How do I start the Devilman series?

How do I start the Devilman series?
Apparently I need to watch the 1972 anime first, but that looks terrible. Any ideas?

Attached: image0.png (230x345, 120.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWczh2fxPk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1972 anime has very little to do with the manga and was produced at the same time.
You read the original Manga by Go Nagai from chapter 1, then you can watch whatever adaptation or sequel you want, they range vastly in quality.

thanks user
Should I watch the crybaby one? Is it worth it?

>Old anime bad.

Attached: Devilman.jpg (1440x480, 286.62K)

Yup

you'd think a literal demon would have nicer titties

watch the manga and the ovas

Reading the manga was a surreal experience for me as it managed to age poorly in some parts and well within others at the same time. The art is very well worth it alone.
Crybaby was a brilliant modernization of the source material, leaving out some questionable parts while expanding on characters that could give cardboard cutouts a run for their money.
Still have to watch some of the older adaptations.

WHERE ARE YOU RUNNING TO, ADOLF??!!

ADOLF HITLER!!!!!

You don't watch Devilman, you read it.
1972 has nothing to do with the manga but it's fun. OVAs are great but left unfinished, the purest adaption. The Amon movie is good, i like the style, but it's a spin off and by the end i didn't really amount to anything substantial. Crybaby will give you a very neutered version of the original manga in all aspects. Main character is a good guy who gets horny after getting demon powers, in the manga he struggled to even be the good guy because he had a bloodthirsty demon inside him. Ryo was a fucking bro and by far the most likeable character in the manga, in the anime he's a generic calculating asshole that does the Shinji dad pose. You actually felt sorry for him for having to deal with Devilman being such a douche, he even slaps him in the face once lol. In Crybaby Akira is a naive fool for being his friend. Miki is worse. Akira's parents and Jinmen are worse. The ending is worse.
tldr manga is the way to go. It's great, it's a manga that will stay with me until I die. You can finish it in an afternoon.

Attached: images (16).jpg (444x690, 52.39K)

read the OG devilman run
watch crybaby
you are then done, rest is cheap cashgrab.
just read mazinger z and getter robo if you want more

>Ryo was a fucking bro and by far the most likeable character in the manga
Ryo was a very obvious manipulating asshole from the very beginning of the manga, you have to be a very particular type of person to feel that way about him.

Watch crybaby

>a very particular type of person
go nagai?

Can I just watch crybaby?

I liked Crybaby. It takes some creative liberties but it's literally the only adaptation that tells the full story from start to finish.

Dude NO. Do not watch the 1972 version, it's actually it's own thing, it's Devilman but for kids with differents elements.

You have to read the original manga (it's actually pretty short like most Nagai stuff) or before reading it maybe it's a good idea to watch the first two OVAS for a pretty good. Original Devilman was finished in OVAs, the third one is nice to watch but different because it's for the spin-off called Amon and inferior to the former ones despite of having cool aesthetic.

So read the original manga and watch the two ovas from the 80s who are good adaptations of the manga, watch the third one if you wants.

Then after it you can read Devilman Lady which is a sequel of the original manga and improve a lot of things, you can also read Demon Lord Dante which is the prototype of Devilman and remains unfinished by Go Nagai.

From this base you can enter the incredible universe of Go Nagai full of surprises.

Attached: 1588372571250.jpg (1272x2056, 1.54M)

Here for exemple you have the introduction of the first OVA: m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWczh2fxPk

It's kino, watch it and his sequel like I said, in the manga they stop at the Sirene arc.

also the OVA dubs are fucking hilarious get them in dual audio so you can rewatch it in english and laugh your ass off.

yeah you can. Crybaby was my first exposure to it. I liked the manga more and the OVA has a better artstyle, but Crybaby handles its emotional moments very well, has a fantastic soundtrack, and is the only animated adaptation to actually finish the story.

So much this. Nothing from devilman franchise comes even remotely close to the original manga and crybaby.

Of course. It's not a sequel or anything, it's a modern retelling of the original.

>Nothing from devilman franchise comes even remotely close to the original manga and crybaby.
Lol you never read the sequels Nagai has made, Devilman Lady (the manga, not the anime which is different) improve shitons of things in the Devilman universe. You have also Devilman Saga who follow it.

And the two first OVAs have an excellent animation and are good adaptations, all the manga was unfortunately not adapted but they are worth watching.

Another cool series made by Nagai related to Devilman is Violence Jack. Devilman characters and Devilman itself not appears in the few ovas but the end of the manga is pretty epic.