Evangelion thread

Finally fucking sat down and watched the last movie, it sat on my hard drive since release. All I can say is - Evangelion was always about Anno indulging in his own persona. Mostly his depression, being a lonely tired artist who can't catch a break. This resulted in interesting and unique stuff that made people talk, a real art piece that changed the industry.
Now he indulged again, except the emotions were those of a fat cat businessman with a very cushy life. The result is a surprisingly bland and predictable mecha action movie with some trippy visuals that certainly looks like Evangelion, but doesn't feel like it no matter how hard it tries. Even the usual internal monologues, instead of espousing certain ideas and thoughts, became lore dumps explaining things everyone knew for years before, like Gendo's past. The final message is also strange as fuck - Shinji doesn't want to remake the world because this only seems to lead to more Evangelion, but he still remakes it by handing out "get out of jail free" cards to everyone. Reminded me of that scene from the last Spider-Man movie, when he asked Dr. Strange to make everyone forget about him completely, but then started backpedaling while the spell was being cast. Also, the mecha action scenes were terrible. Literal TV quality CGI, I expected far more.
Overall, it's not a bad movie. But calling it a real end of Evangelion is an insult to The End of Evangelion.

Also Eva thread I guess.

Attached: 1631435217192.jpg (1917x816, 233.41K)

Attached: 1631403279263.jpg (1300x1116, 566.29K)

You just had to include a capeshit reference in your post?

It's the first example that came up.

didn't read
rebuilds are canon
rei > asuka

Attached: 1402727745753.jpg (500x500, 139.34K)

I was a Reifag since the beginning. Glad that she wasn't done dirty in this movie. The scenes where she was asking about the meanings of words reminded me of Ayanami Raising Project of all things.
>rebuilds are canon
I wonder where the franchise will go from here though.

Kaworei finally confirmed canon.

Anno has already talked about future reboots/spin-offs, we'll likely get something new in the next few years

Figures. I wonder if Anno should try channeling whatever part of him made Nadia all those years ago, and make something like that in Eva's universe. A more whimsical and lighthearted story that deals with more earthly, Miyazaki-like concepts. He's not really capable of doing psychological drama anymore, I don't think so. But his directorial style is still very unique and snappy, and he knows how to do emotional moments. So I'm curious.

Attached: 1629960416463.jpg (738x1000, 102.09K)

iirc he wants other directors to take a shot at making Eva projects, although if it's anything like Gundam they'll all be mediocre at best

I wonder if the audience would accept that. Unless others manage to replicate his visual style, it would feel too removed from the original, and unlike Gundam, no one sees Evangelion as an umbrella franchise where many things are possible. He might try to pull a Fate/stay night and turn his narrative-driven single story into a multiverse united by certain concepts, but I dunno if something as old as Eva could do that convincingly.

honestly Rebuild's only worth is confirming definitely that Asushin was always Eva's canon ending

Attached: 1645788355416.jpg (500x700, 66.15K)

I think a lot of die hard Eva fans wouldn't accept it but the wider, general audience would be fine with it. Anno would have the final say on whether anything gets approved in these projects, and knowing him he'd probably be heavily involved in writing and production anyways

>Eva's canon ending
No, that was Shinji destroying the world with third impact.

>he walked away in the second act
lmao pussy

Also, while EoE gave us the greatest mecha battle of all time, this movie gave us the silliest one. I was just fucking giggling at this shit.
I really don't get why they didn't at least try to draw the robots for such an important movie, using incredibly lazy 3D instead.

Attached: 1636178622068.jpg (1917x816, 133.15K)

rebuild isn't even canon so nothing was ruined, technically speaking

I'm sure Anno would disagree, he worked (lol) on this shit for like 15 years.
Although I remember hearing something about how much the final movie was rewritten. Now I wonder what the previous drafts were like. We certainly won't ever find out, but I bet it wasn't quite as campy.

I've seen all of EoE like 3 times. Never once did it end with third impact being averted and asushin confirmed. Every time it was the same end of the world followed by shinji strangling a dying asuka on the beach.

I'm sure Anno thought those scenes were very profound and shit.

The look and feel of rebuild gets me more than anything else, plot/narrative/character be damned. The tv series, death & rebirth, and EoE are visual masterpieces. Rebuild simply is not.
Like forget your bias about what EoE or Shin 4 is saying and just compare a striking barren hellscape against some low rent live action drone footage. Like really fucking ponder on that shit. God damn.

I liked the one part in movie 2 where Shinji went super sanic while running