Is gatekeeping a good idea?

Or is it just a pointless endeavor? I know no one likes it when normies join their niche fandom, but some people can get a little cared away with gatekeeping at times. Your thoughts?

Attached: Anime normies.jpg (690x552, 207.52K)

>Your thoughts?
I think you need to leave.

You already failed because you are one of those "normies"

Fuck off.

Gatekeeping=console war

You seem to be under the impression that if people gatekeep it actually accomplishes something. Bitching about normies enjoying a show wrong doesn't actually keep them away, you're just wasting your own time and getting mad about people who don't care that you're mad.

Nothing wrong with it but there's no way to effectively do it, specially online

You know nothing about my anime watching habits

I know you're a cunt.

Gatekeeping (within reason) is extremely necessary to preserve your hobby against the influence of the unenlightened mob. I am fairly new to anime and I certainly don't seek to impose my unrefined opinions on the medium that I chose to adopt specifically to escape from the pitfalls of my previous entertainment. If I say something retarded, I WANT a person with more experience in the matter to explain why I'm being retarded. If you don't gatekeep, then newfags are going to eventually ruin your hobby.
What I am against is exclusion. I am genuinely trying to get more into anime, if someone were to say that i'm not allowed to participate because I haven't been into it since I was a child or whatever, then yeah that's gay.

Gatekeeping is the immune system of a hobby. Without it a hobby is quickly overrun with cancer leaving a deformed corpse of the hobby.

The fact that you're here is proof that gatekeeping doesn't work

Lurk 2 years before posting.

>You seem to be under the impression that if people gatekeep it actually accomplishes something
When done correctly it does have a positive effect. "Bitching about normies enjoying a show wrong " is not productive, but refusing to allow normies to be blatantly wrong without raising an objection is a good thing.

I've visited this board on and off since 2018 or 2019

>refusing to allow normies to be blatantly wrong
Wrong about what? Liking mainstream shows?

>"Bitching about normies enjoying a show wrong " is not productive
I think a lot of people confuse the idea of gatekeeping a community formed around some thing, which is necessary and good, with gatekeeping that thing itself which is usually futile.

Like with any hobby there's always a need for fresh blood and I think it's stupid to try and actively push people off just because they haven't matured as viewers yet. The "normies" that you seem so scared of are only ever going to superficially engage with the lowest common denominator shows in the medium, ie shounenshit. They'll tire themselves out once they're done with whatever got them into it in the first place and move on to things more suitable to their tastes, which is fine and normal.
If someone graduates beyond that and expresses a further interest in literally anything else anime-related I'm more than happy to engage with them on it so long as there's genuine personal interest and not just a desire to keep up with what's hip 'n trendy.

Thank you everyone in herfor saying normie instead of normalf*g, we wouldn't want to scare off anyone from our welcoming community.

>Liking mainstream shows?
No, people are allowed to "like" whatever they want, that's subjective. If someone were to say [garbage] is objectively of good quality then you could explain why that is wrong.
I would generally agree with that.

i kind of wish normalfags would join my niche fandom.
i dont care if theyre annoying and weird i just want people to like what i like because i have no friends

Attached: c228ed0b0d6cdc96ce423f3568c537c59e183fcd.jpg (436x600, 23.91K)

uhm actually, I said newfag.

>normie
fuck off

>normies

>normies
Kill yourself disgusting sub human

>normies
kill yourself, tourist garbage

it's just shorter to type and rolls off the tongue, y'know? it's catchy. no need to thank me, friend =)

Sorry I'm retarded, but I'm not really sure what gatekeeping really means like could someone give me an example?