What's the point in having a TLer AND a proof-reader?

What's the point in having a TLer AND a proof-reader?

Attached: file.png (605x460, 134.15K)

IMO the translator still comes off like they are still speaking Engrish in 2022. Which is sad

That's my point, why not just have the proofreader do the TLing?

Proofreading your own shit never works out well.

I guess that makes sense.

Have you seen some of the garbage ESL translations out there? There should be more of these positions if anything.

It's always good to have a second set of eyes go over something in case you missed something.

OP confidently cuts his own hair before a date without asking a friend if he fucked up the back

While we're at it, why not just have the redrawer do the TS as well?

Because otherwise you end up with a load of really retarded mistakes. Which is almost certainly why official subs get dumb shit like translating "mother" as "father".
I can only assume you have never done anything at all, otherwise you would be aware of this.

Even if the writing is originally in English you want a proofreader, user, just to make sure it reads naturally and you don't miss any issues.

There's a few translators who are good (enough) at the actual translating part, but have English as their second or third language and need someone to fix their your/you're mistakes.
I helped one of them with a very niche series some years ago. So niche that there was no chance he would've been able to find another person who knew Japanese to help.

>his team is big enough to have a proofreader
I proofread when I TS......

I see lots of translated stuff with 3 or more proofreaders but still have shitty easy to spot mistakes. I’ve seen words not spaced, words missing (thankfully nothing too complex that I couldn’t just fill in the words), improper use of commas, using a contraction then using the word it contracts anyway for example “it’s is”, and quotation marks not closed. Sometimes I feel like just becoming a proofreader myself and fixing all the bullshit. Although I’ve seen the argument that the original Japanese content doesn’t have the right words to convey what the writer wanted and that begs the question, should editors/proofreaders keep it as close to the original Japanese novel or change things to make sense to an English reader? I’ve seen this question before on here but no one really gave an answer.

>no one really gave an answer.
I don't believe you.
I think that you got lots of answers. What you didn't get was a consensus.

If you see both PR and QC in the credits, or if you see a name listed multiple times in the credits, it means that they are just the TL's Discord buddies and he puts them on there so they'll keep sucking his cock. In fact, if you see a credits page at all, this is the case to some degree or another. Non-attention whores don't waste time making those.

It's clear that none of you have actually worked on a single scan project. Proofreaders are absolutely needed, because translators are fucking terrible at portraying nuances and having proper English grammar. In fact, sometimes it's even worse because they're both JSL and ESL. In that case, I'd argue an English-only fag using DeepL would be better and more accurate. The ONLY time where proofreaders aren't needed, is when the translator is an English native and knows Japanese to a near-native level as well.

>MTLfag accusing others of not knowing how to scanlate properly
>thinks good TLs don't need PRs because knowing a language makes you immune to making mistakes
You're a fucking retard.

What's the difference between proofreading and quality checking

Not sure where you got the whole MTLfag thing from, I only TS.

Nobody is immune to making mistakes, but I trust native English speakers to do a better job translating than ESLs.

Notice how I said "aren't needed" instead of "aren't preferred"? Now go kys, you've wasted enough of my time.

QC checks art errors, too, whereas a proofreader just checks dialogue, I'd wager

Theoretically, QC makes sure the TS/RD/etc. are all good as well as the text. In practice, it's usually just that the PR checks the un-TS script and QC is whoever looked at it last before it got uploaded.

TLer is JNS, proofreader is ENS. That simple.