the west?

The designs are so much cooler

Attached: dukemon.jpg (720x893, 211.16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iNDLmUPIrq0?t=65
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Name a single franchise that did as well as Pokemon literally anywhere in the world

Stuff like Bakugan and the sort got exposed through animes first and foremost
So the real question is why is the Pokemon anime more popular than the Digimon anime (both for OG seasons).
As for why....well, I'm not in the mood for comparing and dissecting the ashnime and the tainime. Just watch it

because Pokemon got there first

I'm sure the sci fi elements and the fact that digimon aren't nearly as "loveable" affected it's appeal to young kids, digimon also focused on human drama whereas pokemon was just fun fun fun

Pokemon had a million-dollar collecting game before even making the first episode, digimon didn't

Lack of sexy children.

Digimon Adventure's English dub had a bunch of fairly weak jokes added in, at times during dramatic moments. Also, it replaced a legendary OST (Butter-Fly still being a karaoke standard on more than one anison top 10 list) with a decent but ultimately forgettable one. Worse, it didn't get complete fansubs for like a decade, and competent official subs for many more years. Judging by what I've seen of the online fandom it was handled way better in Latin America.

Pokemon's dub wasn't great either, but as a kids' anime with less drama that could be ruined it avoided that particular issue.

Pokemon as a franchise is as simple as it gets and simple things sell a lot.

they had better (handheld) games. Digi adventures on the ps1 was tight tho

The Pokemon games were simply better.

Digimon seasons end in a definitive way that make it easy for fans to drop the show after a season's over. Pokemon kept blueballing the audience by robbing Ash of winning the league, stringing along audiences into keeping up with the show on the basis that maybe he might become a Pokemon Master one day.

1. The anime depicts you being locked to one digimon partner
2. The games depicts your monsters as disposable and with convoluted evolution mechanics that the ignorant will end up with poop monsters. Not appealing to casuals and kids who don't want to do the equivalent of EV training

People wanna imagine the freedom to go out in the woods and collect a bunch of cute and cool buddies in neat little balls

eh..........
Majority of the digimon games got barred from entry due to the fact that the wonderswan didn't make it the US. Also kids were dumbfucks and thought that it was a ripp-off, but I had a digimon during the tamagatchi fad.

>World 1
It was pretty alright honestly better than the pokemon games
>World 2
pretty shit dungeon crawler
Didn't even play world 3 because of how shit world 2 was.

nah they were pretty shit take off the nostolgia goggles.
>r/b
pretty basic, I honestly wanted adventures like the manga, but didn't get that
>snap
shit, I came here for an adventure, not to take pictures on 8 short courses, this could have been a mini game for a larger game, but for a 49.99 title it was dogshit.
>Stadium
you had to cheat in order to play this game, if you didn't duplicate all the TMS and rare candies you were fucked.
>G/S
Innovative and much better than R/B, a great GBA title but the manga left me wanting much more.

Arc the lad never made it to states till 2002, and it came out the same year as R/G in japan and it had a vastly superior monster battling system and the crazy scenarios that the pokemon manga had.
youtu.be/iNDLmUPIrq0?t=65
both party members, and captured monsters can fight in the arena outside of the main game. Playing this game honestly made me quit pokemon altogether.

It actually outsold pokemon in japan but it got fucked because it got embargoed till 02'

eh....It was the 90s dude it's not like pussy shit we have now.
>T-REX
>Pizza cats
>Gon
>Mutant league
>He-man
>TMNT
>Biker mice
>earthworm jim
>Street Sharks
>Gargoyles
>Batman
etc.
Shit was hardcore before getting pussified in the late 90's when slice of life took over. Everything was mutants, monsters and freaks; digimon designs were just like these shows

Attached: 1593452362960.jpg (960x1363, 193.3K)

I would honestly say they were more loveable, I hated that pokemon couldn't talk and could only say their names, none of the humans had any personality aside from the rockets either.

Digimon were warriors not just pets, also I never had any pets so.........

Honestly I wish both were like xros was from the start, more so emphsis on monster heroes with one or two humans taging along for the ride.

Or just fuck it, make it like kyato ninden, t-rex or tmnt, no humans, that self insert shit is recent.

Attached: EvMTg22UYAQzc2E.jpg (600x838, 229.55K)

Oh yeah great designs here

Attached: 1581462653004.jpg (790x790, 389.72K)

Shit international distribution. While the show was popular in the west, all it really sold were lunch boxes and binders. The actual merchandise that Bandai was trying to sell, such as the V-pets and their own line of action figures, often weren't brought over, or if they were, were extremely poorly advertised. Saban had too much control over the brand in the west. The Hyper Coliseum card game, which was fairly successful in Japan, did extremely poorly in the west due to changed rules and Upper Deck refusing to support it properly.

At the end of the day, the ONLY thing that truly succeeded internationally was the show. Everything else was sabotaged by severe mismanagement.

Moichendising

zoomie zoom. the was played for a joke, shit was edgy as fuck in the 80's-early 90's but you are too young to remember.

This is it. The core fantasy of the pokemon games and anime are both more appealing and more consistent with each other, fuelling a spiral of obsession.

90% of digimon are that same over designed garbage you act like this design stands out in anyway.
>zoomie zoom.
I guarantee I'm older than you probably why I didn't watch which ever series that shit comes from

I've always found the base premise of digimon, as a concept, hard to really understand. The inclusion of the "digital" element is puzzling, outside of knowing the need to rep its origins as a tamagochi-clone. The whole concept could easily still work as "mystical otherworldly creatures crossing over into the human world" without the digital theming. The digital aspect only served to confuse me: are computers simply portals that connect to a reality that just so happens to "resonate" or "link up" with digital frequencies? Does the internet somehow create a pocket reality which is the digital world? Are digimon designed by humans? Or are they mutations by a mystical force, based on human activity on the internet, somehow transforming human ideas into physical representations? The line between the technological and the mystical is unclear, and it always somewhat alienated me to the concept.
In comparison, Pokemon was very straightforward to comprehend, simply creatures occuring in nature in basically the same way as real life, with their forms determined by natural selection and adaptation to the environment, sometimes manmade. Basically animals/plants with a bit of sentience, and the occasional god-creature.
Something a bit more similar to Digimon's concept, Megaman EXE is quite easy to understand as well. Net navi are avatars of human users, most things, AI npcs, or creatures in the internet world are desinged by humans initially, with the occasional virus or glitch in the system creating anomalies. The concepts clearly relate to the actual use of computers, and needs very little stretching to accommodate for the more mystical elements.
Back to Digimon, I guess for the Japanese, it's easier to accept this kind of worldview due to the cultural context of shinto views. All things, objects, concepts have "spirits", it would seems only natural to apply this to "data" as well? But for the longest time I didn't really understand this line of logic.

>over designed
pokemon are underdesigned with no anatomy except machamp,

>I guarantee I'm older than you probably why I didn't watch which ever series that shit comes from
I guarantee they aren't