Enokido as writer

>Enokido as writer
>Ikuhara as director
>SatoJun, Takuya Igarashi and Kosaka Harume as episode directors
>Hasegawa Shinya as animation director
>everyone considers it the worst season
What went wrong?

Attached: R (1).png (691x977, 1.87M)

Way better than the soulless movie we got. I don't even rate Sailor Moon seasons separately, it's a complete package in my eyes.

Filler and corporate-mandated Chibiusa shilling.

There is no point in watching any Sailor Moon after the original season.
>we lost our memories and became normal
>OH NO, WAIT--

based take, second and fourth seasons were painfully retarded because of chibiusa's presence
only thing that makes the show worth-watching beyond season one are the outer senshi and the endymion/selene references

Turns out celebrated directors and animators are capable of making garbage. Any Forums has yet to accept this though.

But, what went wrong?

They lost the charm of the original series.

bump

>Corporate-mandated chibiusa shilling
This sounds hilarious in its own right they way you described it

>worst season
It was leagues better than Stars

>Usagi wishing at the end of s1 to be normal and they all get amnesia
This is an example of one thing the manga did better. In the manga Serenity killed herself, and at one point Usagi is in such despair she practically attempts it again, but it doesn't work and she basically realises fuck it, no more running away. She accepts being Sailor Moon, even though it's tough. The first season of the anime had that awesome finale, but it was really jarring for me to then hear Usagi go "actually I just wanna be a normal girl." The first anime has it's moments but some things in it really bother me, like dragging that out or all the will-they-or-won't they with Mamoru (yes I know that's because the director hated him). It sucks that Crystal had to be the way it is, there is some really cool manga-only stuff.

IDK, I haven't read up to the equivalent point in the manga yet so not sure how it plays out in context, but I think
>"actually I just wanna be a normal girl."
makes sense after the events of that entire season prevented her from doing that over and over.

Also some people who really hate Usagi I guess try to claim "that was so selfish of her! She has a responsibility to defend the world!" etc. in terms of her wanting a normal life, but at that moment she didn't know that and there was no indication there was any threat out there besides Beryl etc.

Nah, I'm not one of those people. Usagi is my favourite character in the series, actually. I think one way of putting it is that the first anime sort of artificially extends some of the character's issues (and exaggerates them, Usagi and Mamoru are a much healthier couple in the manga), while in the manga there's more of a concise character arc in that first arc, so it's up to preference really.

Amazon Trio ate too much of the season, it improves greatly when the Amazon Quartet takes over but by then the damage is done.
Also, the ChibiUsa/horse stuff is awkward af.

Yeah, I like Usagi the best too, but specifically the anime version right now because what I've read of the manga so far (and what I know happens since I'm pretty spoiled about most of the series) is just more frustrating to me to read. It feels like every other character constantly upstages Usagi and that she just doesn't do shit. And while that characterization is the point, it just isn't enjoyable to me because I know from the anime that Usagi CAN be cooler than this and it starts to feel like even the series itself dislikes her as the main character (as seen by how much of a role Venus gets when she shows up).

I think the anime did a better balance of making her kind of a wimp and selfish at times, while still actually giving her cool/badass moments at times in the plot. I do think the anime doesn't get as deep as having her consider suicide though, but I guess the first finale's aspect of "all my friends are dying and this is too fucking real" works okay for what it is too.

I do think Mamoru figuring out Usagi's identity is done way better and more naturally in the manga. Also Luna in the manga is pretty useful, while in the anime she gets so fucking irritating in the filler episodes ("no Usagi, you can't do one single thing you'd actually enjoy for once, your entire life has to be Sailor Moon and school"). I think she's definitely an area where the amount of filler just really hurts how likable she could be.

>it starts to feel like even the series itself dislikes her as the main character
That's funny, I feel that way about the first anime. The Usagi bullying gets ridiculous. One of my favourite moments in the manga is a moment in the first arc where Usagi comes to help Mamoru instead, and she kisses him without hesitation. Of course, Crystal butchered that. The "obligatory once-an-episode Tuxedo Mask interruption" got old for me really fast. But back on topic, Usagi does get some definite badass moments in the manga, I wouldn't worry about that. I would love to have the wackiness of the first anime but without the constant bickering. It's exhausting to me.

Yeah, agreed with the constant bullying being a negative too (towards the potrayal of the other girls rather than Usagi). In the manga they have less screentime but also don't come off as being so catty.

I think that the sheer amount of screentime Usagi gets in the anime sort of helps though, like in a "can you BELIEVE this shit" kind of way, because there are a lot of instances where Usagi's actually doing something nice/useful for someone and everyone else is unaware and assumes she's just being lazy. It gives Usagi an underdog vibe that makes her more likable. I think the manga treatment of her by the others comes off as too coddling at times, even if that's probably the point.

>assumes she's just being lazy
because she's somewhere else at the time, that is

I totally get you. I want to go back and finish the anime but every time I remember Rei and Chibiusa and how their shittiness gets the "its okay because they're best friends" treatment, I put it off again. With we could have a version that is the best of all worlds (live-action had some cute ideas, like Usagi's mum being quirky too).