Is Overlord worth watching? The skeleton guy looks based, but not sure if his series is actually good

Is Overlord worth watching? The skeleton guy looks based, but not sure if his series is actually good.

Attached: overlord-anime-1266054.jpg (1204x628, 98.2K)

No.

Nope
Nada
Not a chance
Get out while you still can

Of the big 4, this was the worst one.

Short answer: No
Long answer: First season is actually pretty good, if you can ignore the fact that one character is actually called the product of the lolicon necrophiliac trying to cram as many of his fetishes as possible into one being. It's your typical edge level, the biggest challenge to the MC actually forces him to go beyond his raw stats to win and there are plentiful assholes for our skelly to pwn. Then everything goes downhill. Animation starts relying more on the cheap looking CGI, author starts killing every bit of the tension on the MC side of things, by more or less stating that nothing can really compete with the MC and Ainz's level of the scummy behaviour and interpersonal incompetence are ramped up. The mysterious enemy from the first season that gave us the best high level fight in series? Forced to jobb with his special skill stated to be useless in the direct confrontation with Ainz and many of his floor guardians. Any sympathy points Ainz gained by being lesser evil? Gone for your typicall "hurt you to test your power" and "break enemies while ranting Bible quotes" trite plot devices. Fanservise? Even Albedo's tits and ass cannot compensate for the fact that, while there are multiple beautiful girls, their trashy personalities just make it hard to enjoy them.

>based
thread discarded

>Is Overlord worth watching?
yes
>but not sure if his series is actually good.
it isn't

Season 1 was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had watching anime. Straight up fun if you don't take it too seriously. Pseuds can hate all they want.

The LN is fun if you don't take it too seriously. The anime is a pile of shit.

Attached: 1537896247486.webm (1280x720, 2.86M)

I wouldn't say that the anime is the worst adaptation I've seen. It keeps the important information in place so you can understand what's happening and why, the voice acting is great and the music is nice. It's just... the CG is pure pain. None of the action looks good.

based

It did cut some shit but yeah the visuals are so fucking bad they completely fuck the whole experience. It's not just the CGI, the color palette they chose for everything is utter dogshit, even in season 1 which is the one that some people actually like.

why does every isekai turn into some weirdly specific power fantasy?
shield hero definitely made me wonder if the author had been bullied at one point

It depends on what you're looking for. Trying not to sound pretentious but a lot of the normal things you'd expect in a story aren't in this. You don't get a chain of ever more powerful bad guys for the MC to fight, nor a steady stream of breadcrumbs leading towards an explanation of how this happened.
Skelly is basically the strongest being in the setting, it's interesting to see what he does with his power, and to explore the "game-like" world that takes certain cliches and expands on them, like how everyone casts spells in English despite England not being a thing. Tension generally comes from non-skeleton characters facing death, which is abundant for them.

The problem with the LN can't be alleviated by "not taking it too seriously" It's extremely long winded and bloated for no reason, with some volumes which feel like complete filler at times, leading to just large segments where nothing interesting is happening. It has its moments, but for most people it wouldn't be worth the slog. The art is the best thing about it, which isn't good for a LN. Honestly, this would have benefitted greatly from a good anime, with the fat skinned off the series, but for that it would need a competently made anime, which is not what we got. The fact that Season 1 is praised the most by AOs, even if it's one of the weaker arcs of the series, just shows how much they fucked up the adaptation later on. Currently finished reading volume 13, how is 14? Is 15 out yet, or only leaks?

It's typical bullshit power fantasy isekai anime. It's not very complicated, but I somehow enjoy watching it.

15 literally just came out this week, not translated.
I'd say volume 3 is one of the more popular parts of the series? Volume 2 is dull as hell though. Is there any LN where volume 2 is great?

The anime is not very good, read the novel instead.

I dunno, I never felt particularly bothered by the pacing in the LN. Maybe if you're looking at it as a grand epic tale, but I've always read it as a borderline slice of life series.

Yes, if you like state of modern Isekai.

Idk, but as far as I'm concerned there is the definitive problem of the isekais straing into excessive revenge or fanservice shows of overwhelming power. Unironically some of the Shoujo/Josei villainess isekais are better in this regard, simply because they typically seem to avoid having the MC just curb stomp her foes (at least those I've read for more than first three chapters). Then again, many of these prefer the soft, social power instead of the raw physical or magical might. I actually liked Monster no Goshujin-sama, because both the protagonist and the main antagonist have used their chosen ones' power boosts during the lowest points in their lives, when they have both lost the ability to fully trust other humans. It's just that the MC directed his power towards gaining somebody he can trust, while the antagonist simply wanted to destroy everything around. And while the MC slowly starts to heal his heart and relearn how to trust the others, the antagonist is further isolating himself and continuing his misantropic rants. Pretty solid contrast, if you asked me. Also, we are over 40 chapters in and the MC still isn't at the top of the powerscale, though he has some pretty impressive utility powers.

>modern
Overlord has been running for a decade

>Every isekai
Most isekai are either shonen or battle harems. So it was always a power fantasy.
You can have some comedy ones like Black Company, but they are rarer.

Darn skeletons.

By modern I mean those that come after the SAO hype

NTA, but I think he was rather talking about the four often repeated scenarios:
>Sudden power boost turning abused rando into invincible powerhouse.
>The excessive vengence on some cunt, ala Shield Hero.
>Power Overwhelming! Where the MC goes around streamrolling supposedly fearsome opponents, ala Overlord.
>Slave fantasy, where the MC not only gets magically bound slave girl, but also instantly wins her hearth so she'll follow him even after he sets her free.

>Slave fantasy, where the MC not only gets magically bound slave girl, but also instantly wins her hearth so she'll follow him even after he sets her free
ironically Familiar of Zero was the logical inverse of this exact scenario, and it was kino.