Accepted anime facts in the public consciousness that just aren't true

I'll start
-For some reason, people think Cowboy Bebop flopped when it ran in Japan and that it was only popular in the West. Not only is this not true (It sold an initial average of 20k which is extremely impressive even now, let alone back then), it got that movie off its success. Anime-originals don't get their own movies like that. It's likely this is because Bebop is associated with The Big O and Trigun in the West as shows that actually weren't as popular in Japan. This got conflated with how Bebop initially got pulled from its original airing network for violence but aired on satellite channels later.

-The Ghost Stories dub, while funny for its time, had no reason to be dubbed like that. It's widely believed that it flopped in Japan but it really fucking didn't. There's a whole article about it
slashfilm.com/703353/why-everyone-thinks-the-cult-classic-anime-ghost-stories-bombed-in-japan-when-it-didnt/
But people just believed ADV Studios' claims at the time that it was a flop that could only be saved by having the dub it did.

-As far as I know, there is no recorded evidence of anybody in Japan saying they liked the dub of Code Geass more than the original

-For some reaosn people associate the entirety of Sailor Moon to Kunihiko Ikuhara. This is completely untrue, though I can see why this would be considered true as he did direct the majority of it with R, S and SuperS. However, the original series and Sailor Stars had two different directors.

Attached: 71RHDP8Qz5L._SL1075_.jpg (762x1075, 197.98K)

Nobody believes any of that shit anymore, those are just old Any Forums memes.

Some of this stuff I still see people say. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that the Japanese like gayass's dub more than the original though. That sounds like bullshit and only a retard would believe it.

The whole thing with Hideaki Anno and KareKano

Did Ghost Stories really deserve a proper dub?

It didn't deserve any dub at all. Not because of how good or bad the show is, but because dubs are shit and unneeded.

Ghost Stories dub is better than the sub.
Facts.

The Cowboy Bebop thing people definitely still say especially during the Netflix thing.

It did in Latin America, burgers are just mentally retarded

They (rightly) assumed no one would care about it in the west so they decided to do a joke dub.

>-As far as I know, there is no recorded evidence of anybody in Japan saying they liked the dub of Code Geass more than the original
I remember EXACTLY how this one came about. When the dub trailer first aired, the was a thread about it on 2ch (or possibly Fubata). The reaction was generally positive, with a few people commenting that one of the characters sounded "less forced" than they did in Japan (I'm almost certain they were talking about Suzaku specifically, but it might been Lelouch). That turned into "there are people in Japan who think Suzaku sounds better in English", then "Japanese people like the English voice acting better", then finally "Japanese people prefer the English dub".

It wouldn't have hurt, but it wasn't the property the localisers wanted to work with. It came as part of a package deal with a series they actually wanted, so Ghost Stories became this "fucking uhhhh do whatever" show

The Cowboy Bebop thing is because it was shown on late night TV in America in the late 90s and early 00s, and was a lot of people's first experience with anime that wasn't kiddie shit. In Japan it's just a great anime from the 90s while here it's held up as the crème de la crème, which led to the misinterpretation that Japan didn't like it.

i really hate the faggo director who did the ghost story dub he doesn't even like anime and was a failed writer and did the shit unfunny dub for shits and giggle

>Accepted anime facts in the public consciousness that just aren't true
For some reason, people think new anime is good. In fact, new anime is bad. Only old anime is good.

That Hayashida Q was Nihei's assistant. Literally zero evidence of this anywhere.

That whenever there's a spike of bad or janky animation in a show people blame it on the budget. The budget is important but usually decides the scope of the series and overall standard of animation, when there's off model characters or shitty animation that's because of production issues, usually time constraints where they don't have time to get the cut to the animation director to fix so they just have to ship it as is.

mauritian detected opinion rejected

le anime was a mistake meme from miyazaki will never not be tired and unfunny

This and also "go outside" from anno

Even though people now use it ironically, some mainstream media sites still believe demographics are genres in Japanese media. And Shounen is used as a synonym of the action/fighting genre/subgenre, Shoujo as Drama/Romance, and Seinen is the equivalent of Drama/Tragedy. Curiously enough, Gekiga, a style of dramatic images used in old manga, is sometimes interpreted well for what it is even though the term is more ambiguous than the demographics previously mentioned.

Also that Hara had Araki and Miura as his assistants. While Araki is even older than him, I bet!

Another curious one is that Toriyama wanted to end Dragon Ball manga after X arc. None of these statements matter much given Toriyama's decision would be overruled first by the publisher, given it was the greatest manga at the time it was running.

Eh... I don't know. I feel it would have been totally forgotten if it had received a normal dub. It's not bad, but it is really mediocre. Just kind of a generic kid horror show with mediocre at best animation.

One of my extremely normalfag friends found ghost stories this year and would not shut up about that "fact"