Why do so many writers want to copy power levels?

Nanatsu was really good at first then it quickly added power levels after the first arc and became dogshit. They add nothing of value to any story. Every person I ask about this, agrees that power levels is bad writing.

So... if everyone agrees, why the fuck do writers keep adding it?

Attached: nanatsu spear.gif (500x281, 1.99M)

Why do so many 'adults' care about shounenshit? You're just as bad as bronies.

It's a simple narrative device to show how far things have escalated.

why are you in a shounen thread talking about shounen mr "adult"

why would you need that to tell you things have escalated? You can easily tell just from watching. like with meruem in the chimera ant arc, we didn't need numbers to tell us they were strong

it's simple and fun. besides, it's not a rule in that the weaker one can't defeat the stronger one. the only ones who seethe about it are plotfags and they deserve nothing but suffering

>why would you need that to tell you things have escalated?
Shounen battle manga requires that to raise the narrative stakes. As they are usually quite high already, your options to do it are often limited.
Take, for example, DBZA: when power level system was introduced Goku had already defeated the Demon King and his even stronger offspring.

You can introduce new characters or ideas with no consequence while still creating an idea of escalation.
Meruem's birth needed an entire arc's worth of build up.
Compare that to just going "This guy's number is 7000, and this other guy's is 150,000!!!!!!!!!!!'

throwing balls around is for kids too but it's socially acceptable enough that people get paid millions to do it

>DBZA
I hate you

There's a good bit about Shounen authors writing themselves into a corner power-level wise in "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga" (and this was back in 1989).

Attached: url(1).jpg (1870x2560, 656.57K)

They were a staple of the genre before Nanatsu was even thought of, and you're retarded.

Found it!

Attached: Screenshot_20220804-232333.png (1440x1095, 567.72K)

Latinx inclusivity

>if everyone agrees
The minority on Any Forums who hates powerlevels isn't everyone. I think sometimes people don't realise that Any Forums is a western site that doesn't actually represent a lot of people. Even Any Forums has a lot of powerlevel threads. Most people actually like this shit.

Your complaint is vacuous if you take it at face value and think "powerlevels" means they explicitly use the word "powerlevel" (which only happens in the two series you mention), but a character being stronger than the others isn't essentially the same thing.

Your complaint applies to, like, two series? Isn't it easily skippable then? Many would think that narrative-wise any series where characters are stronger than others implictly has powerlevels.

?? retard take, the kids are doing it to emulate the adults

I liked Toriko using calories as a way to compare character feats, even if Capture Level were basically powerlevels.

Attached: Calories_confrontation.png (777x380, 132.03K)

I don't outright hate them, I just don't think they add anything to the story. Nakaba is huge Dragon Ball fan, so I would guess it's the same for other mangaka. Even One Piece had power levels at one point, and that's on top of the "pseudo-power level" bounties.

>Nanatsu was really good at first
it was awesome.
>why the fuck do writers keep adding it?
I can't think of any prominent shounen outside of NNT that has power levels.

Why do so many 'adults' care about moeshit? You're just as bad as bronies.

>Nanatsu
Nakaba is a massive Dragonball fag, but I think he realized that the powerlevel metric he established was not good. Until now there was no sign of power levels in the sequel.