Literally mary sue

checks every single item on the list, including the name

I just watched the rebuilds and wtf was the deal with this character? was it a deliberate troll? she's literally a walking plot device

Attached: mari-su.jpg (594x1056, 289.73K)

She destroyed 25 years of shipping wars.
She's alright in my book.

yes, but her presence in the story never made a lick of sense

she's literally just there to mog everyone in a fight while shouting cringy one-liners and advance the plot in a nonsensical direction

The Rebuilds are a meta textual commentary on Evangelion as a franchise. Try examining Mari from that perspective.

Rei>Mari>Asuka

Attached: 1618349825005.png (726x1061, 661.36K)

>this is what would've happened if an adult pilot with big boobs and cringy one-liners was around to unfuck the mental states of the child soldiers trying to save the world
yeah I get it but it's jarring from an inter(?)narrative perspective. you're not a 60's french communist trying to hit on art hoes with impenetrable prose, your stories should make sense at face value.

Isn't the manga its own thing entirely? Why did it include a donutsteel from the rebuilds?

They tried way too hard to make the character likeable. Which only made fans hate her more. Since it is such a contrast to the other characters. Plus, she was a mary sue, right off the bat.

also, doesn't this make mari a pedo?

Not metatextual enough. Rebuild is about the phenomenon of Evangelion, not the show Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I'm afraid you're gonna have to explain. I mean, you're clearly itching to, so I'm listening.

Well that would spoil what makes Rebuild so interesting, and I’m not going to write a whole essay. I’ll say that Mari is supposed to be a bit of a “fuck you” to Evangelion/anime fans in general.

>Well that would spoil what makes Rebuild so interesting,
I just watched the movies, there is nothing more to spoil. Clearly a genius like you can elucidate it for us unwashed masses who will otherwise never be able to share in your enjoyment.

>uhhh fuck the characters and plot are mangled garbage
>better claim the long standing ineptitude is all ~meta~ ooooo so smart yes

Attached: 71964103_p10.jpg (590x354, 96.37K)

well, I'm not that user, but it's really not that hard to spot the meta narrative even if you're not trying too hard
>mari shows up
>every time the story is about to go too far up its own ass due to characters sulking she saves them and redirects the plot towards a more definite conclusion
>in the end as the world literally implodes revealing film sets and shinji (anno) gives all the characters their send offs, she pulls him out into the real world (footage of anno's home town) as a grown ass man now
basically, my zero effort reading of this is how this whole thing is anno washing his hands of the franchise and mari represents his wife (or anything else) that made him outgrow this angsty edgefest of a show

I didn’t mean to grandstand. I thought it was interesting to look at Rebuild from a perspective other than “is this movie good?”. Mari is absolutely a Mary Sue, and she’s supposed to be.

>shitty cardboard cutout derails character development and never interacts with anyone beyond a small handful of seconds long scenes
Anno could have just not made them. It was over. Some trite point about "growing up and moving on" cobbled together at the end with no build up because he and his ardent defenders are insecure about liking nerdy shit doesn't make the Rebuilds smart.

Attached: 1615449554455.jpg (400x400, 107.61K)

You make all these grandiose claims and allude to having some kind of extremely interesting case for them, but then don't actually state that case. I will go ahead and assume this is metanarrative bait where the setup is my expectation of there being an explanation and the punchline is that there is none, it's just stupid and doesn't make sense on any level.

I enjoyed making the connections myself, and I wanted you to maybe do the same. Rebuild can be simply summed up as “weeb, it’s a tv show! Go outside and grow up!” Mari is all of the things you thought about her in OP

>claim thing
>the proofs are secret
lol ok concession accepted.

It makes perfect sense. Moyoco is that mangaka who makes SOUL for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with extras.
Anno was done with humanity when he made EVA and EoE. Thinking everyone (save his gay bro Ikuhara) was an insane retard and looking deeply at why he couldn't just have a normal life with people. He craved for someone that could understand him and live a simple artsy life with him.
Those two works are about the resolution of his own dilemmas. But as EoE'S concludes, in the end he's still the one making the move in a somber, difficult, and unwelcoming world. At that point his wife hadn't fallen into his arms yet. But that's different in the Rebuilds.
By introducing Mari, he introduces that adult in a cast of misguided kids. He introduces an anchor for Evangelion into the world of reason, devoid of unnecessary angst and melodrama. A world where one can feel at home at long last. It makes for Rebuild Shinji absolutely no sense to reject the world of adults and return to the dark, conflicted, lost times of Rei or Asuka. Mari was pretty much the fated love interest even before EVA was a thing.
Shinji marrying Mari in the new world is the logical conclusion of that vision.