Studio Ghibli thread

What are your favourite Ghibli films? Who are your favourite characters? What do you like the most about these movies?

Attached: Sophie Tram Howl's Moving Castle.webm (820x436, 2.81M)

I watched the dub of the cat returns after watching whisper of the heart subbed.
It was really fun and I think its probably one of my favorites. It didn't really feel as dramatic or profound as the other ones, but the tone was really unique. It probably got the most genuine laughs out of me of all the ghibli movies.
I liked anne hathaways voice more than the sub's voice because it felt less generic

Attached: moota.jpg (970x545, 155.53K)

I still haven't seen this. Is the cat supposed to be the baron from Whisper of the Heart?

Attached: Whisper of the Heart.webm (822x434, 2.98M)

Ponyo. That is all.

yeah, I think in concept its supposed to be a finished version of the girl's novel, which is why moon & baron show up. Reading into it its real life history, afaik it was actually supposed to be a really short movie shown at a theme park somewhere, but that fell through and they expanded it to a whole story later on.
I recommend it, its really short too so if you hate it at least youre not at too much of a loss

funee captcha

Attached: getwhored.png (346x117, 12.8K)

My favourites if I had to really narrow it down are Totoro and The Wind Rises, with my favourite character being Jiro from the latter of those.

it was cool hearing anno's voice and I think the performance was really cool, but imo he sounded way too old to be jiro in some scenes

Attached: bravoanno.jpg (1920x1080, 157.09K)

Why have they stopped producing anything of worth in a decade? Kaguya's budget bled them dry?

Yeah as I understand it his performance was a bit polarizing. I really liked it, and I think that it being Anno also adds something to the movie. It's about airplanes, yeah, but more generally it's about art and artists in general. I can't help but choke up when he says his "arigatou... arigatou" line in the final dream scene of the movie

animated movies in general have been iffy for a bit I think.
Nothing has really hit the levels of peak disney, peak pixar, or peak ghibli for a while.

I like Ponyo the most. My favorite character is Sosuke and Ponyo. I like how endearing character relations is in these movies. I have my bias because I love ramen with ham and sea creatures a whole lot, growing up and to this day

Attached: fishtank_wide-b3697da90a8d3726cf8cc1aac9061dd6f09c129d.jpg (1000x563, 159.88K)

yeah, the emotional parts definitely got to me

I love the background art of this movie, like a children's book come to life

Attached: 1653324760468.jpg (1280x1390, 608.19K)

Also I really like how the father is a fisherman because my very own father was one. The whole breadwinner working, but the "kids know he loves them thing" is something only a handful of shows have managed to pull properly.

The first one I ever saw was Princess Mononoke and that's still my favorite, but I love them all. Even the ones others don't rate as highly like Cat Returns, they're all good.

Ironically, the one most people rate as the best, Spirited Away, is one of my least favorite, but again, I still think it's great.

And if my favorite wasn't Mononoke, it would have to be Porco Rosso.

Attached: PorcoRosso1.jpg (1400x1050, 173.57K)

Nausicaa for aesthetic, mononoke for story, ocean waves for atmosphere

My top three movies are Laputa, Nausicaa and Wind Rises. What do i like about them? I guess there is a type ofmelancholic feel that only Miyazaki can really portray

Nausicaa's aesthetic is great, love the design of the jungle and the bugs

Goro pumped out a bunch of shitty movies
Otherwise Hayao is taking his sweet time making how do you live. His age slowed down his output significantly according to some interviews.

I liked from up on poppy hill
the ending was kind of anticlimactic though

Attached: poppyhill_hires1_wide-f23d8865fffb261ac10394ccad8a5e2a22b81b4a.jpg (2061x1159, 1.82M)

I've never watched Ponyo due to hearing from others that it doesn't really have a plot or go anywhere, but this looks really comfy.

It has a very loose and whimsical plot. You should still watch it for the mesmerising animation. It has the best animation in the entire ghibli catalogue.

I like to share this quote from Mamoru Oshii on the movie:
>That movie doesn’t have any theme and structure. It is just the result from Miya-san’s delusion. There is no inevitability in the story development. […] Audiences never accept a story that does not show any rationality. Still, every single scene was interesting. The first 10 minutes are amazing. That jellyfish scene is really fantastic. The reason why we can somehow watch the movie till the end is just because of its excellent expressiveness during every single scene.
It's quite critical but I also feel it well represents the good sides of the movie.

I don't think he's being critical since Oshii himself directed Angel's Egg in the past, which had a grand total of ~10 minutes worth of dialogue and an unresolved "interpret it yourself" story. He's talking from his experience with the reception for that film.