Late 90s/early 00s anime

What's with all the edge from this time period?

Attached: edge.jpg (2688x1980, 901.03K)

It was a better time. Now all you get these days are cringy muh family friendly shows like spy x faggot and the likes.

Edge was just the trend at the time in general you saw it on movies and especially music as well

I'd take edgekinos anyday over boring moeshit that has been done a gorillion times with zero identity whatsoever

It's because it was right after the cold war ended and people all of the sudden didn't get any dread from living their daily lives, so they sought after it in media instead.

Must take a quite the mental illness to sperg on every thread about the moe boogeyman

>What's with all the KINO from this time period?
Fixed

>moe boogieman
It's like you don't know anything about the medium pre 07

Are you unironically doing this meme

Attached: 1630865164846.jpg (992x991, 334.18K)

Don't forget FMA.

Attached: selim.png (722x471, 355.54K)

Hello moeschizo, this is the first time I talk about this topic, it might be a surprise to you, but some people do hold the same opinion and it's not actually just one guy!

It’s funny how people have nostalgia for this period now, I remember back in the day a lot of people used to complain about shows like Wolf’s Rain, Elden Lied and Ergo Proxy for being boring and relying on edgyness and shock value to keep an audience.
People always want the opposite of whatever’s popular at the time.
In another 20 years some new trend will arise and people will be talking about how much they miss the food ol isekai days.

I’ll take moekino anyday over boring edgeshit that has been done a gorilla on times with zero identity whatsoever

We still get edgy shit today problem is it tries too hard and has no effect since it's been done to death.

A lot of it is because they were trying to ride the wave of Evangelion, but some argue it was an inevitable shift that started with OVAs in the early 90s/late80s.

You think what we have now is try hard egdy? Watch devilmam the birth or genocyber, really any lte 80s/early90s OVA. They’re full of unnecessary amounts of detailed gore and constantly trying to one up each other.
It’s all just shock value schlock

Because Japan's economy collapsed in 92 and then the Asian market crash happened in 97. The 90s was a decade of uncertainty and angst for Japan.

I wish edgekino shows would try to be a bit more original with their darkness, I fuckin love Bokurano because it was unique in its edgy/dark ways

Tsutomu Nihei is another good example of that.
He knows how to create an oppressive atmosphere without needing to resort to excessive brutality.
Although he does that as well.
But just the strangeness and isolation portrayed in his settings does a lot to create a feeling of darkness that none of the shows in the OP barring Eva get at.

A lot of people cite Blame, but personally I think some of the more interesting examples of him doing this appear in Abara.

Aposimz and Sidonia also have that quality but they’re much more optimistic stories that balance it with lighthearted moments.

>edge
it wasn't considered edge because people were more genuine back then. "edge" arose out of social media. society got used to reading words without action, seeing the way that posers talk, witnessing people hunting for "reactions" etc... fake news was the icing on the cake. so now the default is to believe that people are trying to be "on brand" when they speak or act. they can no longer tell when a character is being genuinely serious or is trying too hard and thus being edgy.

I kinda want to see it come back ngl

/thread
Give me more hyperviolence edgekino, and less moeshit family friendly bullshit.

user these people don't watch old stuff, they have never know what real edge in anime looks like. Their only line of reference is post 10s stuff