Just watched only yesterday

this is the hardest a ghibli movie has ever made me cry why does no one bring it up

Attached: only yesterday.jpg (962x517, 53.26K)

Lots of people bring it up

It's legitimately underdiscussed relative to all of miyazaki's work

lol she doesn't know how fractions, and multiplying them work

Because people like fantasy manbaby Miyazakishit more

Relative to the most widely known and celebrated anime director of all time? Yes you're right, everything is

You watched what only yesterday?

I like it but what the hell about it made you cry? It's just a slow nostalgia trip.

i feel its underdiscussed most people know/gas up miyazaki

Have you watched Kaguya Hime or Grave of the Fireflies yet? Takahata is proficient at jerking your tears out.

Attached: Only Yesterday.jpg (5760x3072, 3.76M)

the ending sequence where herself as a child and all her classmates help guide her as an adult totally broke me

she's smart and knows how to do it, but is filtered by the rote memorization approach at school. she tries to make logic of improper fractions and dividing by fractions. this is one of the gaping problems in many curriculums, students are taught things logically palatable to them using real life examples (watermelons... pies... whatever) and then something like dividing by fractions shows up and wrecks their train of thought.

ive seen Kaguya but not Grave

Kaguya actually didnt make me cry at all but the ending made me feel empty for a bit

>look at me i'm so hotshit for being contrarian to a verifiable fact
sweeping over IMDb, Only Yesterday has one of the lowest ratings (33k). Pom Poko has 29k, the Yamadas has 14k. In comparison, Castle in the Sky has 163k, Grave of the Fireflies has 268k, Spirited Away 734k, Mononoke 383k.
>but that's just the Miyazaki name
Arrietty has 91k, more than Miyazaki's the wind rises. Now what?

>gas up miyazaki
How old are you?

I meant lots of people bring it up on Any Forums, I don't know anything about IMDb. Anyways I'm not interested in arguing about what is or isn't popular, you can have this one if you want it

I too enjoy Hallmark Channel movies, OP.

>nostalgia trip
what kind of retardation is this? Taeko isn't nostalgic about her past. it's full of trauma and shitty memories. she wants to get over it and move on with her life.

Attached: af3.jpg (1080x1080, 55.91K)

im referring to normies

I mean more of a nostalgia trip for the viewer. Even if you can't find similarities with exactly what Taeko went through, it feels like most people would be able to empathize with at least a few aspects. Whether its struggling with school, having some family issues of some sort, wondering what you want to do when you get older, going through weird puberty stuff, having a crush for the first time, etc.

Also its not like all of Taeko's memories were bad, it's just her going through those things in her memories and thinking about how they've affected the way she thinks/acts now, for better or worse.

I liked the farmer.