Why english translations are dogshit

Ok, after 18 months of japanese study and likely some amateur studies of how linguistics works (I also research a bit of how linguistics works for fun and because I was hoping it will help learn faster japanese).

I can now answer why the fuck every english translation is dog shit and why japanese may be untranslatable to english.

Light novels don't have awful translations, they're usually quite good.
The issue is deeper and harder to explain.

The core issue is that the writing system of japanese puts hardcore mental memory limits into the active vocabulary a japanese people could basically recall from memory and write from memory.
This puts social and cultural incentives to default to a core vocabulary of 3-5k words they use for pretty much anything.
Again, doesn't mean is their passive vocabulary or that japanese don't have as many words as english.
Is their active vocabulary which caps on average to 3-5k.

So japanese is basically a language where the vocabulary used is quite small, but because humans have a natural need for comunicating and expressing themselves, japanese has developed a system of particles they use to give contextual clues, and also give a wide range of social relationships and emotional context to the same basic word.

The same basic word in japanese would have a radical emotional and contextual meaning based on just using a diferent particle, or some clever lack or wrong, or just regional diferences into how they use particles

Since particles has no proper way of being translated into english, pretty much the contextual meaning and expressive value of a light novel will be lost

Since most anime translators, likely don't have a degree in creative writing, they are unable to properly convey the meaning into a translation, they lack the skills to properly write a pretty english sentence
But since likely this is localization, we can assume americans to be just bad

It's also why japanese is really bad being translated into english by machines

Attached: thumb_143665225_3586533551462040_4231307625033931519_n-6684836380.jpg (400x453, 49.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/lum-the-invader-girl-bbc-dub-of-urusei-yatsura/Lum the Invader Girl part 1 BBC dub of Urusei Yatsura うる星やつら.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Again, this was a long post, but is likely the best I can properly explain why light novel translations are dogshit.

It often turns out worse when translators do fancy themselves as writers and try and put their own spin on it.

>Why english translations are dogshit
You forgot to mention because modern English language itself is dogshit. Modern English as used by international Internet users is reduced to a small percentage of its full vocabulary capacity. But even classic English would never amount to the levels of expressions German and French are capable of, as demonstrated by Thomas Mann and Marcel Proust.

I don't understand what you're saying but good on you

You are everything wrong with Europe.

How good are you at this language after 18 months and what did you use to get to that point? Mostly self study?

I can sort of guess the context and topic of most shit I read and hear, but can't give any detailed clues on specifis.

so, more likely my level is similar to a 4 year old kid.

Again, I've only started in january last year.

I see, Im on a similar journey and I find it hard to make progress in a similar timeframe. But this assures me that I just have to do more

It's a five year commitment.

You will fail if you give up before reaching the 5th year mark of active study.

You will eventually get there, if you keep working your vocabulary, just don't give up.

Even english took me 2 years to learn from spanish as a teen in a language school.

>This puts social and cultural incentives to default to a core vocabulary of 3-5k words they use for pretty much anything.

The opposite is true.

Modern Japanese is a hybrid of the indigenous spoken language and the written language that developed from the introduction of Chinese characters. As a result, there is a lot of redundancy in vocabulary.

Attached: 1636308102743.jpg (715x591, 220.18K)

Then where is it? Because there's a disconnect in how Japanese is translated, and I doubt that all of that disconnect can be explained by English translation choices

So you know less than me and here you are talking like you know your shit.

Do you even know any other langague besides your own to call yourself a "linguistics researcher"?

Where is what

What discrepancy you fucking tard

yes, spanish is my native lenguage and I have C2 vocab and B2 grammar in english.

Everything is shouganai for example. Whereas in English this is translated into a whole bunch of different things. Sure, a lot of these translations are too liberal, but is there really no other phrase for that feeling of "can't help it/it is what it is/etc"?

guey o parsero?

congolombian.

>The core issue is that the writing system of japanese puts hardcore mental memory limits into the active vocabulary a japanese people could basically recall from memory and write from memory.
>This puts social and cultural incentives to default to a core vocabulary of 3-5k words they use for pretty much anything.
>Again, doesn't mean is their passive vocabulary or that japanese don't have as many words as english.
>Is their active vocabulary which caps on average to 3-5k.
I think there's a hole in your logic here. People learn spoken language as a kid well before they're taught reading and writing. Vocab breadth in memory and popular usage isn't necessarily constrained by writing difficulty. Plus Japanese writing falls back to phonetic kana all the time anyway, especially for dialogue. In comparison, Chinese has even more characters to memorize, but flowery prose hasn't died out, and machine TL to English doesn't suck.

actually argueing for a couple hours on Any Forums made me understand why.

My path of ideas is not wrong, my conclusions were a bit off the real situation.

Japanese vocabulary works the same as their kanji system.
There's only a really low vocabulary size in their language.

I assume and guess (again, is an informed guess) that their entire vocabulary is around 3-4k words.
But like their kanjis, the rest of their vocabulary is made of compound words, in an aglutination system.

Stop reading primitive Narou-kei trash and actually learn Japanese before constructing any theories.

It sucks because no one who is exceptional at translating a language is going to spend their time translating children's cartoons

>Why american translations are dogshit.
Fixed it for you and it's because america is dogshit. Actual British translations are great.
>archive.org/details/lum-the-invader-girl-bbc-dub-of-urusei-yatsura/Lum the Invader Girl part 1 BBC dub of Urusei Yatsura うる星やつら.mp4

Attached: ataru.png (480x360, 252.45K)