Was One Piece better when Luffy was an underdog?

Was One Piece better when Luffy was an underdog?

Attached: 1439674538298.png (640x480, 285.72K)

What's the point of this question?
Was Bleach better when Ichigo was a ninja?
We can never know because it's a complete hypothetical.

How is it a hypothetical? He's literally from the weakest and most laughable sea

Yes it was better, but Oda sometimes abused that trope so much by having Luffy defeated multiple times in one arc yet villains never make sure he is dead.
History revisionism is not welcomed.

Is this the closest Luffy has actually been to dying? This was practically checkmate and he was only saved due to a random bolt of lightning.

Sort of. East Blue still had him punching out a lot of dudes. When he first got to the grand line I liked that he was exploiting his baddies weaknesses (would have been better if he busted down Croco with the water gun). His powerset was starting to get stale though and the Rob Lucci fight was kino, so I'm not mad at Gear 2nd or Gear 3rd. You can't have a story this long and keep trying to make the threats more severe without powering up the main character. Oda could pull an HxH and make him lose his power-up somehow though. Blackbeard could steal aspects of his fruit or some other wacky bullshit. Kind of wish we got the shit Doflamingo was doing and Luffy got a move that made the environment into a bouncy castle instead though.
Retard. If he'd asked "would One Piece have stayed better..." instead THAT would have been a hypothetical.

Attached: 014 - i31ElOE.jpg (2252x1626, 600.62K)

In One Piece - Deep Blue, is already confirmed zoan

Attached: One piece luffy itu gak asspull.jpg (720x1280, 101.94K)

no it was better when luffy was an overdog compared to now. the sheer fact they spent all of east blue hyping up how deadly the grand line is just to have him not meeting a challange until he met croc who he still beat then after that he didnt meet a single challange until lucci.

You can't be an underdog forever.

>random
>daddy's in the area
fucking speedreaders/bait posters

IndogCHADS we have fucking won

I can't read this

Okay, maybe I'm a little bit retarded, but still. Has Luffy gotten checkmated that hard since?

Luffy was never the under dog he's a dark horse

I used to think it was a random lightning bolt too

Yes

Luffy has been ganging up on villains since Doflamingo and nothing really comes of it. Luffy let Law lose an arm when he could have went Gear 4 the entire time.

Shut up retard he couldn't be an underdog forever

Yeah and so are other powerful characters. The seas being weak isn't meant to make Luffy appear weak since he's the strongest character in East Blue from the start. There would be no challenge if it wasn't the weakest sea.

>revisionism
What kind of speedreading does it take to consider Luffy an underdog?

And yet he insists on losing battles he could easily win, like the one in Chapter 923

>U A SPEADREEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every time

>Yeah and so are other powerful characters.
The story isn't a coming of age story about Monkey D. Dragon. He is, like Luffy, someone who came from the East Blue and rose up. The lack of challenge in the East Blue also means you don't have to be ridiculously strong to compete with the other pirates.
>he's the strongest character in East Blue
His strength doesn't mean anything if he doesn't luck into finding the right people to help him accomplish his goals, which aren't btfoing anyone in the East Blue. He wants to find the One Piece. He was an underdog, not many people knew he existed; he just bursts onto the scene and starts causing trouble. I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics could make him not one.