Cowboy Bebop

The fact that there is any debate about the ending shows how deluded and gullible the anime community is.

Attached: bang.png (1200x900, 965.27K)

SPIKE DIES

I had completely forgotten some people think Spike lived for some reason. Isn't that just a joke? People liking the character so they pretend he survived?

either that or it's retards who don't understand themes, certainly not the over-arching theme of bebop

Main characters usually survive, and often survive far worse than that. I agree that it's silly, but I don't think it's all that outlandish or surprising.

he survived worse in the show so just because the show ends we should assume that he is dead? nah

>spike is dead because....LE TRAGIC SAD ENDINGS ARE GOOD AND MATURE?
cringe

This sentiment comes from a time where oldfag anime fans were pretty retarded and looked for any reason to justify the main character actually surviving, you can see it done in Death Note where people assume Light became a Shinigami, or in Code Geass where some schizos went to edit that last scene to make it look like Lelouch was the guy driving that cart, and then shamelessly called it the original broadcast version.
2000s anime fans were retards

>Immortality is well established within Code Geass and is even in its title
>One could argue CC is speaking to Lelouch rather than musing to herself in the last scene
The cart driver theory is pretty reasonable.

I don't think that is characteristic of any particular time period or community. a fair amount of people generally don't cope well with tragedy and finality in the endings of stories.

This is the kind of autism I'm talking about, yes it might be reasonable, yes Spike might've survived that shootout,yes Light might've became a Shinigami.
but all of those theories end up undermining the core narrative behind those deaths and the entire character arc involved in them, it retroactively ruins the protagonist's ending in an attempt to rationalize them still being alive.
Plotfag autism is really not always a good idea, what good is your theory being right if it ruins the entire themes and conclusion of the whole story

Laughing Bull said Spike survived when he should have died because that was not when he was fated to die. If you recall, Laughing Bull foretold of Spike's death being linked to a woman in the first episode. He returns to predict Spike's imminent death in the scene directly following Julia's death.

Spike was the tiger striped cat. The tiger striped cat was reborn after each death. A metaphor for how Spike faced multiple deadly situations and managed to cheat death every time. Yet, once the white female cat (Julia) died, the tiger striped cat (Spike) ceased to cheat death. He followed his love in death and never returned.

Holy shit, how are you this retarded?
See

Spike dying wasn't sad. He wanted to go. Him living would be the real tragedy.

Vicious is the biggest problem of Bebop and sours every episode he is in including the finale.

Spike's episode's are the highest rated and most talked about.

Attached: 1635280012053.jpg (2727x2141, 2.99M)

Attached: 1635280149493.jpg (2727x2141, 3.12M)

Any misunderstanding about Cowboy Bebop's ending should have disappeared after seeing Samurai Champloo's ending.

Apparently Watanabe has said that he "wasn't sure" whether or not Spike died. I assume he may have wanted to leave it ambiguous, but it's pretty obvious from a thematic standpoint that he died.

Watanabe told Mary Elizabeth McGlynn that Spike was dead.

In 2002 Anime Expo New York, Watanabe admitted that he tells fans fake answers.

Interviewer: Did the movie really take place, or is it just a dream?
Watanabe: What did you think?
Interviewer: I don’t know.
Watanabe: For people who say it’s a dream, I say it’s not a dream. If they say it isn't a dream, I answer it’s a dream.

In 2013 MCM London Comic Con, Watanabe said Spike was “just sleeping” then he proceeded to start laughing his ass off.

In 2015 at San Japan, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, the director of the English Dub said that she did a panel with Watanabe and that they went out for drinks after, wherein Watanabe told her “Spike is dead!”

In the Cowboy Bebop Extra Session Anime DVD with Art Guide Book Watanabe gave an interview where he said this:

Watanabe: In my mind, I had already decided that Spike would attack alone at the end. I think Nobumoto said that she wanted Faye to go with him.
Nobumoto: Not Faye, but Jet.
Watanabe: Before that, we were talking about letting them all go together. We decided not to do that because it meant that all of them would get killed (laughs). Getting them all slaughtered would not be a good idea, so we changed it back to what it is now.

Attached: watanabe-nobumoto interview.png (1265x869, 697.04K)