Grave of the Fireflies

I thought that Studio Ghibli films were supposed to have a message about loving and cherishing life. Am I just too dumb to find that message in this movie? It just made me hate life.

Attached: p158931_p_v8_aa.jpg (960x1440, 244.31K)

It was supposed to have a message about loving and cherishing nukes.

It's suppose to show how evil Americans were. NIPPON NUMBA 1 DID NOTHING WRONG

You can be sure Setsuko would swallow.

It's an adaptation of a very depressing book. What did you expect?

Thoughts on him openly supporting the Japanese Communist Party under the idea that the Japanese military should not exist?

Attached: c0024539_11341218.jpg (600x600, 59.66K)

Nah, "love all life" was Tezuka's thing. Miyazaki will cut your throat with a hubcap.

it's a movie about the horrors that come from the callous disregard for life. how do you NOT see a message about cherishing life in it?

Basically the MC was a lazy piece of shit with no pride unwilling to pull his own weight. So he gets ostrasized, gets his little sister killed, and then dies alone in a subway

The message of the movie is have some fucking pride in yourself and work if you care even if you don't want to

Hey everyone, just posting my obligatory “In This Corner of the World is a much better film than Grave of the Fireflies” reply. Don’t mind me.

>*did all the abhorrent shit in Nanking*
>noooo God forbid two kids of us die a quick painless death
2 bombs wasnt near enough karma

isn't the story about the author's survivors guilt? They even made it darker than in real life because that's what they believed should have happened because of how awful they were.

It's about, both literally and thematically, the death of identity Japan experienced in WW2. The boy is the typical masculine side of Imperial Japan, while the girl is the stereotypical feminine. Their inability to accept the reality of Japan's failure and changing nature causes them to die.
It's been a while since I saw it so I'm fuzzy on some details but when they squat outside the rich peoples' house it's notably a Western-style one; the people who adapted were the ones who thrived as Japan went through its violent evolution. The boy is focused on silently bearing his burdens and even idolized his father who's in the navy, and never ever accepts that the navy lost and his father is dead.

Have people here even watched this? A lot of you seem to think Americans or nukes appear in the film at all.

>a quick painless death
You didn't even watch the movie, nigger.

Basically this. It's easy to draw the parallel that the stubbornness and anger is a reflection of military imperialism, and the death of your loved one is a reward for it.

take it to consolewar monkey

Getting the same impression. I think they're confusing it with that clip from Barefoot Gen, because everyone on this board wants to talk about anime they haven't seen.

Based

>It just made me hate life.
That was exactly the point. Honestly the world is full of shitty people who don't deserve to live and the really good people are the first to die. THAT was the damn message. Quite depressing but it is an honest and realistic message, so it should be considered a good anime movie.

Seita is Takahata's self-insert. He left his little sister starve to death during the bombings. In this movie Seita does his best to provide food for his sister, probably expressing Takahata's regrets or something.