Thread on mangakas using 3D software

okay, I know this is controversial, but anyway I want to ask.

Would the benefits of 3D in productivity, be enough to overcome to drawbacks off it?

Specially for drawing a manga.

Sure, 3D and 2D has pros and cons.
But my question is valid.

Would you be ok with a popular manga artist just switching entirely to a 3D workflow to make manga pages, if this means he can produce the chapters much faster and with less effort, even if the quality obviously wont be the same?

And I don't think is a matter of 3D just being inherentely worse, to me, it seems a totally diferent medium with diferent strenghts and weakness, just like 2D.

Attached: 1610597484650.jpg (1024x768, 72.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mangadex.org/title/307c5981-37ad-43e2-b3aa-a62f46d9d1eb/hikari-man
youtube.com/watch?v=-MgU7qOkufU
youtube.com/watch?v=h0r7GdC5Bu0
youtube.com/watch?v=vW9pCT5ouZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=vnCse18n2VY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inio asano used 3d modeling extensively in dead dead demons and it looked fantastic, so clearly there's a lot of potential for it in 2d graphic art. but ENTIRELY 3d? i just don't see that ever looking good. i think part of using 3dcg well is acknowledging the inherent limitations and uncanny qualities of the medium and utilizing them rather than trying to downplay them. it might work for a horror one-shot or something, but not in general

I see it totally more as a diferent medium.

Clearly moe blobs can easily be adapted to 3D art, since I've seen them already in japanese games and 3D fan art.

Who's the not!Sakura supposed to be ?

mangadex.org/title/307c5981-37ad-43e2-b3aa-a62f46d9d1eb/hikari-man
Try not to puke

the only thing against 3d is that it can look really bad and ends up being jarring
alot of backgorunds are shit but 3d backrounds just clashs so much with the rest of the manga

I'm not autistic so I don't sperg out about the techniques people use to create things.

by 3D software, do you mean just using those posing softwares to get anatomy right, or you mean something like pic related where everything is just straight up 3D models?

Attached: d42bf297-db1c-4c2b-922e-bb2cb329543a.png (1127x1600, 1.61M)

What am I supposed to see?

It's not bad, clearly the art is technically good, the issue with some rigidity is because the artist don't know about bendy bones in 3D software.

But again, is a diferent medium, those pages are clearly drawn at a level that almost no manga is drawn except for like the top 1% of mangas in terms of drawing skill.

The point, is that manga maybe took 10% of the total effort, or even less than making such quality by hand.

To me is a diferent medium, so is more dependant on 3D NPR skills.
Clearly the level needed for making good NRP is way higher than drawing.
But again, is not a particular fatal flaw of 3D.

There's a lot of techniques, and there's some hybrid 2D/3D techniques.

3D software is already common on things like reference software for poses.
Specially for 3D backgrounds, is already the norm in much of the industry.

Do you mean for tracing for characters?
I don’t understand why that would be bad. Just have 3D models of the characters and draw over them
Purely 3D backgrounds I get tho. They need to be traced and flattened

There's a lot of things you can do, specially with blender grease pencil.

You could have a normal character being rendered, and then just draw on top the hair and facial expressions and just rig the head to reuse diferent eyes and mouths in diferent keyframes.

A lot of techniques from animation can be adapted to increase productivity in 2D.

I wonder how much of Oku's current workflow isnt 3d.He cut down on it after failing to run a full 3d manga decades ago but he started using It more and more to see how much he could get away with

>Would the benefits of 3D in productivity, be enough to overcome to drawbacks off it?
There are no benefits, most manga made by Inio Asano, Shinichi Sakamoto and Hiroya Oku look like absolute garbage.

Clip Studio Paint 3D backgrounds are the norm in manga. Even castle-nim shows up in isekai these days. I don't think it's bad, but it's better suited for slower, less dynamic stories like SoL and romance than it is for action or comedy.

As for using 3D models for characters, I think it's shit. Gesture and flow of movement are big in bringing life to a drawing, and it's even more important in manga where you have to portray motion in sequence. Using 3D models wrecks that and makes everything look stiff and floaty.

I don't have the page that explained it but I remember being surprised that GANTZ used 3D software for it's characters.

Attached: file.png (610x382, 364.27K)

Link? How would you do that?

Gantz mangaka traced over 3D models

youtube.com/watch?v=-MgU7qOkufU

Look up bendy bones, is literally not even hidden or secret tech, is just intermediate 3D feature on pretty much any 3D tool.

shit, sorry, I read you were asking about the bendy bones.

For the 2D part, is just grease pencil standart tech.

youtube.com/watch?v=h0r7GdC5Bu0

Blender literally has become the defacto 2D tool now.

I’ve actually got some experience with Blender and rigging(took a 3D animation class last semester, actually did a shit ton in it)
I don’t think we got to Bendy bonds and mixed 3D-2D so I’d love to know more about that stuff and how to do it

doesnt the guy who made gantz use it?
Any Forums doesnt seem to care

Lurk moar

I think is more because they're not the topics taught in begginer classes.

But they're standart tech if you like know 3D tools well.

As a personal advice, I would recommend to actually spend serious time with mastering blender.

There's also newer tech like geometry nodes being made.
youtube.com/watch?v=vW9pCT5ouZ8

Blender also has a line renderer which can really do complex shit if you master it.
youtube.com/watch?v=vnCse18n2VY
Look up freestyle tutorials.

My point is that claiming that 3D can't do 2D means more a lack of skills than lack of tech.