Why are yuri undertones so rare outside of works with all-female casts?

Why are yuri undertones so rare outside of works with all-female casts?

Attached: 1638389334825.png (1280x720, 1.09M)

Because then it's yaoi.

Because yuri undertones don’t sell. Other than purityfags, most otaku can barely tolerate them as it is.

It depends, there are works with yuri side couples, sometimes even explicit yuri side couples, but people usually have wrong expectations in regards to some works, like for example harem or isekai with male protagonists, yuri is inherently incompatible with those shows or even the concept of side couples usually is ignored on those.

Yeah, see Love Live for example, it just outsold the whole market last season, and that series only is the biggest franchise with yuri shipping, makes you wonder why the undertones only have implicit couples or stuff like explicit love confessions.

See the best selling anime from this season, Engage Kiss, meanwhile Lycoris Recoil from the same studio is a big failure

LL and LR are selling because of their other qualities. Not because of the relationship between the main characters.

The level of cope is unreal

This might surprise you, but I'm actually a yurifag who likes yuri undertones. I just have a more cynical outlook on how popular the genre is with non-yuri otaku.

Attached: 1649209888337.png (697x862, 663.86K)

>OP claims bullshit
>people will just roll with it
Every time. Most popular yuri works have male side characters. Many popular non-yuri works will still throw in yuri teasing for some asinine reason.

I wonder if the anime everyone and their mom is currently hyping up is going to get to the lesbian devil hunter and her harem.

Males don't exist in LL

Yes user, I would expect that undertones would not be a selling point, mostly because they are called undertones to begin with, but they are part of the whole. Like user above said, you have to use them in a smart way, it's pointless to add yuri undertones or explicit yuri to stuff that is focused on male protagonists, the audience for those shows don't want them and the audience who likes those undertones usually isn't into those types of series either, it's not that surprising that franchises like more traditional romcoms with male MCs are more likely to have yuri undertones with the secondary characters like for example Aharem San does.

>implying
No one cared about Triangle Hearts (harem) until they turned it into Nanoha

All I'm trying to say is that something like LR would probably being doing just as well if it had a minor male love interest for the characters who didn't take up too much screen time.

>it's pointless to add yuri undertones or explicit yuri to stuff that is focused on male protagonists
You'll sometimes get a lesbian villain in a series with a male protagonist who usually fucks her harem on on-screen. It's half-and-half whether she dies or falls for the MC though.

Maybe, but this isn't the point of this discussion though, if yuri undertones or in your example, side romances aren't a selling point, they are just flavor and the studio trying to reach more specific demographics that may or not buy merchandise because of this.

I mean, those aren't undertones if she is having sex with them, though those are just characters still existing for the sake of the male protagonist, either with the villain role or the fetish role.

Because yuri is for trannies.

>probably being doing just as well if it had a minor male love interest
lol

Attached: +_b64c5dd48af81a440075632d4515a201.png (326x183, 93.71K)

UNDERTONES ARE NOT YURI

Kill yourself, retarded tourist.

"Subtext", user.
The word is "subtext".

I'll never understand yuri haters, it's just girls with more girls. Especially not undertones. What about them upsets you guys?

>All I'm trying to say is that something like LR would probably being doing just as well if it had a minor male love interest for the characters who didn't take up too much screen time.
But why do that when you can just work with what you have?

>What about them upsets you guys?
70's mangaka knew.

Attached: 1651498062167.jpg (750x1503, 275.75K)