Why is background art so often overlooked

Why is background art so often overlooked

I've never seen anyone praise good background art, nor complain about bad or boring art

Attached: 2326.png (1280x720, 840.95K)

It's background art. If it does it's job well then you'll never notice it it's there.

Guess you're new here or have rarely ventured outside of your shounenshit generals.

how new are you?

People here bitch about bad backgrounds constantly what are you on about

Dorohedoro threads highest praise was for the background art, and while there was cg, it also had great va work, conveyed the characters well, improved on a handful of scenes and had great music.

But those goddamn backgrounds were something else

That's one way to start a background art thread.

Attached: nnb.jpg (1920x1080, 1.49M)

You're a retard.

That looks way too much like VN art for me to really appreciate.

>Why is background art so often overlooked
Casuals and ingrates can't appreciate art.

>I've never seen anyone praise good background art, nor complain about bad or boring art
People do but it's not talked about nearly enough.

Here is some beautiful A+++ tier background art.

Attached: violet evergarden B-art-275.png (3072x1285, 3.45M)

VNs have some of the highest quality art.

Because photoshop is now so ubiquitous even lavish vanity projects with insane art departments like veg end up using it for 80% of their background art in lieu of paintings.

I'm strictly complaining about photoshop garbage infiltrating big budget productions, I don't have a problem with it replacing things like gradients or pastels.

Whatever its merits may be, I can't not see it as a game backdrop.

That's fair. As much as I like NNB the colors can be a bit oversaturated.

Attached: TekkonKinkreet.jpg (1920x816, 384.63K)

My background art threads get deleted and redirected to /wsr/

I'm happy to praise good background art but it's generally uncommon. Usually just kinda bland like your pic. I'm also biased towards pre-digital art, the colours just feel warmer and less sterile even when there's not detail or the scene is otherwise boring. You still get nice stuff now and then though.

>bland
Who cares? If it's well drawn and detailed then it's good.

It's more complicated than that, detailed art can be boring and simple art can be interesting, it's up to the artists to come up with something good and there's no rules to it

lurk more

Most stories are in background. Fucking unemployed background painters try harder lmao

It can be overlooked, compared to animation; but those that appreciate it, appreciate it.

Attached: VEG-City.jpg (1920x955, 495.7K)

Stories happen in the foreground shithead

Made in Abyss got a ton of praise for its backgrounds.

Attached: flowerfield.png (1920x1080, 1.78M)

I think it's interesting how there's so many fantastic Japanese backgrounds painters who draw mesmerizing art, but Any Forums stuff generally has uninspired subject matter when it comes to the backgrounds.

The vast majority of what passes for good background art in Any Forums is just satisfying the sole standard of being "pretty", which while not a bad thing, is kind of an unambitious way of approaching a very versatile art form. It's rare to see different art styles or experimental subject matter in background art of stories.

Attached: 3fe1.jpg (1654x1158, 516.63K)

>It's more complicated than that
Yea, I agree. I would be pretty happy with background art like in OP's example though. It's better than most shit in tv shows now.

>and simple art can be interesting
To a very limited extent because there will be little to find interest in

>and there's no rules to it
I disagree and this contradicts your first statement. I don't think any shit can be art or good looking.

The anime really pulled through when it comes to the art, the manga art is largely kind of muddy garbage, low value range makes it look cheap like it was photocopied a lot.