30 year old here

30 year old here

I was just scrolling through various anime by year, feeling nostalgia and I realized something

Maybe it's entirely just my own experience, but I feel like kill la kill was the definitive moment where anime was sorta in between my generation (gurren lagann, cowboy bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho etc) and the next, younger generation. Something from that point on changed about anime, something about the feelings they inspired. I don't want to sound like a "modern anime sucks" boomer but it felt like kill la kill was simultaneously the final love letter to my generation and also a introduction of anime to a new generation with different tastes.

Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe not about kill la kill but about another particular anime?

Attached: Kill-la-Kill-promo-poster.jpg (640x960, 241.26K)

2006-2014 was undeniably the prime of anime, everything came after that lost the charm of anime.

I'm surprised I'm not the only one to feel that way. So mind if I ask you some questions? Why do you think anime sucks now? What was the last good anime that you think separated that time period? And how old are you but you don't have to say if you don't want to

While I won't tell you "you are wrong" you just have to provide some evidence, even circumstantial, that support your bold assertion that anime isn't as good now or that is different to what it was. Please provide evidence.

I know Kill la Kill is a relatively new show but I always think of it like it's an early 90s show. I can imagine Kill la Kill being passed around in a homemade VHS tape during the early 90s.

you think anime sucks because you stopped being able to enjoy things
I recommend watching Kemono Friends

Japan's economy is dying and studios don't get proper budget to do anime. Back in the days anime like Death Note, FMAB, HxH were adapted with great effort, they tried to maintain proper pacing and that's why you get unusual episode numbers like DN having 36. But now they fuck up the pacing and try to fill the story in either 24 or 12 episodes.

No user you're just 30 and don't care about children cartoons that much

Japan economy has been dying since the late 80s, early 90s yet some of the best anime came after this. Surely Japan's economy dying (which is not the case as it's just de facto state now) can not be the reason why "anime sucks now". You need to provide actual evidence.

Its not that I believe it isn't good anymore,rather that it isn't made for my generation. Like I said, it could be just me
I'll check it out, I love getting recs
But I still enjoy anime from my time. I'm watching paranoia agent right now

Wrong. I am over 30 and I watch anime exclusively now.

I think it's about genre. When I hit 30 I realized I cannot relate to the modern audience - I don't want to escape my current life, I enjoy parodies and satire on the topics I and my colleagues experience daily, but am overall happy - if there was anime about struggles of working at demon lord's dungeon office it would be fun, if there is an anime about neet that got hit by a truck and got hax powers that allow him to acquire slave girls then I don't get it. I'm too old for baby's first existential crisis as a character development or high school romances. At the same time I understand the producers - they want something that sells. It just seems to me that I stopped being target audience and it isn't profitable to make anime for middle class normies, they don't buy figurines, they don't cosplay your characters, they aren't the obsessed otaku that will try to open their wallets and fill the holes in their lives with kawaii magical girls.

All doom and gloom in this thread. Even if not all new anime is not targeted at all it still is not impossible a new anime to be good. And there is a huge library of old great anime and manga to enjoy. Pace yourself and enjoy rewatching and rereading your favourite anime and manga after a few years and you will end up discovering new things that you haven't discovered in the past so it's going to be like a new experience. If you play your cards rights you will never run out of anime and manga to enjoy for the rest of your life.

Attached: Super+Cub.jpg (1448x2048, 500.1K)

Yeh that's pretty much what I'm doing

i feel like that moment was inuyasha on tv or something

ITT: nostalgia glasses

>anime sucks now
I wouldn't say that. Even the setting/genre everyone hates the most (isekai) has produced some of the best anime of all time.

Anime wasn't that great back then either. You still had the situation where only a couple of genuinely good anime were released every year, and a couple of "good but not great" anime, while the rest were utter trash. The reality is that now the cost of production and shipping is much lower, so more garbage is made. And rather than 80% of airing anime being total garbage, 95% of it is.
Pair that with human psychology. Due to a much larger choice it feels like most anime is too similar, so you're less likely to care about or like individual anime. Plus, the more you watch anime the less unique each next show will feel. The older you are the less impressionable you are, so you're less likely to like an anime.

Basically this.

Yes, but your brain and life are different now.

>Even the setting/genre everyone hates the most (isekai) has produced some of the best anime of all time.

lol like what??

I deliberately didn't name any because I don't want to feed the trolls or start flamewars.

I can't remember the exact figure of speech for this but in this situation you've probably caused more ruckus already by intentionally avoiding them

i don't agree that any of the best of all time are isekai, but none of the best anime of all time are episodic more or less anyway, so whatever

>none of the best anime are episodic
Agreed, good thing is most anime isn't episodic. At least the ones I watch aren't.

>2006-2014 was the peak years of my life therefor anime was best from that period