Do you think anime would benefit from having a Canon...

Do you think anime would benefit from having a Canon? Would it improve discourse and serve as a way to direct new viewers attention to good anime they might otherwise overlook? If not, why?

Attached: Hayao-Miyazaki-The-Art-Of-Nausica-Of-The-Valley-Of-The-Wind-Watercolor-Impressions-nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind-39381876-1280-960.jpg (1280x960, 490.07K)

anime as a medium is mostly filled with garbage, making a canon list would end up as being the only list of anime that is worth seeing instead of a starting point to delve deeper into the medium

Kill yourselves, tourists.

back to watching isekai

wtf is "anime canon"? recommendation lists are aplenty, and animation is simply a medium, you can't codify it into some list of TRUE and HONEST animes
sounds like you have autism

canon is just something that exists not something someone creates you retard

No. Canon usually streamlines variety.

‘Literary Canon’ is just stuff that lets you learn a series of stories, references and structures that will be culturally relevant to you and inform you on certain forms of story structure. So sure, you could probably compile some manga that’s ingrained in Japanese cultural relevancy but you’ll end up reading Astroboy, Doraemon and Kochikame.

Attached: 710303C0-8EE0-40A8-A2A6-5D443A951740.jpg (840x1280, 162.31K)

You don't know what a canon is do you?
You don't know what a canon is do you?

a canon does not improve discourse, all it does is provide a showcase of the best in the medium to a general, average, mediocre audience - who by definition are incapable of quality discussion. it is still a net positive in what it does for the reputation of the genre/medium.
the only things that improve discussion are gatekeeping, purity spiraling and tireless elitism. let the cream rise to the top

>would manga and anime benefit from being more like American comics
No. There's always someone that comes up with these stupid questions, the answer will always be no.

You mean as in the Western Canon? You can't really apply that concept to anime since it's fundamentally a commercial oriented medium

>Canon

did your "is it me or is there a distinct lack of anime critics? For something as popular as anime you would expect there to be more critics around." thread not pan out like you expected ahahahaha

What gave it away?

distinctly western approach to eastern shit with stuff that is really not needed at all, and a cucky need for authorities to tell you what to do.

you have extremely severe autism and are not smart at all, an you're using the word wrong like a 14 year old

who's telling you what to do?

Every medium has a canon.

It's called watching the works by certain directors/animators/studios, reading even the most basic history of anime book will tell you all about those. Or don't and simply watch anime that looks appealing instead.

Most people including anime fans aren't (and have no reason to be) interested in such a thing. Those who are interested can easily find what they're looking for. Anime is not that old after all. Even if you're looking for more obscure stuff, you usually just ask here.

Attached: 1933 Ugokie Kori no Tatehiki.webm (670x450, 2.93M)

you can* usually just ask here.

Anime is like 80% made to advertise a pre-existing source material so that would be pointless.

A manga canon may possibly, potentially be worth something but you'd have to ask Japan to do that first which I doubt they would want to.

>did your "is it me or is there a distinct lack of anime critics
Oh my god, it's that retard again?

What is with this guy and forcing the idea of "people need to tell other people what to watch"

Me? Fortunately, nobody. But what I said was that OP wants that, not me. What an odd thing to say, this whole post.

You mean, compile a list of relevant works? Sure, why not...Madoka, Death Note, Boku no...