Titles aimed at female audiences over-perform due to unmet demand from low supply

>Crunchyroll held a business seminar on Tuesday aimed at Japanese businesses. Part of the presentation centered on explaining current consumer trends in the west based on the service's viewership numbers. Chief Customer Officer Asa Suehira explained that while shonen battle anime and "isekai" fantasy series continue to dominate, anime aimed at a female audience have strong growth potential. He stated that these titles tend to over-perform due to unmet demand from low supply, citing Fruits Basket as an example.

"In the west, where female anime fans were underserved with relevant content historically, shojo, josei, and even some BL titles are showing stronger performances than expected," he said. Fans of idol anime shouldn't get their hopes up, however, as female-targeted idol anime were singled out as the exception to this trend.

Nevertheless, Crunchyroll's data indicates that tastes among anime fans are becoming more varied, although Suehira did note that it can be harder to predict which of those titles will become hits. He also remarked that well-produced romantic comedies aimed at male audiences, such as My Dress-Up Darling, have also been on the rise in recent years, with such titles even cracking the top 5 in a given season.

Attached: EnipBiMXUAYHhcd.jpg (563x750, 178.84K)

honestly most of the series aimed at women are actually pretty enjoyable, either because they're an actual good story like Fruits Basket or just as a change of pace from the usual schlock.

>Male idolshit underperforms
Well there's gacha for that.
>Crunchyroll's data indicates that tastes among anime fans are becoming more varied
>becoming more varied
I have to be honest, I'm seeing less shoujo shit compared to say the 2010s. Bit slow on their part.

I suspect that's because the writers actually care about their stories being good, hence why they're going against the current trend to tell it, whereas battle anime and isekai is largely just writers shitting out what's popular to make a quick buck. As women focused series become more popular, those same writers will shift and quality will nosedive into the equivalent of romance dime novel.

>I'm seeing less shoujo shit compared to say the 2010s.
On the other side, more female targeted anime that are the genderswap equivalent of CGDCT and action girl flicks are on the rise, the majority of which are either gacha ads, tie-ins to musical projects or (sometimes) originals.

That's only in the West though. Shoujo and male idolshit are always at the bottom in streaming rankings.

Women in JP and asian countries watch battle shonen or spokons.

I kind of agree that shoujo stuff may get a pretty large audience due to oversaturation of battle shonen but I think it's wrong to say that the west were "underserved" with them. There's always been a decent amount of licensed shoujo manga (probably not as much josei though). I think there just wasn't enough advertisement of them or for shoujo manga in general. Not to mention the comparative lack of anime adaptations of shoujo manga. Either in general or that were licensed.

I haven't tried the new Fruits Basket, but back when I read the manga I remember it being pretty awful and stereotypical.

OP you faggot post the source

Some people just get really turned off by drama. It doesn't bother me but if you don't like drama for some reason then yeah you're probably not going to like Fruits Basket. I don't know what you mean by stereotypical though. It does play into shoujo tropes I suppose. It wasn't the originator of tropes but it's still before a lot of manga that most people (especially on Any Forums) would point to. It's one of the best shoujo manga I've read though and I've read a decent amount. And I think the newest anime is a great adaptation from what I've seen of it.

Attached: FruitsBasketUo.png (1769x1814, 3.23M)

>meanwhile, only me and 3 other anons watched this

Attached: thinken bout bioretta evergarden.jpg (1920x1080, 238.05K)

>Women in JP and asian countries watch battle shonen or spokons.
That, and live action adaptions. There are far more live action adaptions of shoujo/josei manga than anime these days, by a long shot.

There is just a lack of scanlators for shoujo manga in general and most scanlators these days are machine translators translating isekai manga while ignoring shoujo manga.

>the newest anime is a great adaptation from what I've seen of it.
the final part is kinda rushed, the "cigarette" censorship was annoying, but overall is a good adaption

Attached: smoke.jpg (640x480, 34.8K)

Some villainess manga are serialized in shoujo mags but most are josei targeted.

>among anime fans are becoming more varied
bullshit, it's the same garbage every season. if you can't "predict" what's going to become a hit you should retire, because it's obvious a year before the shows even air

>There is just a lack of scanlators for shoujo manga
this!!! Ashi Girl deserves more love.

Attached: ASHI GIRL.jpg (763x1200, 230.14K)

post Shoujo/JOUSEI THAT NEED TRANSLATIONS

I barely keep up with new anime or manga but when this villainess trend started I got curious and checked summaries of the popular ones. It's all just a bunch of crappy Angelique parodies made by people who never played or even heard of Angelique. Literally the equivalent of someone drawing or writing an isekai that parodies Dragon Quest or .hack// because they're following a trend without even having heard about these games before.

So?

There's a few I was going to read only to find out they were only partially translated. The two I want most are
>M to N no Shouzou
>Nurse Angel Ririka (not sure if the anime is a full adaptation or not but I've seen a lot of shoujo anime adaptations have issues)

Attached: 51QKYkBsgQL[1].jpg (318x500, 45.05K)