DBZ

Does DBZ have any merit? Why would someone choose to watch DBZ over other shounen shows?
Is it a masterpiece?

Attached: A0B2AB62-8C89-4DFF-9EC3-7C3524A852D3.jpg (196x257, 10.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/interviews/akira-toriyama-editor-says-there-is-nothing-to-learn-from-dragon-ball/
youtube.com/watch?v=_iXSgEcZh8U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DBZ is the most important animanga to date.

What makes it so important?

Goddamn Jiren is fucking STRONG

The Dragon Ball manga is a masterpiece. The anime however, is bottom of the barrel gunk

its ok

It doesn’t take itself seriously, and the fact that this makes people mad is amusing

Friendly reminder that SSJ3 is a stupid useless form that never accomplished anything.

It's like listening to Hendrix or the Beatles instead of more modern performers. Is it important and pivotal to its medium? Yes. Is it the best fighter Shonen you can start watching now? Not by a longshot.

If you haven't watched DBZ, I don't know if you can even be considered human. It's an essential anime for both weebs and non-weebs. Make sure you get the one with the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack

>I decided to make Dragon Ball a work without substance.
>M: Without substance?
>T: That’s right, Matsuyama-kun, have you ever learned anything by reading Dragon Ball, that you can remember?
>M: Well, of course, um…
>T: No, there’s nothing you can learn by reading Dragon Ball. It’s not a lesson in life, it’s useless in our lives; it’s just a funny comic. And that’s fine!
thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/interviews/akira-toriyama-editor-says-there-is-nothing-to-learn-from-dragon-ball/

Toriyama is kinda a retard for not realizing that readers might extract meaning from a work the author did not intend, death of the author and everything.

Answered your own question.
youtube.com/watch?v=_iXSgEcZh8U

>Does DBZ have any merit?
Culturally absolutely
>Why would someone choose to watch DBZ over other shounen shows?
See above. It's still decent on it's own
>Is it a masterpiece?
No lol

Yeah, but it looks cool.

You are kind of a retard for not seeing through the very thin layer of irony in that interview. You're projecting Goku's personality onto Toriyama when it's obvious he's much deeper and a bit sarcastic, Dragon Ball doesn't have c like that, just as Toriyama says.

*characters like that

DBZ, and Dragon Ball as a whole, doesn't have that much merit or substance. People only watch it for the fights and power ups, so it's entertaining as a kid. As a adult though, It's not really good, and shonen (and anime as a whole) is not known for it's good writing.

If I can give DB anything, is that Toriyama's art style is unique among anime.

You're not wrong but you're not right either, people watch Dragon Ball because deep down they also desire to be free like Goku, embracing the power of being powerful while staying uncorrupted and pure hearted. That is true freedom well I think that's what Toriyama is trying to convey.

>You are kind of a retard for not seeing through the very thin layer of irony in that interview.

See through irony from text translated from Japanese to English, yeah okay. For all I know Toriyama is another jaded old fart like Miyazaki.
Not to mention the entire second half of the article is the author seething about Toriyama 's comments on how DB means nothing.

>DBZ
no
>The Dragon Ball manga
Absolutely. God tier artist