How come anime was far more experimental back when the market was small/limited to Japan...

How come anime was far more experimental back when the market was small/limited to Japan, but now that it's mainstream and there's money flowing in all over the globe no one is attempting to stand out anymore.
shouldn't it be the other way around?

Attached: sonoshee.gif (583x328, 1.83M)

>How come anime was far more experimental back when the market was small/limited to Japan
Because it wasn't. Unless you're talking about OVAs.

Because everyone has run out of ideas. You see it in Hollywood too, nothing but remakes and sequels with nothing standing out

It's the opposite. Peak of anime OVA was during the economic boom and Japan has been on recession ever since.
>but muh netflix bucks
Just a drop in the ocean.

It wasn't. It was experimental back in the 60s and 70s because practically anything they did had to be an experiment.

>Unless you're talking about OVAs
yes, I'm talking about 80s & 90s OVAs, I would even include some anime original TV shows as well.
clearly there was an experimental aspect to the medium at the time, people were give more leeway on what to make than compared to nowadays, which is weird considering how limited the funding must've been back then in comparison

maybe experimental isn't the right word to use I guess, perhaps artsy? or just indie? I don't know the proper wording but I'm sure you get my point

See Your premise is based on a incorrect interpretation of Japanese economy and recent history. There was more money back then for anime.

It was t, it mass produced the same mid of the row shit as today, with a few tittles surviving the test of time like in any other era. Imagine if most seasonal anime today was only 1 to 4 episodes of material, that's the 80's on a nutshell: 4 regular shows, 6 short shows and a million forgettable OVAs

the Japanese economy started slowing down during the early 90s, yet there was still a lot of the same approach when it came to niche premises and risk taking in anime production, as far as I can tell it only really stopped around the late 2000s with the advent of LN adaptations.

Then it's always been incredibly rare, and almost entirely unsuccessful. But it still exists, you're just not fucking looking.

Anything by Masaaki Yuasa or shit like Sonny boy is more experimental and artsy than %90 of 80s anime.

Well, OVA model allows for freedom, no oversight for TV execs etc. And if you just make some weird thing, make a good cover art and release it into the shops enough people will probably buy it. Nobody's gonna buy enough BDs nowadays to make this profitable, releasing things on the internet makes you no money also.

And adapting a maximum of 4 episodes in total of a manga instead of a full season is also a less taxing investment.

Because you don't watch enough anime. Consider watching something other than whatever is popular on reddit.

>Because you don't watch enough anime. Consider watching something other than whatever is popular on Any Forums.
FTFY

Define experimental/artsy in the context of this thread.
We still get "experimental" or "artistic" anime.

Attached: 1648640353924.jpg (1280x720, 769.17K)

Attached: 1645812065654.jpg (1280x720, 397.69K)

Attached: 1647227068892.jpg (1280x720, 447.09K)

>there's money flowing in all over the globe
That's exactly why.

When anything gains the interests of big investors, and their budgets begin to inflate, the damage a failure has grows as well. An investor is more likely to give their money to a safer bet, so media becomes increasingly homogenous and "safe" because that's what draws in external funding. Investors don't care about the artform, they care about the returns.

This is why Hollywood churns out the same shit every year, this is why book publishers flood the market once a trend is noticed.

Not funny. Didn't laugh.