Is Kaitani Shinobu one of the smartest mangaka out there? he made both One Outs and Liar game...

is Kaitani Shinobu one of the smartest mangaka out there? he made both One Outs and Liar game, two of the best written cat & mouse mind game stories.
surely a man cannot write characters smarter than himself

Attached: 71559.jpg (400x224, 24.12K)

his brain is gigantic, but he also just writes differently. i don't know if he did it for every arc of liar game, but he did take a long break to plan the final arc of it.

>surely a man cannot write characters smarter than himself
This is one of the stupidest things I keep reading here and in /lit/, most writers do research before writing a character, they take traits from everywhere and combine them, they aren't writing projections of themselves.
This is the same as saying you can't write a story about love if you've never experienced it, or you cannot write convincing female characters if you're not a woman, or you cannot portray rape accuretely if you're not a rapist/victim, or.... you get the idea
In reality you can write pretty much on anything and sometimes far better than the experts on it just by doing your research, which every decent writer does regardless of intelligence.

>This is the same as saying you can't write a story about love if you've never experienced it, or you cannot write convincing female characters if you're not a woman, or you cannot portray rape accuretely if you're not a rapist/victim, or.... you get the idea
all of these are true, why do you think the best portrays of rape for example are done by people who experienced the topic (e.g The war zone by Tim Roth), or how the best stories about war are written by war veterans? I'll admit the female character example is a bit extreme, but it still holds some truth to it, a male writer can never accurately portray the inner workings of a woman's mind, obviously they'll do their research into things written by women, in the same way everyone does their research about a topic at hand.
But research can only take you so far, an author cannot write a character smarter than they are, and yes, most writers do project parts of themselves onto their own fiction, we obviously cannot tell which parts but that doesn't mean it's not there, fiction isn't created in a vacuum.

>an author cannot write a character smarter than they are
They can make characters figure out things based on small ass hints or compute things faster than them

>urely a man cannot write characters smarter than himself
that's not how it works. To write such a story you first write down a simple scenario which and then add obstacles in between to make it something impossible for the characters in the story to figure out, then you go and further add small clues and hints and have your character discover them using his so "geniusness".

fucking hell, typing using phone sucks

computing things faster is not intelligence, and figuring things out based on small hints will unavoidably translate into poor improbable writing.
intelligent characters make assumptions based on the facts presented to them, it's what every single liar game arc reads like, there's no conclusion they get to that you yourself couldn't come up with while reading along and being presented with the same facts as them, that's what makes it well written, intelligence when it comes to writing is all about problem solving.
a character can only go as far as the author's problem solving capacities are.

>computing things faster is not intelligence
It is

>figuring things out based on small hints will unavoidably translate into poor improbable writing
It can happen without being poor writing. Have a character notice a small detail that the author would miss

Speaking of problem solving: an author can take his time and create the problem around the solution. It's not the same when you're creating the game and the solution

again, that's just poor writing, if the character figures out something that you yourself couldn't have figured out while reading along then it's poorly written and relies on too many improbabilities.
of course hindsight bias is still there, but it only works when you know you "could've" got to that conclusion, whether you were smart enough to get there or not isn't really the question.

>you yourself couldn't have figured out
you fucking wrote that shit you dumbfuck

I'm talking about the reader numskull, not the author

Do you think computers are smarter than people?

Yes, they are currently limited by the data their receive but once general purpose AI comes into play it will eclipse human intelligence.

>they are currently limited by the data their receive
Interesting, so you think the reason we don't have AGI yet is that we're not collecting enough data right now?

correct, deep learning algorithms are advanced enough to treat countless variables into account.
the only limiting factors are data and computing power that's mostly limited by our current technology, and even at its limits it still produces results that are far superior to any human's when trained on enough data.

First user here. No. They're highly specialized and very efficient but they don't come close to our general purpose intelligence. Speed of computing, however, DOES matter. It's just that everything else matters too

While I like LG and One Outs to a certain extent, I hate how Shinobu dumbed down other characters so his MC stands out more.

Pic related is the superior mind games manga.

Attached: 1655026586493.jpg (844x1200, 788.59K)

>Pic related is the superior mind games manga
Hearty kek!

And Fukumotofags came out of woodwork I see

I'm a musical chair guy myself.

Fellow galaxybrain manga enjoyers.

I've read one outs, lair game, usogui and a few other mind game and Keikaku mangas and anime.

Besides brutal martial arts stuff (which why i loved usogui so much) its my favorite kind.

Anyone of you got some more good ones?

Kaiji