Explain this, susumiya fags

How the fuck is haruhi susumiya being used as literacy entrance test in multiple japanese colleges?

By comparison susumiya novels have 7-8k diferent words.
By comparison shakespeare plays have around 25-35k words on average.

Attached: Haruhi-Suzumiya-Funimation.jpg (1200x675, 51.89K)

Have you perhaps ever heard of an excerpt?

Kanji=/=English word

Attached: 8pGkbNG.png (800x600, 481.38K)

I mean, is something I've noticed.

I'm learning japanese, and they tend to have a more limited vocabulary they use than westerners.

average japanese only knows 2500-3000 kanjis, so is pretty clear I'm talking about words.

Attached: 1656723894123.gif (500x281, 885.3K)

You already answer it
>average japanese only knows 2500-3000 kanjis
>susumiya novels have 7-8k diferent words

I'm assuming you're talking about Suzumiya novel in Japanese instead of translation

I have no clue, again I'm asking why.

by comparison the average vocabulary of the more mediocre light novels tend to be around 3k words.
So susumiya clearly has twice the vocabulary of average lesser light novels.

I have no clue why this happens.

talking about japanese language.

The average japanese only uses 5k words for pretty much everything.

By comparison an english speaker uses 15-20k

Talking about average native speakers, not the ones with PHD in literature.

Sounds like i've walked into a cris thread. Wtf are you in here?

learning japanese.

It's a huge time sink

no, I mean, if the entire vocabulary an average native japanese speaker has is 5k, then I'm like 30% of the entire vocabulary a native has.

I'm around 1.5k words right now.
Holy shit, I'm fucking hyped right now.
I only need to speedrun 7k words, not 30k like in english.

This literally makes it much much easier.

average light novel has 3k words, susumiya is not for teenagers if it has 7k words.
Is clearly a college level text.

Didn't you start like a couple months ago? Are you reading and watching stuff or just doing a meme deck like core?

I started in january of last year, but I was like grinding like 30 minutes every day.

It was just like maybe a month or two ago, that I started to take seriously it.
Yesterday I grinded 350 words in a custom memrise vocabulary, but It likely took me around 6 hours.

But I'm kind of hyped right now if my target isn't 35k words like english, but 7k instead.
MUCH MUCH EASIER.

350 in a day is retarded you'll forget it all or maybe i'm just slow. Also 7k isn't a good stopping point, but it will be a lot easier. Also what about grammar? Reading NHK articles every day and watching anime and reading vns will be a lot better than a J->E deck. Or do what you think will work, but 7k isn't a good stopping point.

dunno, but 8k words is likely now my goal if haruhi is considered a literacy test in colleges.

I just want to let you know that comparing vocab sizes is not a great practice. While the amount of kanji in isolation a native can recognize is a few thousand, what matters a lot more is experience which elucidates context. Even at 3k without enough experience your reading wont be fluid and you'll likely make many mistakes where you believe you know what something is saying but you're misunderstanding. Don't try to speedrun jp user, just like any language you get out what you put in. Expect to take ~2 years for competency and ~5 for fluency with proper daily practice.

I guess a goal is good. But I guarantee it will take you longer than 7k/350=20 days to be able to read haruhi without looking stuff up.

and no you don't have to read that site fags

If I am able to comprehend and read through the Haruhi LNs, am I qualified to be a Japanese college student?

English is pretty redundant, usually having several words for the same meaning, while (I'm guessing) most of Japanese is spoken in phrases rather than individual words. Both languages have words with multiple meanings, so you just need to know fewer actual words.

Also you just got deleted off of Any Forums you fuck

Lmao. I have finished the 6k core japanese deck, and have learned ~3000 words on my mining deck, which means I know at least 9.000 words, even more counting words that aren't in my anki, and I still come across unknown words all the time reading manga and LNs. Did you really think fucking Japanese of all languages was gonna be easy with few words ? Don't get your hopes up, you're still gonna have to grind 20k words like in every other language.

I played Pokemon in JP and more or less understood everything, am I qualified to be a 5 year old Japanese child now?

When whores start thinking with their big brains.

i've fapped to quite a lot of doujins, am i qualified to be a jav star?

Nowhere close

that's not my point.

Japanese has the same number of roots and complex words as english.

Doesn't mean that because of their nature of their script, there's a physical hard cap into how many words can you use.

And I will challenge you, that the average japanese native can write from memory more than 1.5k kanjis.

100% sure after 2k words they have trouble writing them from memory.

What I am trying to say is that the unique characteristics of their writing system, forces a hard cap into what the average japanese knows from memory.
Which creates an incentive to have a smaller vocabulary than western languages.

>but mom, a random manga has a niche obscure word
and I'm 100% sure the average english native speaker can't tell me what overmorrow, ereyesterday and meldrop means without using google.

Doesn't make those words, words that every native speaker knows.

5 year olds don't know kanji and it's a baby game for babies, it should be fine.