When did pretentious start being used to criticize anime? Shows like Eva...

When did pretentious start being used to criticize anime? Shows like Eva, Lain and Ergo Proxy get labled pretentious but I can't seem to find anything pretentious about them. Though the thing that makes them seem that are the people talking about them. You know the ones that make essays using complicated words coming of as pseudo intellectual fags. I hate those with a passion.

Attached: Crusher Joe OVA 01.mkv-00.05.22.155.png (1440x1080, 2.68M)

When normies watched shit like Tokyo Ghoul or Madoka and started writing essays about the symbolism in the shows, even thought it was random imagery that looked cool and had no deeper meaning behind it. But then we went to the point that even anime that had some actual depth were labeled pretentious. The average fag can't tell if the text in front of him has meaning and explores the themes of the show or it's just random bullshit forced in your throat to make the show look cool. So they call everything pretentious and call it a day.

I think the issue here isn't the people writing these essays but others taking it at face value spreading it futher until it's established as "fact"

>normies
Tourist

>The average fag can't tell if the text in front of him has meaning and explores the themes of the show or it's just random bullshit forced in your throat to make the show look cool
So... eva?

Eva had depth. Not the religious symbolism that most of its fans thought though.

>Though the thing that makes them seem that are the people talking about them.
This.

>Astro boy
all that "what it means to be human" shit got old

Ergo Proxy in particular is fairly labeled pretentious.

The modern anime industry has nothing to say and no traditional understanding of drama, so when they try to make something interesting, they often dress it up by making it convoluted, flashy or gloomy. But it comes out as meaningless or poorly executed if you've seen actually well-crafted stuff. They can still be good, but never masterpieces.

This. The VAST majority of modern anime has nothing to say.

In the 00's, there was a rise of srs buisness artfags that wrote dissertations about anime and "pretentious" was a rebellion against that. The problem is the word is now so overused it now means "anything I don't like that isn't brainless"

I dont like calling anything pretentious really. Most of the people who call shit pretentious are just losers with no depth themselves, so they see everything as not having meaning and call it pretentious. The reality of the situation is that all things are pretentious to someone, and all things actually DO have meaning. Art as a whole is 'pretentious' and there is depth to be found in anything and everything

I've never seen a single person who was a fan of Eva praise it for it's religious symbolism

Attached: 1638928032774.png (640x1124, 1.08M)

They're called pretentious due to their associations with fags like FP.

best take people cant have their own ideas

All Gainax titles are pretentious though.

Probably when smartphones became a thing

people on the internet just say the word pretentious now because they think it's a criticism in itself, not opening the door to one

>ask them how it's pretentious
>they literally never respond

really? that stuff is a huge part of its original popularity, the mystery of what the story really meant

That's literally the only reason I care about it. Its religious angle is also a prehistory/origin of man angle and a social commentary on conspiracies, NGOs, and the NWO.
>captcha slider broke when I said that
Thanks faggot spooks.

>we all thought there was going to be some huge revelation eventually that tied together and explained everything in the eva universe
>instead, Anno: "DID YOU RIKE IT?"
>Anno does a 2 foot line of ketamine and bath salts, writes 3rd movie