Is it ethical to watch anime and read manga via online free services...

Is it ethical to watch anime and read manga via online free services? Now that I think about it I feel kind of bad because the people who produce this content slave over their work. Do they even generate revenue?

Attached: behelit.jpg (1435x1080, 203.2K)

Who gives a fuck.

I do.

buy it then you dingus

just wire twenty bucks straight to the creator.

ethics are a concept for the retarded masses
just do whatever benefits you most

If you live with this mindset you'll inevitably harm others around you in one way or another.

i watch the stuff and if i like it i buy the dvd, sometimes some merch
same as games, i steal it then decide whether it's worth the pricetag

>via online free services
>>>streaming
fuck off

That's life. You can't avoid hurting someone intentionally or not 100% of the time, even if you're jesus. Deal with it.

>just [do the same thing the masses do]

Attached: spoon.jpg (728x455, 88.74K)

Based

Yes, after the shit Sony is pulling after purchasing Crunchyroll and doing away with the ad-based service. Fuck em. They had a model that worked for anyone with an internet connection. Now they are requiring a paid subscription, which is an additional expense.

Fuck em, hello 2015 with my fansub torrents.

Making a conscious effort to contribute to, elevate, and help other people is 100% more fulfilling than stepping on them to get what you want, in fact, it's an even greater strength because in turn people will be there for you. It's a two way streak.

Is it ethical for one corporation to own the rights to distribution of most popular anime?

From my understanding, most studios receive their payment for a work at the beginning from the production committee. Even the license holders don't get the full value you're paying into a streaming site, since any service you pay for will have its middlemen taking their cut. If you like a series enough you think they should get your money, buy a Japanese BD, mostly to make other license holders think that studio is worth putting money into.

Attached: 1477609226196.png (273x537, 16.32K)

No they don't, but what's your alternative? Learn japanese and buy them properly?
You're either willing to do that, or you were never going to be a potential customer anyways.

>You make one piece of artwork
>You sell it for profit
>It gets shared across the internet
>You don't make a cent from that, but you still made your money
>You get famous from it, so anything else you make will make you lots of more money
>You are still too greedy anyways and still hunt for the people making money from your previous work

What gets me is that it's somehow unethical to for someone to consume such work from others, instead of your own selfish greed. You get paid for something once, you get famous for it, but instead of being happy that this is the case you are being "harmed". Piracy harms no one.

If its good I end up buying every volume anyway. That said "morally justified"? Call it for what it is. You want to be entertained for free and thats the beginning and end of it. If you like the work enough buy it if not don't. No one cares.

You could argue that recent stuff should be paid for legitimately so that that the people who worked on it get compensation and recognition for their work. For older stuff where the people who actually worked on it are long gone just pirate, outside of the handful of properties where the creator maintained firm control over it, any money you throw toward it will probably go to some faceless middlemen squatting on the IP.

basically just do what does. It lets you keep your money free for stuff that actually deserves your money, and encourages you to try different shows since there's no cost of entry but your time.

Attached: 1631343349543.jpg (540x402, 18.72K)

It depends. I don't feel bad pirating Kimetsu no yaiba or really any manga / anime that's significantly popular. Overseas royalties from streaming sites and oversea translations aren't usually that high anyways for the OG creators, most of it goes to the corporations that run them ( i.e. most of mugen's sales didn't even go to ufotable- the studio that made- it went to distributors )

But I do feel guilty for when it's something I actually like and I know it's an independent mangaka. In which case, I buy the hard copy.
Anime, I'd have to buy the studio march itself/ DVD/bds, and those usually are too costly imo plus I don't watch them often either.
Tldr: buy manga and merch/ dvdbds from Japan if you want to support the actual people who make what you like. Crunchy roll and Viz in comparison isn't giving them much compared to their domestic sales.