Why did the Yugioh Anime and Manga differ so heavily...

Why did the Yugioh Anime and Manga differ so heavily? Compared to most Shounen who usually just add filler arcs and one off episodes Yugioh adds key moments and plot points not found in the manga and starting with GX it’s entirely different plots.

Attached: A1414878-28F1-47E1-A6B9-0CDF897F2819.jpg (1007x749, 168.53K)

Because they had to sell a card game

What does that have to do with the lack of synergy between adaptations?

The point was to sell the cards. Not faithfully adapt the manga.

GX is not written by the original author. Starting with GX the series became anime-first and they just started commissioning other authors to make a manga version of the anime and let them do their own thing. You see this with almost all anime-first series, the manga usually goes in a different direction because the mangaka is given some freedom and doesn't have all the information on where the anime series will go.

>GX is not written by the original author
I think he's talking about the original series. A large portion of episodes were filler not written by the author.

They knew they wanted the series to appeal to kodomos who would buy the cards

They could never compare to Kaz

All the differences in Duel Monsters amount to adding more space for the card game, and de-emphasizing moments that don't involve the card game, because the anime was meant to advertise the card game. Not to mention add entire filler arcs so the manga had time to finish.

For GX in beyond its as said. The anime and manga for GX and beyond were developed simultaneously so the respective writers had opportunity to diverge a bit.

OP clearly mentioned GX, which is just a case of prioritizing the anime then commissioning artists to make a manga but letting them do a different take. This is different from DM.
I wouldn't say DM differs heavily from the manga. There's the issue that they skimmed the whole beginning, and went straight into Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist (the part of the manga with more card games) because that part had gained traction. But the parts they did adapt were as faithful as any adaptation. They didn't skip the RPG at the end or duel dice monsters. So it was faithful. The manga itself is the one that switched to card games.
>but some lines are different
This is minor and any ln adaptation suffers from the same issue, as you'll often hear.

>They didn't skip the RPG at the end or duel dice monsters.

Dunegeon Dice Monsters is entirely different. In the manga the whole thing was a setup by Otogi/Duke's father to get revenge, and Yugi has to play without the millenium puzzle, and after the game he almost loses it in a fire. In the anime the DDD arc is demoted to a random filler match, Otogi/Duke's father is entirely absent, and the plot beat of Yugi having to play without his puzzle was moved to a card game with brainwashed Bandit Keith. Not to mention the anime added Duel monsters charatcers like Dark Magician into Dungeon Dice.

Oh yeah, speaking of big differences, Pegasus and Bandit Keith die in the manga but live until the end of the anime.

I can't believe some people unironically watch the anime

I don't read manga.

Why do you limit yourself to the shittier brother of anime & manga?

Because I don't like comic books.

You would like them more than anime if you ever bothered with them

Okay. That's a weird thing to be absolutely sure of. I could say the same thing about you and actual books without pictures.

Oh, sure, there are a few parts where they switch things. They adapt fight X after Y when it happened before Y. But it's not like they forego adapting cool fight X.
And they skip it when Pegasus dies. It's not like they meet Pegasus again in the manga anyway,lol. You get what I mean, right? You shouldn't let something small like this stop you from enjoying the anime entirely.

I read those too. The difference is that a book is written as a book, an anime adaptation is usually just a team of underpaid slaves trying to redraw manga panels to put them on TV despite the medium being different. So you get poorly redrawn manga panels that don't work like the panels did.

It also applies for TV-manga adaptation, the manga adaptation is often a cheap copy (not all the time, since it's easier to make a good looking manga than a good looking anime)

tldr: read/watch the original, every single time

That card game is big business user

I just don't like comics. I like characters and if I am going to sit down and interact with a text I need strong narratoin or else I get bored. Different strokes for different folks.

Theyre not that different as they both get worse with each successive arc.

Attached: [T-N]Yu-Gi-Oh_Movie(Toei1999)[3538A60A]LD.avi_snapshot_15.55.577.png (704x396, 479.93K)

Battle City is objectively the best arc. The 7 first volumes are just mid.

lol ¬_¬

Attached: Other Yugi pathetic.png (640x480, 377.15K)

>muh game of the week with basic rulesets and bullshit asspull solution everytime
The diversity is fun for a while but that's about it.

Attached: 1629271356290.png (546x398, 286.47K)

1999 movie was peak Anime Yugioh artstyle.