Utena

No moment in anime or manga has given me the same feeling I had while watching the Elevator confessions.

Attached: elevator scene.png (1281x964, 1.36M)

Utena had a lot of good direction decisions in it, and a lot of the reoccurring moments get to me

Attached: deep symbolism.jpg (752x949, 289.29K)

The black rose saga had a great atmosphere

How the FUCK did Saionji know this?

Attached: Saionji mirage.png (1432x1080, 1.74M)

Why DID he seem to have a better understanding than everyone else?

>"we must crack out of our shell or else we'll die" metaphor of the student council
>the entire Nanami's Egg episode
>Saionji absolutely feasting on eggs when he's homeless
he's just on a different level entirely

Attached: Saionji jesus.gif (500x333, 569.37K)

It had a great atmosphere, and while I think I get the messages of Utena in general, I still don't really understand the back rose arc.

Like the Mikage and burning building stuff or just the general idea of duelists drawing power from others?

>the general idea of duelists drawing power from others
Well, that was pretty straightforward. I guess the best way to put it would be that I didn't see the point of it. I felt there was an overacting message, but it slipped by me. It was probably something to be said from the burning building; I can make some conjectures as to what it was saying, but it seemed so disconnected from the real story overall, that I still don't understand the purpose and meaning it added to the story. It probably doesn't help that I was drinking just a little bit during the Black Rose arc, but I was entirely sober for the remainder of the other parts. Perhaps I should rewatch it; I feel all the Utena "scholars" have watched it several times, while I've only watched it once.

It was Anthy's suicide attempt.
A feeble attempt to escape the crucifixion prison she had made for herself.
She used Nemuro and everyone else to facilitate that deathwish... But then Utena gave her hope by the end.
Which led into the final arc.

There's a lot of "why am i watching this fucking filler" feeling in anime

Utena is built for big akio cock

This shit wrecks me every time.

Attached: robot.jpg (720x2699, 250.92K)

I've only watched it once but IIRC its the arc where Utena starts acting like a huge narcissistic tool thats jealously possessive of Anthy like every other Prince, and Anthy decided "Well if not even the dyke route is immune to shitty boyfriend disorder then I might as well just die", but Utena realized in time that proving she was better than these shitty men by doing everything they did but moreso was just bringing herself down to their level, so she did the one thing none of them had the cahones to do and actually trusted Anthy enough to put her life in her hands no strings attached the way all of Anthy's prince's including Utena herself demanded from Anthy without even considering her feelings on it.
The overarching point being that defying gender roles by doing the exact opposite on them is still just reinforcing gender roles and all the bad relationship stuff that comes about from them. To use modern terms, that the key to a true feminist revolution that liberates everyone from strict gender norms not just making yourself into an exploitative gaslight gatekeep girlboss and kicking the ladder out behind you every societal tier you climb up to. You gotta be better than that

"Gender norms" are a natural and positive thing.

Did Anthy really have that much contact with him? Present or past? Maybe I don't remember the arc well.

Watch the wakaba black rose episodes.

First of all the boy getting rejected is a great reversal of the other confessions.

Wakaba wears vindictive crazy very well.

But best of all both episodes use the exact same saxophone gimmick at their endings.

One is played for laughs, the other is played for drama. Just brilliant.

Few episodes of anything have emotionally punched me in the gut harder than Azure Paler Than the Sky.

Attached: B8F7C5B7-5246-4EF3-A9D4-8F8F717E315E.jpg (500x375, 42.61K)

ANJ reference... Ikuni... I laughed

Attached: boxer.png (1336x1032, 1.69M)

He's unironically, legitimately the most pure and innocent character on the council, which lets him off the hook in a number of ways. In other words,
>based retard

The dueling arena kind of plays by holodeck rules. Everything may be a projection, but it functions as effectively real.

The only part of the dueling arena that is almost certainly real is the power of Dios. Utena summons it almost every time and every time she is granted the power of the prince to defeat her opponent.