Debate: can anime/manga be made outside of Japan?

I believe it can. After all, why else did the International Manga Award become a thing in Japan?

Attached: RWBY_Cover.jpg (250x141, 16.39K)

漫画 is a Japanese word that translated to comics.
Manga is an English word that means Japanese comics.
Go away.

What's the difference between anime and cartoons?

>Debate
No it isn't.

In Japan I believe they're the same thing, but in America, the difference is based on connotation. "Cartoon" has different definitions, but in the animation field, they are generally western/American, while anime is Japanese.

Cartoon = caricature. Anime isn't made in a caricature style.

From what I've heard, the Japanese classify ALL animation as "Anime."

Japanese-style cartoon I mean

Every cartoon is an anime (animation) but not every anime is a cartoon. Japs also have their own word for cartoons (kāto~ūn). They never refer to their own works as that.

>Anime isn't made in a caricature style.

Attached: xaH3I1qd.gif (500x281, 1.8M)

Anime characters would look like racist WW2 stereotypes if they were actually drawn like caricatures. Wypipo make fun of their own exaggerated features in cartoons.

Better question: Can a Weekly Manga be successful outside of Japan?

Stop being retarded.

Attached: 14d1a832053fd2c9efbe422fa6fd58b4_600.jpg (429x600, 28.95K)

No. Debate over. Now take your garbage back to Any Forums.

Cartoon are animated media that doesn't have a continuous storyline, everything is everchanging or repeating itself. Last Airbender is 'anime', Gravity Falls is 'Cartoon'

Any Forums would always throw a hissy feat over semantics.

But here's the truth:
Anime/Manga is a style and non-Japs are increasingly getting better and better at copying it - both in terms of art, cinematography, and even story

Artists like Euphoniuz for example is a westerner that enjoy making fake anime screenshots that are nearly indistinguishable from what is airing

Gatekeep all you wish
But if Japan started by copying cartoons, I fail to see any reason why the outsiders cannot do the same to Japan

Attached: I+mean+yeah+he+probably+should+ask+first+_8666ebfce349658be0095ff47c752d60.png (326x258, 57.38K)

Yes but it wont be good. Korean shit is terrible too

Anime are Japanese animations. Manga are Japanese comics. That's it. There is no other requirement that set their definition apart.

Stuff like Avatar or Castlevania should simply be called "animation" to avoid confusion. They're not cartoons but they're not made in Japan either, therefore they're just "animation".

Anime/Manga is a unique style of cartoon from Japan but it's not that the non-japs are getting better at copying, it's that they're just getting better and using old lost techniques called drawing instead of cheap 3D CGI which I for one am glad to have fucking back.
Koreans make some of the best anime psychological anime to date with the lost art of facial expressions
Chinese make some of the best anime with quality animation
Japanese is just a cope these days of once it once was

Attached: tumblr_f76fb8a4360180a01e098729d11db4b0_76d26b99_500.gif (540x290, 3.56M)

Oh, user
Anime was originally Disney rip offs
It was artists like Go-Nagai that challenged the notion that cartoons and comics are just for children
And they did it by creating edgy Hannah Barbara fanfics lol

Attached: FgjxEVc.jpg (500x429, 55.33K)

>originally
Yes, they were cartoons originally but not anymore. If they were still cartoons they would have deformed bodies and exaggerated facial features. Big eyes isn't an exaggeration in this case since Asians have small eyes, it's an idealization.

No, fuck off.

So what do you call shows like Avatar and RWBY? :^)