I think I get what's going on thematically, but what is literally going on towards the end of episode 25 of evangelion

I think I get what's going on thematically, but what is literally going on towards the end of episode 25 of evangelion.

Throughout the episode they're dissecting these characters as their minds in some way bounce off each other in instrumentality. I get that. You can basically show anything and its explained as just a representation of their psychological problems.

However towards the end Shinji is in that empty theatre which I take it is a metaphor for isolating himself into his own little asocial world, where so to speak the show is over because he alienated and rejected other people; the actors on the stage of his world.

But the thing is, this scene is not just presented as an externalisation of Shinji's mind. The subs I was reading felt super ambiguous and confusing, but seemingly this is not just to illustrate what's wrong with Shinji. This metaphor is also meant to represent what instrumentality is; instrumentality is basically what Shinji wanted and results in a state analagous to the real existence he was in the process of cultivating.

This doesn't make much sense to me. I thought instrumentality was everyone coming together into a singular being, not something akin to being alone or dead. And if you want to say that the end of your independent existence and your ego being dissolved is a form of death, that still doesn't seem to work because that's a very different state of affairs from the realistic scenario of self isolation Shinji is being confronted with, and the desire for conventional death it is purported to amount to. Instrumentality seems to me to be a way of embracing others in a pain-free way, rather than the hard work and pain of doing so as an individual. It is a process of moving towards and embracing others, just in a fantastical way that is too easy and antithetical to your humanity. Having it as a metaphor for Shinji rejecting others in the name of petty comfort and pain avoidance just doesn't seem to make sense. It's the reverse.

Attached: EcC7jc5WkAUeg_b.jpg (400x296, 11.77K)

didn't read + L + ratio

I always took Instrumentality for Shinji to mean rejecting who he was as a person, killing himself in a way, as the parts of him that caused him pain when attempting to connect to others were the same parts that made him who he was.

You're being a really autistic attention seeker about finding anime discussion on the anime discussion board

malding

Fpbp

>This doesn't make much sense to me.
Anno set out to do that. He's a cunt.

Lol

>This doesn't make much sense to me
I won't pretend that I've read the whole thing, but anime originals almost always try to conceal their bad writing with "deep", philosophical themes, and it's no wonder they all feel alike. Instrumentality is just a meaningless concept that is introduced to the plot because of the writers' inability to create not only compelling characters with reasonable motivation (instead of a villain who longs to destroy/unify the world for example) or a plot that evolves in a healthy manner and has a discreet conclusion (and not 'it all comes tumbling down'), but something new period. That's why it is so over-used across numerous anime series,.

>It is a process of moving towards and embracing others, just in a fantastical way that is too easy
how can it be embracing others if self and others cease to exist as empirical possibilities

>235482877
Eat shit twitter mumbler

Same. That he ultimately rejects Instrumentality makes it curious, though.

>but what is literally going on towards the end of episode 25
The movie covers that.

>This metaphor is also meant to represent what instrumentality is; instrumentality is basically what Shinji wanted and results in a state analagous to the real existence he was in the process of cultivating.
You misinterpreted it entirely.
EoE is NOT canon to 25/26.

From memory, I thought Shinji being in the theater was supposed to represent him running from reality. Instead of living an actual life, instrumentality would be like a theater play.

Pretty much.

fpbp

>I think I get what's going on thematically, but what is literally going on towards the end of episode 25 of evangelion.
There is nothing literally going on because there is no reality. They're all trapped in limbo. Presumably each character is going through their own personal hell like we see with shinji.
Oh and if you ever have sleep paralysis after a stressful event you'll get to experience this kind of thing firsthand.

Attached: nandor wellness.jpg (1200x600, 170.26K)

Or the other way around. Attempts suicide, actually and symbolically, but then the survival instinct kicks in and decides it's not having any of that shit. You want to hold hands and spend the rest of eternity pitying youselves? Fine.

>but what is literally going on towards the end of episode 25 of evangelion.
He is in his own mind.
The evangelion TV series ends with a broken down shinji sorting out his own problems in his mind.

>EoE is NOT canon to 25/26.
Since when?

since always
>Thus, the story of Eva would branch into two stories with the diverging point being the end of Episode Twenty-Four "The Final Messenger." The two stories each unfold differently and arrive at their own climaxes.
>It is not that one is the complete version and the other is incomplete. Just like the multiple endings of a game, two different endings were prepared for one story.
-Renewal/Platinum booklets

>Thus, the story of Evangelion branches into two after the last scene of episode 24. There is one ending as shown in TV episodes 25 and 26, while episodes 25' and 26' as shown in "THE END OF EVANGELION" are another ending.
-EoE theatrical pamphlet

>(at the beginning of episode 26) At last, the [Human Instrumentality Project] has been executed. ... How about the complementation of Shinji? How about the complementation of Shinji's heart? Here the path of Shinji's is described.
>(at the end of episode 26) Amidst the many words of congratulations, a faint smile starts at the corners of Shinji's mouth (and spreads across his face). A happy face -- that is the figure of the Complemented Shinji.
-Newtype Filmbook

>Hayashibara: So there will be two episode 25s.
>Anno: Right, it will be a multi-ending.
>Hayashibara: So, a dual... ah, a multi-ending. After episode 24 the endings will diverge.
>Anno: Right.
>Hayashibara: There will be two of them.
>Anno: There will be two of them.
>Hayashibara: Ah, two endings.
>Anno: Yes.
>Hayashibara: In terms of gaming - is it called a simulation game? What do you call it? The ending for that [particular] self changes as you go on [through the game].
>Anno: Right, a multi-ending [game].
-Megumi's Radio Interview, 1996