7ft tall

>7ft tall
>300+ lbs
>Fast as fuck
>Skilled fighter
>One of the main characters

Remember when big guys weren't just background characters and complete jobbers?
What changed?

Attached: Raoh- Hokuto.png (836x592, 994.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mmrpQQv9TLM
youtube.com/watch?v=sU3kz2BvnSs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Catering to Fujos too much. Thread finished.

Standards of physical aesthetics

You forgot:
>became the villain for the good of the world
youtube.com/watch?v=mmrpQQv9TLM
youtube.com/watch?v=sU3kz2BvnSs
The conflict between Kenshiro and Raoh was a tragedy.

Attached: Raoh_(manga).jpg (400x570, 35.16K)

>looks like a mindless macho wall of man meat
>is actually emotionally complex and heavily nuanced.

Attached: raoh cries.jpg (321x239, 12.59K)

My problem with Raoh is that all the wicked shit he did at the start of the series got swept under the rug.
creating a concentration camp for rival martial artists, giving Rei the most agonising death possible, killing the pacifist leader of the village, and generally terrorising the wasteland with his god complex
All of this adds to Raoh’s moral complexity but I feel he’s been somewhat whitewashed in modern times.

He was the catalyst that made Kenshiro into the Saviour the World needed.

Attached: 1646015800500.jpg (380x401, 44.15K)

I don't really see that much of a conflict between his villainous acts and intended goals. All of his actions are in keeping with the lion and fox methods real governments employed to rise to power. Monopolizing the use of force, making examples of opponents, instilling fear of the law, demanding taxation, compelling others to engage in violence, having standards of behaviour and training for soldiers all seem pretty standard.

Well that's sort of the thing isn't it? Even the cruelest of dictators and warlords are simple humans. Humans with dreams, emotions needs and desires. Complex bundles of emotions and personality flaws.

>Remember when big guys weren't just background characters and complete jobbers?
>What changed?
Steroid Muscle is associated with the 80's.

People prefer something a little sleeker now.

We had plenty of sleek heroes back in the 90s. Guys like Kenshin and Yusuke were far more compact. Seems like the typical hero today is straight up shrimps.

Because as storytelling evolved, writers learned that protagonists need to be relatable, and most manga fans are fucking beta male faggots with no idea how to react around women. Pretty easy to understand if you think about it for 3 seconds.

>What changed?
They realized that females buy more stuff

>writers learned that protagonists need to be relatable,

The protagonists WERE relatable. They were relatable on a humanistic level. We could understand them. Feel for them. That's being relatable. What manga readers want now isn't being RELATABLE what they want is self insert JUST LIKE ME garbage because they intimidated by comics. Used to be heroes would inspire us. Made us want to be better. And they were still relatable if not more so because of that. Now they're just cheap patronizing excuses to not challenge us. That's not being relatable. That's being lazy and self centered. If you can't relate to someone on a human level because they're different from you then you are shallow.

Attached: kenshiro.jpg (1024x674, 54.27K)

Raoh was still an autist. Why kill the Ghandi wannabe? Because his village preached non-resistance? What were they meant to do, try to fight the superhuman Conan-lookalike and his death squadron? I’m sure that would have went well.

>Raoh
>not a jobber
user...

Because they lived in a shitty mad max world were the weak become fodder for the strong and mercy is a luxury one can rarely afford especially if you're trying to conquer. You don't let people who would give your enemies hope un-exampled.

>Oh you won't fill the troop levy because your are pacifists?
>I guess there's no helping it then!

he only lost to kenshiro after basically forfeiting the fight

A common misconception. Raoh was never going to beat Kenshiro. When they both learned Muso Tensei it cancelled out all their fighting techniques and strategy. Raoh even says this “we’ve been taken back to zero”. Basically, it came down to who had the bigger heart. Kenshiro had embraced sadness and sacrifice whereas Raoh had suppressed it.

>became the villain for the good of the world
Absolute bullshit to make sense of the series post-Raoh’s death, everything in the early manga events made Raoh and his followers to be absolute brutes who were out to make people suffer as much as possible, him being "tough for the greater good" doesn’t fit with the early manga chapters narrative, Raoh being seen as a savior for the Shura inhabitants later on is a joke.