Remember when anime was rare?

I only got to experience the tail end of it by getting a hold of the complete DBZ series on bootleg DVDs with like 12 episodes on each disk around 2002.

Attached: 1610393535053.jpg (906x1280, 360.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Z_episodes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah. Dragon Ball was for casuals and spics even then too.

Here in the UK we never really had anime. so my first exposure to it was some gundam amv on youtube in around 2005.

Honestly, no. Anime was all over TV when I was in elementary school.

>emember when anime was rare?
Yeah, it makes me want to cry thinking about those good times.

I don't particularly remember the 1960's, no.

I don't remember anime being that rare in my country, everybody younger than 40-50 have watched classic shit like Doraemon, Dragonball, Sailor Moon or Mazinger. What I do remember is we calling them "japanese cartoons" and not anime.

Attached: senko.gif (351x352, 185.05K)

smtv live showed pokemon, they even did pokemon raps. yugioh and card capture sakura were also shown on itv, there wasnt a lot but it was there. i then found anime through blockbuster/netflix back when they still had a postal dvd service, which would have been pre-2006

yeah it was so rare that for the last 3 or 4 decades every child had access to it on regular tv in whatever country really

so rare

same, but it was mostly Naruto, Yugi, One Piece and DBZ
Pokemon are too obvious to even count
watched it on a german encoder, on ZDF and some other station
thats how i learnt german, too bad i didnt use it for years, so now i cant speak it anymore

Rubbish, we got it from the 70s, but it was always second-hand American dubbed stuff that nobody realised was anime for years

In 2002 there wasn't some official place you could go for information on DBZ. In America, most people had only ever seen the English dub and it only aired to the end of the Frieza Saga for years despite the JP anime being complete.

>bootleg DVDs with like 12 episodes on each disk around 2002.
OP what country are you from? DBZ, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon, and Gundam Wing aired in the late 90s to 2001. By 2002 there had been a shitton of anime on TV and that's also around the time Adult Swim started, so you had shows like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, FMA, etc.... I'd say anime was rare in the west before Toonami and 4kidsTV was a thing. Before then the only anime you had in the west was robotech/voltron or bootleg DVDs from asian flee markets.

What does Young Animal has to do with any of this?

I sure do! Especially before DVDs existed.

Attached: spmode.png (858x629, 1.22M)

>in America, most people had only ever seen the English dub and it only aired to the end of the Frieza Saga for years despite the JP anime being complete.
OP your young age is getting exposed. DBZ aired as early as 1996. And by 2001, we were already at the end of the Cell saga in the west.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Z_episodes

I recall my friend spoiling the ending to Cell. He showed me a clip of Vegeta sneak attacking Cell, but the resolution of the video was so bad, Vegeta looked like Frieza. Dial up was fun.

>In 2002 there wasn't some official place you could go for information on DBZ.
Plenty of people had VHS records of DBZ. And there were plenty of shit websites online for reading about anime, but nothing like it is today I'll give you that. By 2002 anime was already mainstream in the USA. Gundam Wing lead the ratings block for the key kids and young adults demographic making it the #1 show in the USA at one point. By 2002 we had adult swim and plenty of anime. Anime was rare back in the early 90s.

I used to buy bootleg anime CDs, not even DVDs. A friend had a whole barrel full of CDs and got me into Devilman.

>making it the #1 show in the USA at one point
*For ages 10 to 30* or something like that.

People seem to misunderstand me. I don't mean anime in general being rare. I mean being able to watch any series was rare. Most anime never got aired outside of Japan and even if it did get aired new seasons came out at a snail's pace.

>DVDs
V
H
S

> I mean being able to watch any series was rare.
I dispute even that. By 2002 to 2004 you had the following options:

>Cartoon Network (Toonami, Adult Swim)
>4KidsTV
>SciFi Channel
>Anime Selects (Comcast VoD service)
>Colours TV (Funimation block)
>G4 (Anime Unleashed block)
If you combine the total anime of all these it's probably around 70 or so series. And at least 20 of these are must watch childhood classics that most Japanese kids watch as well. Those born after 1990 had a decent selection of anime for their childhood.

you could get magazines. I had only seen frieza and knew cell was the latest villain from seeing one of those

He's too young to know what VHS was. It is clear he's a GenZ kid who doesn't know what he's talking about.

He even said he caught the tail end but by the time DVDs were out it was already dead and buried. Suncoast was the spot for me

based pink hair slut